pet insurance

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
Those of you who have insurance, has it really helped with your bullies medical bills? What do they basically cover? Which insurance carrier do you recommend? What if they have a pre-existing condition? About how much does a good insurance cost a month?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hi. we have pet secure insurance. might be Canadian. we pay about $50/mo. goes up a few dollars each year, we have the highest deductible which is $500. after that 500, they pay 80% of all bills with a cap of 2500 per year per condition . the per year per condition its a very good thing, not per condition period. Lola got a tooth extracted and elongated palate surgery that cost about4000 but thankfully i got a check within days to cover most of it. in time to pay the credit card bill even. no existing conditions covered but Lola had been covered since puppy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Those of you who have insurance, has it really helped with your bullies medical bills? What do they basically cover? Which insurance carrier do you recommend? What if they have a pre-existing condition? About how much does a good insurance cost a month?

I have Trupanion insurance, and Thankfully haven't had to use it. It's not for general use, Shots, normal health concerns etc…. It's for emergencies, Accidents, surgery's etc… My deductible is $100.00 and it pays 90% of the bill with no caps. Because I got a very low deductible, my rate is higher per month, I could of easily selected a much higher deductible and paid as little as $35.00 a month. In many cases, they have Vets set up in your area they use, and directly pay them, For me, I'm not as fortunate, I don't have a Vet in my area that accepts any kind of Ins, and only one Emergency Hospital located about 35 miles from me that is open 24/7/365. I'm in one of THOSE areas. My rate of billing is $50 bucks a month for my Rocky. There is a great thread in the articles section, marked/searchable as Pet Insurance, I read it thoroughly before selecting Trupanion, many other here have used it and spoken highly of it. What we all agreed on, is there is no 1 stop insurance company, and different needs are covered by different policies, use what works best for you, your Bully, and your situation.

When I first got Rocky, this was a major concern for me…. I asked my Vet about it, and he said he had never heard of Trupanion, Yet he is a very young Vet… Which might account for why…. He gave me a leaflet entitled "VPI's got you both covered" ROFLMAO !! and it compared services of what he called the top four Pet insurers in the country, Starting with "VPI" then ASPCA", Petplan, and finally "Trupanion". Notice he's never heard of it, but was listed as #4 in the Top 4 in his leaflet. Vet's are very good for pushing products out the door, Foods, Insurance, Medications, all of which their recommendations often leads to Bonuses, Percentages of profits, and vacations for them, Please note this of the vets pushing foods such as "Science Diet" & "Royal Candian", and another subject we talk a lot about a lot, which is heart worm Medicine, "Trifexis" Please also do your research on this medication, and let your conscience be your guide, and please Remember your decision effects your Bully's life. I hope my answer is found non biased, but direct, and allows you some opportunity to research some of these companies, and medications, you'll be faced with these issues soon enough. Please keep tuned to the threads on this site, Because we often talk about them, Improvements made to them, Risk Factors involved, and I do mean you get to read both sides of the coin, As why I gotta say this site is the best on the Internet, because we all don't agree on anything, different issues demand different answers, and just like life, You have to do whats best for you and your Bully, and remember at the end of the day, were all just here for the Love of our pets, and just because we don't agree on one subject, you'll often find that you and that same member may completely agree on another. You can always PM a member and ask "Why" I have, lol, and I find that we are often in different situations, which demands different answers. :yes:

Last edited:

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I have had trupanion since I got my ebd. It has paid for itself. There is no pay out limit and you can choose your deductible. I paid $101.00 monthly which is 90% coverage except the office visit charge and preventative medicine.( Vaccinations. heartworm flea prevention) for the first year. I had been having to have my vet fax the claim forms to Trupanion but now we are doing something called Rapid Claims and if your vet will approve you it means you are only responsible for your co-pay at the time of the visit.. People warned me they would double my premium after a year but no.. there is a 10% cap, each year on how much they can raise it. Hero

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
We have both of our dogs (Yorkie, English Bullie) insured with Banfield which is available for about $35/month at Petsmart.
So far, they have been excellent, most recently with Walley Bubba (EBD) neutering and Shadow (Yorkie) ACL.
They have provided us with documentation showing we would have spent thousands more over the years with just the Yorkie without insurance.
The older lady Vet who usually sees WB seemed like a bit of a "Broom Hilda" at first, but she really knows her stuff and always gives good advice.
The younger ladies who are Vet Tech's for the most part really dolt on WB and always ask how he's doing when Ann takes Shadow in.
She's not too happy that they dolt over WB more than Shadow.

It's really all about who you get to know and trust personally rather than some Corporate America propaganda.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.