Remi update

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Haven't been here in a week or so and just wanted to update you as to where we are with Remi - and if anyone has any advice.

Over the last month or so we've been noticing Remi has been "pulling" one of his back legs. After taking him to both the animal hospital and his vet on 2 separate occasions after his obvious outburst in pain, they don't see anything obviously wrong with him. His ACL seems fine. HE was fine. He showed no symptoms that they could see. Just a day after we took him to the vet, he pulled his leg again while playing with my father and jumping around like a jumping bean. Jumping seems to really bother it.

He's been on strict rest for a week so far. We carry him up and down the stairs. This includes crating as well as putting him in his thunder shirt, which basically just makes him shut down and he will lay on the couch and watch tv all day (it's like he turns into an old man.) Which is exactly what we want, but we can tell Remi is pretty frustrated about it. Last night when we we put him in his crate (thunder shirt removed) he decided he was going to tear apart his bed. I get it. He's being destructive due to lack of exercise, frustration, and boredom - but I'm going to see this through.

I'm debating keeping him rested 1 more week before slowly taking him for walks again. I just don't want him jumping and re-spraining or whatever he's doing to that leg. If this doesn't work, the next step is for expensive xrays and such. It's the only way to really see what's happening. The docs didn't have any other option.

Thoughts, suggestions?! Thanks everyone! You know I'm dreaming up all the possibilities of how bad this injury could be.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry, I am useless here, but I do hope that this horrible week on boredom will cure it what ever it is...

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Jane, I once had a torn rotator cuff, and what it was, was Arthritus had formed in my shoulder joint, in the form of a sharks tooth, each time I used my arm, the Arthritus tooth cut more muscle, after a year of X-Rays, MRI's and every other test they could do, Finally my doctor told me he had a good idea thats what it was, But they couldn't find it until he did microscopic surgery. Only then it was revealed, and then was able to grind it off, The relief was so Awesome from the year in constant pain.... But my point is this, X-Rays and MRI's don't always reveal the problem that doctors hope to see, Be persistant for your baby (Remi) you know if something is bothering him or not, and don't let the doctors blow it off !! Thats my .02 Cents....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with what you are doing, but short leased walks to get some energy release might help with his frustration too.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Ann's Shadow (Yorkie) had problems with his left back leg knee. He was favoring the leg and hopping around on the other three. The vet diagnosed this as anterior cruciate ligament and prescribed pain pills, anti-inflammatory pills, and recommended no running, no jumping, lots of rest. There was also talk of a $2000 surgery.

So we kept him crated for almost 2 weeks, especially when the gardeners came (always causes him to have bouncing, barking fits which we think lead to the problem in the first place). Lots of his favorite toys and plenty of treats as well. After two weeks, the little guy was psychotic so since he was no longer lame, we let him have free run of the house again.

So far, so good. He was running circles around Walley-Bubba (English Bully) in the living room yesterday and they were both playing as hard as ever. But we did crate Shadow when the gardeners came.

So maybe a good long rest with no running, jumping, playing and a vet check.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Jane, I once had a torn rotator cuff, and what it was, was Arthritus had formed in my shoulder joint, in the form of a sharks tooth, each time I used my arm, the Arthritus tooth cut more muscle, after a year of X-Rays, MRI's and every other test they could do, Finally my doctor told me he had a good idea thats what it was, But they couldn't find it until he did microscopic surgery. Only then it was revealed, and then was able to grind it off, The relief was so Awesome from the year in constant pain.... But my point is this, X-Rays and MRI's don't always reveal the problem that doctors hope to see, Be persistant for your baby (Remi) you know if something is bothering him or not, and don't let the doctors blow it off !! Thats my .02 Cents....

This exact thing happened with my husband - but it ended up being a bone spur! Crazy, right?! We paid for xrays over and over again and they revealed nothing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I hope they figure out what's wrong with him soon, so he can get better.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I give my pack a supplement called Regenex we love it. It's liquid , I put it on their dinner and we don't have limps anymore, we've been using this in the horse strength for a year. I use a dropper to put 8 drops on top their kibble.
I will pm you the site just incase you are interested.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I give my pack a supplement called Regenex we love it. It's liquid , I put it on their dinner and we don't have limps anymore, we've been using this in the horse strength for a year. I use a dropper to put 8 drops on top their kibble.
I will pm you the site just incase you are interested.

DEFINITELY interested; thanks so much Sherry! Have you seen any improvements?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I agree with what you are doing, but short leased walks to get some energy release might help with his frustration too.

Yes. Yes. What she said.

How about adding some "brain games" to the mix? Something that will occupy his brain - but not exercise those tender muscles? I'd take him for a low impact walk --- many short ones even. Dog's need to travel. It's probably going koo koo for cocoapuffs in that brain of his. LOL

Bo has one of those Kong wobbles and he and Bea play very cooperatively with it. Bea does all the work and Bo eats the kibble that come out. While that's not the PERFECT situation -- it does keep his tiny brain busy for a time! Another thing that they both love is empty yogurt containers -- the big ones that I buy for their food. They each get one -- with the lid on. I put a cookie inside -- broken up into pieces. Sure it doesn't take him long to get in there but he loves it. Bea takes longer. She seems to savor the experience or something? I dunno. I'm probably imagining that. Because it's plastic and Bo is who he is - this is a SUPERVISED activity for sure. The minute he starts getting the lid torn up - it goes into recycling. Then the tub. When they start pulling little bitty pieces off of it and potentially eating them (they mostly spit them out), Yogurt Tub Time is over. Crinkly water bottles too. Same thing. Big fun.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
DEFINITELY interested; thanks so much Sherry! Have you seen any improvements?

oh my yes, Jack is going to be 9 and he is so bowlegged but with the help of this supplement hes more active then when he was 7. Dolly used to be so gimpy and the one vet wanted me to get a brace made for her leg costing in the thousands . I remebered how I used to limp before I started my suplements and knew this would be the truth telling behind all the what if's. I take the human grade of course, but you get my drift.
The "miricals" continue today as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't give them anything else for joints. some kibbles do have it in their recipe, but a higher dose is neccessary to control the joints of a bulldog. Mind you I'm just a bulldog owner, not a vet, but what do they know any how? If we do our research as passionaltely we should we eventually conqure and hopefully cure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online