Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kyle
    Likes (Received)

Default Emergency

Came home last night and my roommate's dog had really roughed up my bully. He came to us as a rescue, and doesn't have many teeth, so couldn't defend himself. It really must have scared him because he pooed himself and it was all over him.

He's got bite marks on his jowls, neck wrinkles, and shoulder. The side where it hurts him is tender to the touch and feels hard, yet squishy. I am really worried about him. He is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. Should I leave him be and see if he improves?

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Emergency

Just watch it closely for infection. But if you do not want to come home to a dead bully, from over exertion from play or fighting, crate him or both of them when you are gone. Period. It's the safest thing for him.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

oh dear, that's horrible for your poor bully. the vet likely isn't open tonight but I'd clean all the wounds and use polysporin or another antibacterial lotion on them. maybe an animal hospital is open or hit the vet tomorrow morning. leave amessage tonight so they expect you? then I'd find a way to separate those two dogs when no one is home, and maybe while you're homeas well. your bulldog may never relax or feel at home if he's on edge. I'd do everything i could to make sure therescue is ok now and in the future. i really hope he's feeling better soon. what a shame

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theswopes View Post
    Came home last night and my roommate's dog had really roughed up my bully. He came to us as a rescue, and doesn't have many teeth, so couldn't defend himself. It really must have scared him because he pooed himself and it was all over him.

He's got bite marks on his jowls, neck wrinkles, and shoulder. The side where it hurts him is tender to the touch and feels hard, yet squishy. I am really worried about him. He is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. Should I leave him be and see if he improves?
    ON NO.... clean everything with peroxide and take him to the vet tomorrow... you do not want to see him get infections. as David said... you should keep them separated when not supervised. We had to do this with Banks and Nitschke at times.... Banks would attack Nitschke for no reason when we were home so we did not want to risk her doing something when we weren't there.

Good luck... hope everything is OK and your boy heals up quick
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

How awful!!! How were they before this happened??? No matter the answer you can never trust them alone ever again.

I certainly would be keeping the wounds clean - wipe with hydrogen peroxide and use neosporin. Watch VERY closely and rush to the vets at the slightest sign of infection.

Real Name
    Terri
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
    Likes (Received)

Your bully will need to be on antibiotics... been there, done that. I'd clean the wounds tonight and take him in to see the vet first thing in the morning. You do not want an infection!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Yes..it will most likely abcess..and if it gets infected it is horrible for him. What a crummy thing thing to happen to your new friend. I absolutely concur...they can't be left alone ever...clean his wounds but take him in. The hard squishy you feel could be a hematoma and need a draining.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 06-12-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

That's so horrible. I would never take that chance again knowing what just happened. One of them should be crated when you guys are not home. There was a bully that died recently that was on Facebook. They other dog and it got into a serious fight when they weren't home. After I few days I believe he died of his wounds. It was really sad. I wish you the best of luck and hope that they are crated.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Others have more and better advice but I would think a vet check up should be in order. Poor baby. def keep the pups crated for their safety when alone. Thank gawd the outcome wasn't worse.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

poor poor baby please take care of him - especially since he's a rescue he has seen enough trauma in his life.
    Dogs get irritable just like people do and any little thing can set them off. Please crate him for safety when you're not around to supervise.
    He'll love you more for it! Feel better soon sweet baby~!

Cheerio mates!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooch
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby bully...........I definitely would take him to the vet to be checked over asap!!! Also, if possible, crate him in a different room than that other dog. If he doesn't have to be looking at the other dog all day, everyday, maybe he will begin to let the drama go and get back to being a happy, healthy bully. Give him extra love and attention as he heals too. <3

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hurley Who MaGoo
    Likes (Received)

All the advice given is absolutely wonderful. Crating a pet that is home alone is not harmful to the pet. Make sure he has a fan. You can even leave the TV or radio on too. Given what has already happened to him ... he will feel so much more safe in a crate. You may soon see that he will go to it all on his own for naps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads