Lesson Learned, Just Don't Panic!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH scared the daylights out of me yesterday. She did not pop up to go out of the bedroom with me when I woke up. I called to her, still she didn't move. I got down and touched her and she didn't move and it didn't seem like she was breathing. I petted her a bit and wiggled her and of course started crying inconsolably because I was certain she had just died. She was warm and pliable but didn't respond at all.

Then I got up and went to the other room to get the phone to call Bruce because he was fishing. I let Amy outside, then went back in the bedroom and she was sitting up on her bed like nothing had happened and she seems perfectly fine. She is acting perfectly normal now.

I was in immediate Panic mode, and it took me hours to recover and stop tearing up just thinking about it.

We took her to the vet, and she is perfectly normal. They did a CBC (blood tests) to rule out any imbalances, but apparently from talking with other Mods I've learned this isn't so very uncommon in older EB's. They just sometimes sleep very very soundly.

So if she ever does this again I know to be extra sure she isn't just sleeping soundly before I panic.

I'm posting this here just so others will perhaps see it and it might help them not panic if they ever experience the same thing.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh poor you. So sorry you went through that, it must have been quite a scare and a shock to think HRH had passed away. I would definetely have panicked too. I'm glad she's okay, and there aren't any medical problems with her. She just scared Daddy.

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh poor you. So sorry you went through that, it must have been quite a scare and a shock to think HRH had passed away. I would definetely have panicked too. I'm glad she's okay, and there aren't any medical problems with her. She just scared Daddy.

I'm momma :) Daddy was off fishing.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Lari, as I said already that's so scary and heartbreaking. Had I not had Sally to experience this type of very deep sleep, I too would have been quite alarmed. Sally sleeps like the dead. I can pick her up, move her and she still does not wake up. It takes me a few times doing this for her to even lift her head. I'll carry her downstairs and put her down and she goes right back to sleep until I physically take her outside to potty. Even this morning I scooped her up and carried her downstairs then outside and turned her upside down in my arms and she was limp as a noodle until I set her down to potty.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I was out salmon fishing about 6-7 miles offshore on Lake MI when Lari called me. Pretty much nothing I could do as we were already heading back towards show by then.It was quite alarming tho and I told Lari to call and tell the vet she was coming in ... appointment or not.. lol Lari felt the urgency was past so we took her in once I got home. Vet followed up just a few minutes ago to report on the blood panel which was a relief. We'll watch her carefully but I guess at this point she is as good as ever..... sleeping under my chair :angelheart:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
the good news :babysleep:

AND
the bad :owned:

glad HRH is ok guys,

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
:hug: Just thinking about how you must have felt makes me to want to :cry:. It's amazing how much we love our bullies.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I would have freaked too! I've been an emotional wreck since December....Vegas's epilepsy all of a sudden getting worse. I'm in complete freak out/panic mode at all times. I don't know what I would have done if this happened to Vegas. Glad she is okay. Really really really glad she is okay.

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would have freaked too! I've been an emotional wreck since December....Vegas's epilepsy all of a sudden getting worse. I'm in complete freak out/panic mode at all times. I don't know what I would have done if this happened to Vegas. Glad she is okay. Really really really glad she is okay.

I thought of you and Vegas during the aftermath, especially when we still weren't sure if this was some sort of seizure. I know we are given the strength to deal with what we must. But I also know how difficult it has to be for you to have to watch this happen to him and be so helpless to do anything about it. :hug:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Thanks for posting as I have never heard this before. So if it ever happens around here I will have this as a reference and won't go off the deep end

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] , i was feeling so terrible for you too when you first posted this on FB :assurred:. I'm so happy to hear that Gracie is a-o-kay! :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.