Help Needed! Tebow's continuing skin issues

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Hi all:
It's Tebow's human again. First I want to thank you all for helping out a very worried mommy when T had an ear ache. His ears are both perfect and no more pain!

But now for his skin. About 2 months after we got T we found he had demadectic mange and an assortment of other issues we've dealt with, but the skin issues keep returning.

There seems to be 2 different issues, one is similar to the demadectic mange, but the other are pinkish and some brownish bumps under his armpits, the groin area and the inside and a few outside of his back legs. (I hope to put up a pic later-don't have my camera with me)

I've taken him to his vet several times and he just says T has skin issues he'll have forever and puts him on steroids. They help only as long as he's on them. He doesn't scratch, but does gnaw his back legs occasionally.

I've changed his food to Blue Diamond Basics grain free, but my father does give him veggies and fruit and gives him little bites of my his dinner. Any suggestions, please!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We have the same problem with our 6 month old puppy. It started a little over a month ago. Nothing's been helping but Temaril-P. Then when we took him off it, it came back within 2 days. Same places as you mention. I'm hoping as it's allergy season, it'll clear up when it's over. Good luck and keep us updated if you find something that helps.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
well first thing is stop the little bites of people food. Try the new food and watch what treats you give him. We use Fruitables pet treats which are great, or you can just keep giving the fruits and veggies like you are doing, just make sure no grapes or raisins. I hope the new food will help.

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I'm trying to get my dad to stop with the human treats, but he says he can't stand Tebow's begging eyes ;-) Unfortunately I live almost 3 hours away so I'm not with T all the time, but he's always on my heart! My non bully friends are getting sick of my constant bully stories. And I must say your Bully Babies are just adorable! Thanks

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I will keep the group posted in case I find a cure. I'm concerned it might be a grass allergy and since grass is everywhere how do you fight that. At least it doesn't seem to bother him, but I worry it may be hurting him inside and I don't know it. I use shampoo his vet says is for his skin, but it doesn't seem to help the bumps. Let me know if you discover a cure too. Mr. Blue is absolutely gorgeous! What a precious sleeping baby

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We had same thisng With Shy - she mean to be put on steroids for rest of her life
first thing we done is put Shy on hypo allergic food to rule out food allergy , and sent her for an allergy test turn out she allergic to wheat,beef and grass- she had jabs for that , but sadly for some dogs they dont work- year passed and shes off the steroids - looks like her body stopped reacting so bad to her allergies and she is off the steroids - took us 9 months (she developed allergies at 10 weeks of age ,but shes still allergic to those things)
the best you can do like everyone else suggested its stopping human food as most likely its food that cause the allergy i was told by a vet that steroids slow down dogs metabolism and thinning skin (my pup was put on very high dosage)
when its come to grass , before we go out i put thin layer of nappy rash cream on her paws and belly (sudocream in UK) - it creates a barrier and so far so good

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks, is the sudocream a human diaper rash cream? What are the main ingredients? I want to make sure I don't put anything on him that is too strong and he breaks out even more.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Long term steroid is not good. Human diaper rash cream like desitin contains zinc which in certain doses is poisonous to dogs just an FYI (Pati does just use a thin layer) .

Unless Dad is going to cooperate this is going to be tough. With allergies just a little bit of the wrong thing off Dad's plate could cause a reaction. Plus it negates the money you are spending on that expensive grain free food. Can you leave an over abundance of treats that are good for Tebow to have, like next to where Dad eats his meals so maybe he will grab for an approved treat?

Please post a pic so we can all see the bumps.

You haven't listed where you live. Have you had a chance to check out the great Bulldog vet list? I don't know if your vet specializes in Bullies or not but if you are having on going issues a bully vet might be something to consider. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...ews-Recommended-English-Bulldog-Veterinarians

Let's ask [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] about the food and skin problems.

Glad you have joined us here on EBN! Hopefully Tebow can feel better soon. You sound like you want to do everything possible for him that's what make a good Bully Mommy!

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, is the sudocream a human diaper rash cream? What are the main ingredients? I want to make sure I don't put anything on him that is too strong and he breaks out even more.
Yes it is ( not sure what type of diper rash cream you have in US - our is very thick and all my friends who got dogs with allergies swear by it - but like Christy said - thin layer only ,i use it when we going out ad grass is very wet-its ether that or Steroids - wich are not good in the long term as i mentioned already
When my girl visit her vet last time he was surprised how good her skin got

Excipients79.2%water-repellent base
Zinc oxide, EP15.25%astringent, soothing, protective
Lanolin (hypoallergenic)4.00%emollient
Benzyl benzoate, BP1.01%pesticide
Benzyl alcohol, BP0.39%mild anesthetic, disinfectant
Benzyl cinnamate0.15%antibacterial, antifungal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudocrem

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
This is our diaper cream

Desitin Maximum Strength Original Paste

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide

Zinc Oxide is the main active ingredient in Desitin Maximum Strength Original Paste. It acts as a skin protectant to seal out wetness from the wet or soiled diaper and to preserve the skin's natural, clean moisture. The original formula of Desitin contains 40 percent zinc oxide.

Inactive Ingredients

BHA

BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) is a chemical preservative that is added to many cosmetics and food products in the United States to prevent fat spoilage. While it is generally regarded as safe by the FDA, the 11th edition of the Report on Carcinogens by the National Toxicology Program links it to certain cancers and toxicities.

Cod LIver Oil

Cod liver oil is produced from fish and is high in Vitamins A and D. These are present in the product to help facilitate healing of damaged skin. The oily nature of this ingredient also helps to lock in good moisture and to provide a barrier to protect the skin from soil in the diaper.

Fragrance

This is added to give the product a pleasant scent and to mask the fishy odor of the cod liver oil.

Lanolin

Produced from the wool of sheep, this ingredient acts as a moisture barrier for the skin while healing skin readily uses the fats present in it in the healing process. Lanolin also combines with the ammonia in urine to form an ammonia salt , effectively neutralizing the burning nature of urine. People who are allergic to wool might also react to lanolin.

Methylparaben

This ingredient is an antimicrobial preservative for the product. It can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to parabens.

Petrolatum

Is also known as "white petroleum." Its use in this product is as an emollient, skin protectant and moisturizer. It is made from hydrocarbons of petroleum.

Talc

Talc serves many purposes in this product. It serves as an opacifying agent, giving color to the product. It also serves as a skin conditioner, adding moisture to the skin. Finally, its nature as a solid helps to give the final product the correct consistency. It is generally considered very mild.

Water

Water serves as a solvent for the other ingredients and as liquid to help the product maintain its creamy consistency.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I just looked and I can order Sudocrem on Amazon.com

Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream For Napkin Rash Eczema & Bed Sore
by Sudocrem

Price:$8.34 ($6.67 / 100 g)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by BritishGoodies - shipped from uk.

Note: Free shipping when purchased from BritishGoodies - shipped from uk. Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

Size: 125 G 125 G 400 G

• Has a water-repellent base which forms a protective barrier
  • Stop any irritants (urine and stools) coming into contact with the skin
  • The emollient effect of Sudocrem can help to soothe sore inflamed skin
  • Leaves the skin feeling soft

16 new from $3.48

51Ol8C2iMkL._SL75_.jpg

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
the small pot -last forever - this diaper rash cream is pretty expensive in uk (for what it is)but it is the best on the market - we got small pot used it on Shy and foster dogs and we got it over a year now and still more than half of pot left
looks like Us cream have more zinc than sudocream
Forgot to add - i also bathe dogs in medicated shampoo once in a few months and oatmeal shampoo in between

Last edited:

Most Reactions