Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GDV (Bloat) After Neuter...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tanker Ram
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: GDV (Bloat) After Neuter...

We were very lucky indeed! I'm so sorry about your baby Samson. Thankfully the surgeon at the emergency clinic did a gastropexy while Tanker was under anesthesia for the emergency surgery. My regular vet that did the neuter said that it's not common in bulldogs, so that's why a gastropexy is not standard of care when a EB is neutered. I find this statement just absurd, especially seeing and knowing how many english bulldog owners have had to see their babies suffer because of bloat. But I know that no matter what, the next bullie that I have neutered will be getting a gastropexy done microscopically. I can't imagine having to go through another bloat again with any of my dogs.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tanker Ram
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine215 View Post
    Sadly, my bully Samson died after coming home from the vet after suffering a spinal injury...he came home, drank an entire bowl of water...I left him kenneled and ran some errands for him...when I came back, Sammy had died of stomach bloat. My vet said a lot of dogs die like this because we (owners) don't know what is happening and by the time we get the dogs to the vet, it is too late. Usually once they are neutered, the vet tacks the stomach...larger breeds tend to suffer from GDV because of the way the stomach is tacked.

You are indeed lucky to have saved your baby.

We were very lucky indeed! I'm so sorry about your baby Samson. Thankfully the surgeon at the emergency clinic did a gastropexy while Tanker was under anesthesia for the emergency surgery. My regular vet that did the neuter said that it's not common in bulldogs, so that's why a gastropexy is not standard of care when a EB is neutered. I find this statement just absurd, especially seeing and knowing how many english bulldog owners have had to see their babies suffer because of bloat. But I know that no matter what, the next bullie that I have neutered will be getting a gastropexy done microscopically. I can't imagine having to go through another bloat again with any of my dogs.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Koakley View Post
    I am TOTALLY with you on that...I don't think I could take the heart-break of losing another dog to bloat.

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads