Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
So here we go again with the penis' pocket infection :( . Ulysses started leaking a lot of that creamy yellowish/greenish stuff out of his pecker again about 4 weeks ago, he was already treated for it with everyday flushing and local antibiotics (the same that are used for cows) last year in september/october. Apart from the creamy stuff, this time an abscess appeared on his tummy. Exactly a year ago he had also an abscess on his tummy supposedly due to a tick bite. Well, now I'm thinking it was not only the tick bite. The vet told me this time, that the infection and the bacteria that resides in there might have gotten into some little scratch on his belly and by that created the abscesses. I'm not sure what happened exactly but I am sick of having Ulysses sick because of this :nope:

The vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and that cleared out the abscess but now he has what I believe to be a yeast infection all over his face wrinkles. For the pocket I am now flushing it and applying local antibiotic inside the pocket again, just like last year. I just feel so frustrated because I don't think that this should be the permanent solution but my vet insists it is, she says he has a chronic infection down there and that's it. She has also insisted that I should not neutered him the many times I have asked for it. I have now made an appointment with a new vet in a bigger clinic, I have made up my mind and I will have Ulysses neutered this or next week and see if this helps.

He is currently very stinky, don't now if it is his peewee, his face or just stress from the whole thing. Any recommendation or experience with this? how should I treat the yeast infection? he is already loosing hair from his side wrinkles.... any advice will be very much appreciated! Any opinions on the neutering? thanks!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
So here we go again with the penis' pocket infection :( . Ulysses started leaking a lot of that creamy yellowish/greenish stuff out of his pecker again about 4 weeks ago, he was already treated for it with everyday flushing and local antibiotics (the same that are used for cows) last year in september/october. Apart from the creamy stuff, this time an abscess appeared on his tummy. Exactly a year ago he had also an abscess on his tummy supposedly due to a tick bite. Well, now I'm thinking it was not only the tick bite. The vet told me this time, that the infection and the bacteria that resides in there might have gotten into some little scratch on his belly and by that created the abscesses. I'm not sure what happened exactly but I am sick of having Ulysses sick because of this :nope:

The vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and that cleared out the abscess but now he has what I believe to be a yeast infection all over his face wrinkles. For the pocket I am now flushing it and applying local antibiotic inside the pocket again, just like last year. I just feel so frustrated because I don't think that this should be the permanent solution but my vet insists it is, she says he has a chronic infection down there and that's it. She has also insisted that I should not neutered him the many times I have asked for it. I have now made an appointment with a new vet in a bigger clinic, I have made up my mind and I will have Ulysses neutered this or next week and see if this helps.

He is currently very stinky, don't now if it is his peewee, his face or just stress from the whole thing. Any recommendation or experience with this? how should I treat the yeast infection? he is already loosing hair from his side wrinkles.... any advice will be very much appreciated! Any opinions on the neutering? thanks!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I feel so bad for both of you and constant antibiotics are NOT the answer
and could be the cause of his yeast. I looked at your profile and saw you
feed Arcana Chicken/Potato,n if still feeding that, he could be sensitive to
the Chicken and also the Potato as many bullies are and that could cause
yeast. Fromm's has a new flavor that is Pork/Peas that might benefit him.
I would rec'md a probiotic to reestablish the good bacteria in his gut killed
off by the antibiotics...'Pearls' is a good one and easy to find. Are you adding
Apple Cider Vinegar to his water (about 1 teasp to fresh water) it also helps
healthy gut and creates alkaline gut instead of acidic gut and kills yeast & other
bacteria. I would also rec'md finding a holistic Vet, if possible, that is interested
in finding the problem not just treating the symptoms!

There IS an answer, please hang in there...does Vet say WHY she doesn't want
him neutered?

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I feel so bad for both of you and constant antibiotics are NOT the answer
and could be the cause of his yeast. I looked at your profile and saw you
feed Arcana Chicken/Potato,n if still feeding that, he could be sensitive to
the Chicken and also the Potato as many bullies are and that could cause
yeast. Fromm's has a new flavor that is Pork/Peas that might benefit him.
I would rec'md a probiotic to reestablish the good bacteria in his gut killed
off by the antibiotics...'Pearls' is a good one and easy to find. Are you adding
Apple Cider Vinegar to his water (about 1 teasp to fresh water) it also helps
healthy gut and creates alkaline gut instead of acidic gut and kills yeast & other
bacteria. I would also rec'md finding a holistic Vet, if possible, that is interested
in finding the problem not just treating the symptoms!

There IS an answer, please hang in there...does Vet say WHY she doesn't want
him neutered?

Thank you Carol. I will get the ACV and put it in his water. I'm currently giving him LC1 probiotic yogurt, he loves it and I think it's good for his tummy. About 2 months ago I changed him to Acana Pacifica, I just forgot to update our profile. He is doing really great on it, and the yeast started right after the antibiotics so I'm pretty sure it's due to them. I would love to try Fromm but in Germany it is practically impossible to get, I have tried but I actually feel lucky I found a reliable supplier of Acana.

Our vet argues that he is too heavy - 63 pounds- and has already breathing problems and that neutering is just gonna make it worse. I tought it was a very odd reason cause I could just feed him less but then I thought well while he is OK and healthy why bother him with a surgery (he is terrified of the vet after we had a bad experience last year with a very rude woman after we moved into a new city) But now in light of this recurrent problem I think neutering might actually help.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree with you...gaining weight can be controlled and is NOT a good
reason to not neuter...I'd change Vets.

On the ACV, buy the one that comes with 'the mother'...Braggs is one.

Does the Arcana Pacifica have potato in it...sweet potato is usually okay
but regular potato can cause problems.

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
This is the ingredients list... Boneless salmon, salmon meal, herring meal, whitefish meal*, green peas, red lentils, whole potato, boneless herring, boneless flounder, herring oil, field beans, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, natural fish flavour, whole apples, whole pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach greens, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary

does have potato though, but as I said he had no problems at all till 2 weeks ago with the antibiotics, so I just hope it was them and not the food, cause we finally found the one he loves...

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you're making the right decision going to a new vet. I sincerely hope he feels better, he sure is CUTE!! Please keep us updated what the new vet says.

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I just wanted to post a quick update. Ulysses is not getting any how better, I actually think he is much more lethargic than usual and just seems sad and specially itchy in his face. I feel so helpless, I'm doing all what the vet told me to, but the infection doesn't seem to go away and I think the antibiotics are just making the yeast infection spread around, he is so red and swollen in his side wrinkles that I'm just trying to keep them dry for the moment. New vet tomorrow first thing in the morning.... :*(

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

As far as getting neutered, hell yes, good chances are his problems down there will clear up. intact males always have more discharge than neutered. over active yeast will do this to his face and skin. This is what it did to Griz in Feb . and we even went raw to try and clear it up, it almost cleared it up but not 100% he scratched himself raw and I was cleaning his face often and it was just ooze right up within minutes. heres some proof.
001.jpg002.jpg012.jpg013.jpg011.jpg
you can see his paws are swollen also. he was just miserable, eyes swollen and gooey . This is him after changing him to Fromm Pork and Peas

012.jpg006.jpg these two pics were taken in May. quite a change, notice the feet too.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I don't have much experience with male dogs but I find it odd the vet recommended against neutering him and I would definitely seek a new vet as quickly as possible. I would get him neutered but would also maybe recommend making a bath for him with a few gallons of water and put a cup of hydrogen peroxide in the bath and just soak him in there for a bit. Take a nice soft brush and just brush the mixture through his entire coat (one cup deluted in the gallons of water, not straight because it could irriate him straight). It will probably help with the itchy feeling plus help disinfect him overall. Then I would just let him towel/dip dry for a bit and use a spritzer of lemon water in a bottle and spray it in his coat to make him smell nice and fresh. Don't get any in his ears; I would probably do the wash a couple times a week at first and see if that helps (maybe every 72 hours and watch for any signs that indicate this may not be working for him such as redder than usual skin appearance). Good luck and I hope things get better.

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Oh Sherry Griz looked like he was in so much pain, I'm so glad he is feeling better now. I'm so worried Ulysses is gonna also scratch himself raw :nope: I'm now feeding him Acana Pacifica and he was doing great on it, until the antibiotics, no yeast, really little tear stains. @TexasCarol had already recommended me Fromm pork and peas, I would love to try it but is practically impossible to get it in Germany, I have tried but can't find any shop or online shop that has it. I'm giving Ulysses probiotics and I ordered the ACV today, will be here the day after tomorrow. You think I should wait for the infection to clear to get him neutered or go ahead and ask the vet to do it and see if that helps? I just think he has gotten so much antibiotics that they just don't help anymore. I am using the same cow udder antibiotic my now ex-vet gave me for the first infection last January, and now again last friday, it did help the first time but now it's been 5 days and almost no change at all..... I'm really worried, he seems so lethargic and not himself lately...

As far as getting neutered, hell yes, good chances are his problems down there will clear up. intact males always have more discharge than neutered. over active yeast will do this to his face and skin. This is what it did to Griz in Feb . and we even went raw to try and clear it up, it almost cleared it up but not 100% he scratched himself raw and I was cleaning his face often and it was just ooze right up within minutes. heres some proof.

you can see his paws are swollen also. he was just miserable, eyes swollen and gooey . This is him after changing him to Fromm Pork and Peas

taken in May. quite a change, notice the feet too.

Last edited:
OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Thank you Therese! I will definitely try the bath. I will do anything at this point and a bath sounds like a great idea for the itching and it might maybe help his privates too. I'll keep you posted.

I don't have much experience with male dogs but I find it odd the vet recommended against neutering him and I would definitely seek a new vet as quickly as possible. I would get him neutered but would also maybe recommend making a bath for him with a few gallons of water and put a cup of hydrogen peroxide in the bath and just soak him in there for a bit. Take a nice soft brush and just brush the mixture through his entire coat (one cup deluted in the gallons of water, not straight because it could irriate him straight). It will probably help with the itchy feeling plus help disinfect him overall. Then I would just let him towel/dip dry for a bit and use a spritzer of lemon water in a bottle and spray it in his coat to make him smell nice and fresh. Don't get any in his ears; I would probably do the wash a couple times a week at first and see if that helps (maybe every 72 hours and watch for any signs that indicate this may not be working for him such as redder than usual skin appearance). Good luck and I hope things get better.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
oh yes, I see that now you are from Germany, it's a beautiful Country. My great grandparents were from Germany

is there a grain free without any chicken in the protein? you could give it a shot. That's the thing I found with antibiotics , they eventually hurt the immune system by making it dependent on them and then you need stronger and stronger ones. just like people needing stronger and stronger antibiotics. try a dollop of yogurt too in one of his meals, it's probiotic and helps to build the immunities . purified water and cranberry pills often help ones with bladder issues. I may be grasping at straws but it's worth a shot. and oh yea, after a bath, I've been rinsing all the soap out, and then with a mix of 1 gallon water to 1 cup vinegar pour over pooch and leave on. dry off and that's it. they smell so fresh for days and days it balances their ph level. I feel your pain, I've had my share of problems as you can imagine, I'm not immune by any means to the problems this breed can bring and each and every bully is so different

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.