URGENT!!! Emergency

theswopes

Jan 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyle
Came home last night and my roommate's dog had really roughed up my bully. He came to us as a rescue, and doesn't have many teeth, so couldn't defend himself. It really must have scared him because he pooed himself and it was all over him.

He's got bite marks on his jowls, neck wrinkles, and shoulder. The side where it hurts him is tender to the touch and feels hard, yet squishy. I am really worried about him. He is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. Should I leave him be and see if he improves?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just watch it closely for infection. But if you do not want to come home to a dead bully, from over exertion from play or fighting, crate him or both of them when you are gone. Period. It's the safest thing for him.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
oh dear, that's horrible for your poor bully. the vet likely isn't open tonight but I'd clean all the wounds and use polysporin or another antibacterial lotion on them. maybe an animal hospital is open or hit the vet tomorrow morning. leave amessage tonight so they expect you? then I'd find a way to separate those two dogs when no one is home, and maybe while you're homeas well. your bulldog may never relax or feel at home if he's on edge. I'd do everything i could to make sure therescue is ok now and in the future. i really hope he's feeling better soon. what a shame :(

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Came home last night and my roommate's dog had really roughed up my bully. He came to us as a rescue, and doesn't have many teeth, so couldn't defend himself. It really must have scared him because he pooed himself and it was all over him.

He's got bite marks on his jowls, neck wrinkles, and shoulder. The side where it hurts him is tender to the touch and feels hard, yet squishy. I am really worried about him. He is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. Should I leave him be and see if he improves?

ON NO.... clean everything with peroxide and take him to the vet tomorrow... you do not want to see him get infections. as David said... you should keep them separated when not supervised. We had to do this with Banks and Nitschke at times.... Banks would attack Nitschke for no reason when we were home so we did not want to risk her doing something when we weren't there.

Good luck... hope everything is OK and your boy heals up quick

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How awful!!! How were they before this happened??? No matter the answer you can never trust them alone ever again.

I certainly would be keeping the wounds clean - wipe with hydrogen peroxide and use neosporin. Watch VERY closely and rush to the vets at the slightest sign of infection.

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
Your bully will need to be on antibiotics... been there, done that. I'd clean the wounds tonight and take him in to see the vet first thing in the morning. You do not want an infection!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..it will most likely abcess..and if it gets infected it is horrible for him. What a crummy thing thing to happen to your new friend. I absolutely concur...they can't be left alone ever...clean his wounds but take him in. The hard squishy you feel could be a hematoma and need a draining.

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That's so horrible. I would never take that chance again knowing what just happened. One of them should be crated when you guys are not home. There was a bully that died recently that was on Facebook. They other dog and it got into a serious fight when they weren't home. After I few days I believe he died of his wounds. It was really sad. I wish you the best of luck and hope that they are crated.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Others have more and better advice but I would think a vet check up should be in order. Poor baby. :( def keep the pups crated for their safety when alone. Thank gawd the outcome wasn't worse.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
poor poor baby please take care of him - especially since he's a rescue he has seen enough trauma in his life.
Dogs get irritable just like people do and any little thing can set them off. Please crate him for safety when you're not around to supervise.
He'll love you more for it! Feel better soon sweet baby~!

HoochsMom

May 20, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Poor baby bully...........I definitely would take him to the vet to be checked over asap!!! Also, if possible, crate him in a different room than that other dog. If he doesn't have to be looking at the other dog all day, everyday, maybe he will begin to let the drama go and get back to being a happy, healthy bully. Give him extra love and attention as he heals too. <3

Kimmy

Jun 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hurley Who MaGoo
All the advice given is absolutely wonderful. Crating a pet that is home alone is not harmful to the pet. Make sure he has a fan. You can even leave the TV or radio on too. Given what has already happened to him ... he will feel so much more safe in a crate. You may soon see that he will go to it all on his own for naps.

OP
T

theswopes

Jan 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyle
Thanks soo much for all of the advice. Went to the vet first thing this morning. Kyle had no problem telling the vet just how crummy he felt. He was so sweet, the vet even took our office visit charge off. He is now on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication, and has been shaved. He looks silly but he is almost acting like himself again.

His lymphnode is very swollen. Vet is worried he may have punctured his salivary gland. Can't tell yet until the swelling goes down. Will keep you all updated. Here is a picture below.

Also, just so everyone feels better, he is staying in my bedroom--he has the master room to himself and I have asked my roommate to do the same with her dog.

I guess the next thing I would want advice on is how to broach the subject of having her help with the bills if he needs surgery. . . .

image.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks soo much for all of the advice. Went to the vet first thing this morning. Kyle had no problem telling the vet just how crummy he felt. He was so sweet, the vet even took our office visit charge off. He is now on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication, and has been shaved. He looks silly but he is almost acting like himself again.

His lymphnode is very swollen. Vet is worried he may have punctured his salivary gland. Can't tell yet until the swelling goes down. Will keep you all updated. Here is a picture below.

Also, just so everyone feels better, he is staying in my bedroom--he has the master room to himself and I have asked my roommate to do the same with her dog.

I guess the next thing I would want advice on is how to broach the subject of having her help with the bills if he needs surgery. . . .

View attachment 46023

Ah, Kyle -- you sweetie! Prayers for a quick recovery without surgery. hugs to you buddy

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.