OP
MushiesMom

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
Hello again everyone! So I had written another novel but then as I went to send it, the site froze...I guess welcome to forum writing, right? :tongue:

Anyway, THANK YOU everyone SO much for coming to my rescue so quickly! I've been on dogaware since 9pm (it's 4:30 in the morning here in NY) and that website is a god send! I've literally been researching every single health concern we've had with Mush.

There are a few things I'm still confused about

1) if Struvite crystals are formed because of alkaline urine and oxalate crystals are formed because of acidic urine, how is it possible to have both showing in Mush's urine?
2) If the struvites are only being caused by the UTI and they clean up after antibiotics, wont using cranberry pills and apple cider vinegar actually harm her and make the oxalates worse?
3) Does anyone know of any kibble or wet food that is low in oxalates? I just want to know all of my options before choosing mush's new diet. I know that a raw diet is best and believe me, my boyfriend and I are both on the human version of raw food diet so price and prep are zero concern...the issue is I don't trust my knowledge yet to be able to supply mush with proper nutrients and with so many different options for each nutrient, I'm worried I wont choose good combinations, not give her enough of something or give her too much. Her allergies, weight control, elongated soft pallet AND now I believe need for low oxalate foods is going to make it very tricky.
4) Is there anything I can give mush right now that won't effect her crystal count for both types of crystals? Pro-biotics? yogurt?

As for an update, mush is doing fine...just a little extra cuddly and wants to go outside a lot more.

Once again, thank you everyone so much. Dan, I and mush all appreciate it so much and check here frequently for new insight.

good night everyone..speak to you soon.
943210_10200446903119079_1921042890_n.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hello again everyone! So I had written another novel but then as I went to send it, the site froze...I guess welcome to forum writing, right? :tongue:

Anyway, THANK YOU everyone SO much for coming to my rescue so quickly! I've been on dogaware since 9pm (it's 4:30 in the morning here in NY) and that website is a god send! I've literally been researching every single health concern we've had with Mush.

There are a few things I'm still confused about

1) if Struvite crystals are formed because of alkaline urine and oxalate crystals are formed because of acidic urine, how is it possible to have both showing in Mush's urine? The oxalates have probably formed first, when her urine pH was low...and when she got the UTI her urine pH got alkaline and the struvites formed.
2) If the struvites are only being caused by the UTI and they clean up after antibiotics, wont using cranberry pills and apple cider vinegar actually harm her and make the oxalates worse? Yes they will.
3) Does anyone know of any kibble or wet food that is low in oxalates? I just want to know all of my options before choosing mush's new diet. I know that a raw diet is best and believe me, my boyfriend and I are both on the human version of raw food diet so price and prep are zero concern...the issue is I don't trust my knowledge yet to be able to supply mush with proper nutrients and with so many different options for each nutrient, I'm worried I wont choose good combinations, not give her enough of something or give her too much. Her allergies, weight control, elongated soft pallet AND now I believe need for low oxalate foods is going to make it very tricky. Sorry, I don't. That is why I recommend home cooking or raw without bone.
4) Is there anything I can give mush right now that won't effect her crystal count for both types of crystals? Pro-biotics? yogurt? Yes, Pro-and prebiotics are always good with any type of stone.

As for an update, mush is doing fine...just a little extra cuddly and wants to go outside a lot more.

Once again, thank you everyone so much. Dan, I and mush all appreciate it so much and check here frequently for new insight.

good night everyone..speak to you soon.
View attachment 45774

So glad she's doing fine. Cuddles will do you good too.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm late to this (sorry) but I see you've been given great advice. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is the queen of stones, listen to what she says and you'll be fine.

Can I just offer one piece of advice? RUN..... run as fast as you can from Banfield

OP
MushiesMom

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
Does anyone know when I should start to see improvement with mush? She's still peeing blood in very small amounts. When we let her out (every 1/2 hour) she tries to go 3-4 times.

Also she hasn't gone #2 since yesterday morning. This is strange for her...she usually goes after her morning feeding and night time feeding.

Should I be worried?

OP
MushiesMom

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
Aww. I just walked into my room and find this... She wedged herself in between my pillows... I can't even be mad!.....looks like I'm on the couch tonight.. Doesn't it just break your heart when they don't feel well... 😢 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370841415.738776.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've been following this thread and I sure wish I had some answers for you. The whole thing with the stones does sound very confusing, but I am so glad you are seeking a new vet.

I hope she starts feeling better soon. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Does anyone know when I should start to see improvement with mush? She's still peeing blood in very small amounts. When we let her out (every 1/2 hour) she tries to go 3-4 times.

Also she hasn't gone #2 since yesterday morning. This is strange for her...she usually goes after her morning feeding and night time feeding.

Should I be worried?

Honestly? Anytime you see blood where it shouldn't be is a cause for concern.

Can you get her to another doctor today? What bothers me is that you say she "tries to go 3 or 4 times". Is she actually peeing? Blood in the urine could be caused by a blockage and if she isn't actually peeing this could be the reason.

Bossy Boots

Feb 5, 2012
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Hope poor Mush will feel better and you'll find a vet that can really help with Mush Peeing blood.Your a great bully Mama!

OP
MushiesMom

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
Update:

Mush went #2 this morning (thank god..the poor thing had 3 bowls of food in her belly)

I spoke with a really good friend of mine who works with dogs and who has always been spot on when I've gone to her with pup advice. She gave me the name of her vet and Mush has an appointment for Wednesday at 10am.
The receptionist already made a world of a difference. She's contacting banfield today and having all of mush's chart and test results sent there.

We also have an emergency (open 24h) vet that we are keeping in mind until then.

I'm going to continue to track her progress and see if the antibiotics start kicking in. I read many posts online and it says sometimes it takes as long as 4 days to show progress with antibiotics?

When mush goes out the first time in the morning she pees about 85 percent the amount she usually would and then after that she dribbles. I'm just lost....but glad we have an appointment now for my baby.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update:

Mush went #2 this morning (thank god..the poor thing had 3 bowls of food in her belly)

I spoke with a really good friend of mine who works with dogs and who has always been spot on when I've gone to her with pup advice. She gave me the name of her vet and Mush has an appointment for Wednesday at 10am.
The receptionist already made a world of a difference. She's contacting banfield today and having all of mush's chart and test results sent there.

We also have an emergency (open 24h) vet that we are keeping in mind until then.

I'm going to continue to track her progress and see if the antibiotics start kicking in. I read many posts online and it says sometimes it takes as long as 4 days to show progress with antibiotics?

When mush goes out the first time in the morning she pees about 85 percent the amount she usually would and then after that she dribbles. I'm just lost....but glad we have an appointment now for my baby.

Best of luck... hugs, prayers and PLEASE keep us posted. so glad you are going to another vet

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am so sorry that I am just seeing this. You have gotten some great advice and I really hope this new vet can give you some answers! Mush is such a doll by the way! :hug:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Sounds like she is improving some but hope the new Vet can help speed up the process and get her on the best track. It just doesn't make since that too many Vets and human Dr.s aren't more knowledgable about proper nutrition. If they are its seems its because of a special interest in it and not from their formal training

Members online

No members online now.