General Question GDV (Bloat) After Neuter...

Koakley

Jan 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker Ram
My beloved Bullie went in to get neutered last Wednesday, everything went fine. About 9pm that same night after he had come home things went terribly wrong. He had the classic symptoms of GDV or others know it as bloat. We rushed him to the hospital, and he had to have emergency surgery. Thousands of dollars later, our baby is back home with us. We heard that we are very lucky seeing that GDV kills 30% of dogs before they can be saved. Has anybody else experienced GDV in their bullie? We were told that it isn't that common in EBs, but obviously it happened to our Tanker.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry for this horrible experience, buit very happy to hear he is home and healthy with you

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
My Gunnyboy passed last year to bloat. Everything was fine all day , he acted normal was active with no cause for concern. The next morning about 5:00 am he woke me up, running frantically in pain, I called the emergency vet and he said to hurry and get him in because it sounds like Bloat. He layed down and I layed next to him and he died in my arms.You are so lucky to have saved your babie, most arent so lucky. I still cry and miss him so much, we were together 24/7 and Ill never be the same without him. Hug your babies and give them all the love you can, I found out the hard way that no one is promised tomorrow.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Sadly, my bully Samson died after coming home from the vet after suffering a spinal injury...he came home, drank an entire bowl of water...I left him kenneled and ran some errands for him...when I came back, Sammy had died of stomach bloat. My vet said a lot of dogs die like this because we (owners) don't know what is happening and by the time we get the dogs to the vet, it is too late. Usually once they are neutered, the vet tacks the stomach...larger breeds tend to suffer from GDV because of the way the stomach is tacked.

You are indeed lucky to have saved your baby.
:)

BULDOZER

Sep 27, 2012
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
CH CLASSIC ZIPSER BOBBY
Yes, you were lucky....... I wasn't. I saw my boy in the morning when i woke up , stiff and cold. He was just 1 year old.
You are very lucky!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Oh my gosh..I'm so sry to hear of all your experiences! I am glad to hear that Tanker is ok.

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Oh my, I didn't realize so many in this forum have lost pets due to bloat. I'm glad that your pet survived.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Glad that he is ok!! Did they do a gastroplexy on him? Once the stomach twists it can very easily happen again.

With 2 bulldogs and a great dane in the house I ALWAYS carry gas-x strips with me just in case.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Glad that he is ok!! Did they do a gastroplexy on him? Once the stomach twists it can very easily happen again.

With 2 bulldogs and a great dane in the house I ALWAYS carry gas-x strips with me just in case.

When n how do you give the bully gas x?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thank God he's fine. Can imagine your panic.. :*(

- - - Updated - - -

Do you just give one strip?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
When n how do you give the bully gas x?

Thank God he's fine. Can imagine your panic.. :*(

- - - Updated - - -

Do you just give one strip?

If you suspect bloat you give one or 2 strips (depending on the dogs size) on the way to the hospital. It could buy some more time for successful treatment.

OP
Koakley

Koakley

Jan 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker Ram
We were very lucky indeed! I'm so sorry about your baby Samson. Thankfully the surgeon at the emergency clinic did a gastropexy while Tanker was under anesthesia for the emergency surgery. My regular vet that did the neuter said that it's not common in bulldogs, so that's why a gastropexy is not standard of care when a EB is neutered. I find this statement just absurd, especially seeing and knowing how many english bulldog owners have had to see their babies suffer because of bloat. But I know that no matter what, the next bullie that I have neutered will be getting a gastropexy done microscopically. I can't imagine having to go through another bloat again with any of my dogs.

OP
Koakley

Koakley

Jan 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker Ram
Sadly, my bully Samson died after coming home from the vet after suffering a spinal injury...he came home, drank an entire bowl of water...I left him kenneled and ran some errands for him...when I came back, Sammy had died of stomach bloat. My vet said a lot of dogs die like this because we (owners) don't know what is happening and by the time we get the dogs to the vet, it is too late. Usually once they are neutered, the vet tacks the stomach...larger breeds tend to suffer from GDV because of the way the stomach is tacked.

You are indeed lucky to have saved your baby.
:)

We were very lucky indeed! I'm so sorry about your baby Samson. Thankfully the surgeon at the emergency clinic did a gastropexy while Tanker was under anesthesia for the emergency surgery. My regular vet that did the neuter said that it's not common in bulldogs, so that's why a gastropexy is not standard of care when a EB is neutered. I find this statement just absurd, especially seeing and knowing how many english bulldog owners have had to see their babies suffer because of bloat. But I know that no matter what, the next bullie that I have neutered will be getting a gastropexy done microscopically. I can't imagine having to go through another bloat again with any of my dogs.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog

I am TOTALLY with you on that...I don't think I could take the heart-break of losing another dog to bloat. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online