Looking for advice on Ivermectin

GizmosMommy

Nov 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
Hi everyone!

So a lot of you know about the issues i've had with my baby Gizmo.

Well...just when we thought she was getting better we find out she still has the mites.
So at this point the vet has recommended that we place her on a regiment of ivermectin. As great as the results sound, the sideaffects of this drug scare the living crap out of me.

I've done research on the drug and i've seen great things about how this drug can help/fix the problem and get rid of the mites, but I just can't decide if the chances of the bad things that can happen are worth it.

So, does anyone have any advice or opinions on ivermectin?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie was on it for a while right after her 1st heat. They started her on .6 cc for a week, then we were to up her to 1.2 cc... it made her sick to have the high dose. After she vomited once, we called the vet and they told us to keep her on .8 cc. She cleared up quickly after that. I would recommend to keep it low unless it just is not working. She had a bad outbreak on the whole back of her neck and onto her back. Hair falling out, scratched herself bloody one night, etc. It was big and nasty. If only .8 can clear that up, I think it'd be best if you do decide to go with it to keep it on the low side.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I wish I could help , but I have zero experience with this drug. I only know about the dips. It's a good thing you are doing research , but don't limit yourself to just one site. explore many. and [MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] has told you of hers, please keep me posted.

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
I have always used Ivermectin as the primary heartworm preventative in my other dogs, and it works great! It's the active ingredient in Heartgard, and as long as you dose it right- .10cc/10 pounds (so, a 50# dog would receive 1/2 cc; a 100# dog would receive 1 cc)- I give that dosage once monthly for preventative. But, I have also used it for treatment with mange- and it has always worked well. With mange, it was a daily dosage.

I had the question wondering if it was generally safe for the EBD breed- but since your vet recommended it- I'm assuming it is. I'll call my vet tomorrow to confirm as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry -- no experience with it, but I know it is the most used for mites

Becky Zerkel Heft

May 5, 2013
My Cooper has been on 1.2 cc of Ivermectin for the last month for mites. He has not had adverse effects with the accepting of general fatigue during the initial building dosages. I am hoping for a negative scrapping next week so we will only have it for another month then. It is very bitter, Cooper hates it and can smell it as soon as I approach him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
because of sarahs allergies she is on liquid ivermectin for her heartworm meds and has been on it for a year with no problems. not sure what dose she is on though as my vet mixes it up.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Hi everyone!

So a lot of you know about the issues i've had with my baby Gizmo.

Well...just when we thought she was getting better we find out she still has the mites.
So at this point the vet has recommended that we place her on a regiment of ivermectin. As great as the results sound, the sideaffects of this drug scare the living crap out of me.

I've done research on the drug and i've seen great things about how this drug can help/fix the problem and get rid of the mites, but I just can't decide if the chances of the bad things that can happen are worth it.

So, does anyone have any advice or opinions on ivermectin?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

How is Gizmo?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.