Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 23 of 23

Thread: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

  1. #13
    Bully Bootie Duty Maife's Avatar
    Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    Oh Sherry Griz looked like he was in so much pain, I'm so glad he is feeling better now. I'm so worried Ulysses is gonna also scratch himself raw I'm now feeding him Acana Pacifica and he was doing great on it, until the antibiotics, no yeast, really little tear stains. @TexasCarol had already recommended me Fromm pork and peas, I would love to try it but is practically impossible to get it in Germany, I have tried but can't find any shop or online shop that has it. I'm giving Ulysses probiotics and I ordered the ACV today, will be here the day after tomorrow. You think I should wait for the infection to clear to get him neutered or go ahead and ask the vet to do it and see if that helps? I just think he has gotten so much antibiotics that they just don't help anymore. I am using the same cow udder antibiotic my now ex-vet gave me for the first infection last January, and now again last friday, it did help the first time but now it's been 5 days and almost no change at all..... I'm really worried, he seems so lethargic and not himself lately...


    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    As far as getting neutered, hell yes, good chances are his problems down there will clear up. intact males always have more discharge than neutered. over active yeast will do this to his face and skin. This is what it did to Griz in Feb . and we even went raw to try and clear it up, it almost cleared it up but not 100% he scratched himself raw and I was cleaning his face often and it was just ooze right up within minutes. heres some proof.

    you can see his paws are swollen also. he was just miserable, eyes swollen and gooey . This is him after changing him to Fromm Pork and Peas

    taken in May. quite a change, notice the feet too.
    Last edited by Maife; 06-10-2013 at 07:45 PM.

  2. #14
    Bully Bootie Duty Maife's Avatar
    Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    Thank you Therese! I will definitely try the bath. I will do anything at this point and a bath sounds like a great idea for the itching and it might maybe help his privates too. I'll keep you posted.


    Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    I don't have much experience with male dogs but I find it odd the vet recommended against neutering him and I would definitely seek a new vet as quickly as possible. I would get him neutered but would also maybe recommend making a bath for him with a few gallons of water and put a cup of hydrogen peroxide in the bath and just soak him in there for a bit. Take a nice soft brush and just brush the mixture through his entire coat (one cup deluted in the gallons of water, not straight because it could irriate him straight). It will probably help with the itchy feeling plus help disinfect him overall. Then I would just let him towel/dip dry for a bit and use a spritzer of lemon water in a bottle and spray it in his coat to make him smell nice and fresh. Don't get any in his ears; I would probably do the wash a couple times a week at first and see if that helps (maybe every 72 hours and watch for any signs that indicate this may not be working for him such as redder than usual skin appearance). Good luck and I hope things get better.

  3. #15
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    oh yes, I see that now you are from Germany, it's a beautiful Country. My great grandparents were from Germany

    is there a grain free without any chicken in the protein? you could give it a shot. That's the thing I found with antibiotics , they eventually hurt the immune system by making it dependent on them and then you need stronger and stronger ones. just like people needing stronger and stronger antibiotics. try a dollop of yogurt too in one of his meals, it's probiotic and helps to build the immunities . purified water and cranberry pills often help ones with bladder issues. I may be grasping at straws but it's worth a shot. and oh yea, after a bath, I've been rinsing all the soap out, and then with a mix of 1 gallon water to 1 cup vinegar pour over pooch and leave on. dry off and that's it. they smell so fresh for days and days it balances their ph level. I feel your pain, I've had my share of problems as you can imagine, I'm not immune by any means to the problems this breed can bring and each and every bully is so different
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  4. #16
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    I'm no help here but sure do hope you find a solution soon -- and I'm certain that will start with a pair of fresh eyes looking at the problem. The thing about some medical professionals -- sadly -- is that there's a whole bunch of EGO going on there. Rather than say, "I was wrong" - it's .."Well, the problem must be with YOU, Dear Pet Person!" I know that's a startling generality -- and very unfair with most of our vets here, for sure, or we wouldn't continue to see them -- but how many of these kinds of horror stories have YOU heard? Many!

    Thank goodness we have EBN and each other here!

  5. #17
    Bully Bootie Duty Maife's Avatar
    Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    Little update from this morning. His face is still very red and and oozy but his pee-wee is finally looking better. It's white and no sign of inflammation... just a little red in the tummy.... yoo-hoo!!! I'm going to finish the local antibiotics for his pocket infection, since they now seem to be working. Don't wanna dtop now and make the bacteria resistant to them so gotta go all the way through with it, although I really hate how they cause other troubles. For the face I still don't know what else to do, because I guess it'll stay like that as far as he is on the antibiotics, so I'm gonna try the baths, the yogurt and the ACV. Here are some pics of our evolution...



    -p1110865-jpg-p1110866-jpg-p1110867-jpg-p1110869-jpg-p1110870-jpg-p1110873-jpg-p1110876-jpg-p1110877-jpg

  6. #18
    Bully Bootie Duty Maife's Avatar
    Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    Absolutely true!! Ulysses and I have benefited so much from EBN.... there is no expertise like experience, and nobody knows a bully like a bully owner.... I have learned that the hard way. Specially with my last vet, she treated me in many occasions like I was insane or just over protective of my dog, maybe I am but who can blame me? he is my baby boy and I want the best for him... is that to hard to understand?


    Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    I'm no help here but sure do hope you find a solution soon -- and I'm certain that will start with a pair of fresh eyes looking at the problem. The thing about some medical professionals -- sadly -- is that there's a whole bunch of EGO going on there. Rather than say, "I was wrong" - it's .."Well, the problem must be with YOU, Dear Pet Person!" I know that's a startling generality -- and very unfair with most of our vets here, for sure, or we wouldn't continue to see them -- but how many of these kinds of horror stories have YOU heard? Many!

    Thank goodness we have EBN and each other here!

  7. #19
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maife View Post
    Specially with my last vet, she treated me in many occasions like I was insane or just over protective of my dog, maybe I am but who can blame me? he is my baby boy and I want the best for him... is that to hard to understand?
    That sounds like THE perfect reason to find a new vet!

    One of the reasons I love my Dr. Terry Beatty so much is that while I can be a bit of an alarmist, he never poo-poos my concerns. The last time I took Sushi the cat in, he said, "Listen, I will do a full blood panel and a this and that test and a whittly dee doo test if you want me to -- but it's not necessary. Truly. Just keep an eye on him." And he was right. Again.

  8. #20
    Bully Bootie Duty Maife's Avatar
    Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    Thank you Sherry! your expertise always help me out and you are absolutely welcome in Germany of course

    Well, he is now on Acana pacifica which is 100% grain free and only protein from fish. He loves it and he is doing great on it coat, stool and appetite wise. We went to a dermatologist a few months ago because of some skin protuberance that he has on the back of his neck, she said it might be from the Acana chicken he was on so she recommended me some food we have in Germany called Wolfsblut which has very unusual sources of protein like kangaroos, water-buffalos and whatnot. But I didn't feel too comfortable trying that food out, so I decided to try Acana Pacifica.

    I wanted to give him cranberry pills for a long time now, but I only seem to find the ones that come with additional vitamin C... do you think that's OK? 1 Cap has 300mg cranberry extract and 100mg vitamin C... I would love to be able to give him cranberry cause I know it helps wonders and it prevents future problems.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    oh yes, I see that now you are from Germany, it's a beautiful Country. My great grandparents were from Germany

    is there a grain free without any chicken in the protein? you could give it a shot. That's the thing I found with antibiotics , they eventually hurt the immune system by making it dependent on them and then you need stronger and stronger ones. just like people needing stronger and stronger antibiotics. try a dollop of yogurt too in one of his meals, it's probiotic and helps to build the immunities . purified water and cranberry pills often help ones with bladder issues. I may be grasping at straws but it's worth a shot. and oh yea, after a bath, I've been rinsing all the soap out, and then with a mix of 1 gallon water to 1 cup vinegar pour over pooch and leave on. dry off and that's it. they smell so fresh for days and days it balances their ph level. I feel your pain, I've had my share of problems as you can imagine, I'm not immune by any means to the problems this breed can bring and each and every bully is so different

  9. #21
    Bully Bootie Duty Maife's Avatar
    Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    I might have to come over to Washington to see YOUR vet .. he sounds great. We are visiting a new vet this afternoon so fingers crossed he will be awesome

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    That sounds like THE perfect reason to find a new vet!

    One of the reasons I love my Dr. Terry Beatty so much is that while I can be a bit of an alarmist, he never poo-poos my concerns. The last time I took Sushi the cat in, he said, "Listen, I will do a full blood panel and a this and that test and a whittly dee doo test if you want me to -- but it's not necessary. Truly. Just keep an eye on him." And he was right. Again.

  10. #22
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Abscesses and penis pocket infection here we go again!

    @Maife oh yes, vitamin C is good for the skin too. specially yeasty things, the acetic acid dries things up. I'd jump on that. Thank you for the kinds words of assurance.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  11. #23
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Malecetic ultra for the face wrinkles-- works wonders!!!!

    Hope he feels better and I would not change the food just yet either.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •