Have any of you noticed this?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Today we took Gertie and Ida to a shot clinic that they have at our pet food store once a month. They do shots and micro-chips really reasonably so we went for rabies shots and micro-chips. The gal who was doing this works for a vet in Scottsdale. She said she sees LOTS of Bullies, that the vet is a Bulldog vet. (So I took down his name and number to use as a back-up since my vet is sometimes hard to get a quick appt. with.) Anyway, she mentioned how good my girls look and mentioned how it's such a shame that so many Bullies have skin issues, allergies, etc. Then she said something that made me go "Hmmm". She said she's noticed in the years she's worked for this vet that it's the more white Bullies who have the skin problems, and she sees way less problems with the ones who are not mostly white. Does everyone (anybody) find this to be true? I just thought it was a very interesting theory.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think it's more apparent on the white ones. It stands out like a sore thumb. On the reds and brindles...it's harder to see. My opinion.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I agree with Libra926, it's a lot harder to notice on any color other than white.

I third this. Bear has an all white face and I can certainly see the pinkish skin tones and tear stains. Thats why feeding them a great food is essential.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree 100% with libra, rob and mammy. People are more likely to notice the issue on a white bully and take them to a vet. I know in my case, Mandy is my LEAST pink face yeasty dog out of all of them. She can eat anything and not cause issues, she NEVER, ever licks her paws or rubs her face. I could probably even feed her Purina and not have issues but tear stains. I also think it is harder to see when they don't have white fur around their eyes, like Molly and Jesse have the 'black eyeliner' so you cannot tell if their eyes are swollen or irritated as fast as with a white faced (Tidus) bully.

Last edited:

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
I think this how white bullies got the bad rap of being unhealthy and to stay away from a bully of that color. I think just more issues show up on a white or mostly white bully then they do on other colors. I think if you took 2 bullies from the same litter one white one darker and did everything the same I think their issues would be the same only you would see it first on the white. I have heard people say don't get a white bully because they have more health problems then any other color. (not true)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think it's more apparent on the white ones. It stands out like a sore thumb. On the reds and brindles...it's harder to see. My opinion.

I would agree with that too!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I have an all white American Bulldog and before Norm I had an all white english bulldog. I have also heard that about whitey's. I know their skin is more sensitive in the sun and dirt.

I also heard they shed more than the colored ones. I don't believe that at all.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
IDK if they shed more cause Georgia is msotly black and she sheds LIKE CRAZY!!! I think it depends on the dog maybe people think that because white is REALLY noticeable on colored surfaces.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Oh good! I'm so happy to hear from all of you. Someday I'd LOVE to have a mostly white Bully, so I'm glad to hear they aren't anymore proned to problems than any other colors.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex is pure whits xcept for some brown spots on him. we can see his redness around his nose and eyes more cause he really doesnt have any hair around there. during the summer we have to be careful cause he gets sunburned really easy and have to put sunscreen on his face. we havent had any skin issues with him what so ever his been a very low maintence bullie...only thing i have noticed is i think he's gonna have seasonal allergies but we give him allergy med and hes stops licking his paws

MikiLove

Jan 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Shia
Shia is an English Bulldog who is completely white except brown eye patches. She has never had a skin issue. The only thing I've been told from my vet is to make sure if she is outside for any amount of time put on sunscreen or she'll blister. But she's completely healthy.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I think this how white bullies got the bad rap of being unhealthy and to stay away from a bully of that color. I think just more issues show up on a white or mostly white bully then they do on other colors. I think if you took 2 bullies from the same litter one white one darker and did everything the same I think their issues would be the same only you would see it first on the white. I have heard people say don't get a white bully because they have more health problems then any other color. (not true)

Oliver is all white except for his right ear and his tail and Sebastian is mostly black brindle with 3 white legs and head except for his black eye and they are from the same litter and of course getting the same treatment from me when it comes to their hygiene and food so I guess we'll see if they come up with the same issues. Right now, they have none except for Sebastian's pulmonic stenosis which has nothing to do with his color.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
"Anyway, she mentioned how good my girls look and mentioned how it's such a shame that so many Bullies have skin issues, allergies, etc.
Perhaps this person needs to spend some time on EBN to learn a bit about nutrition and bullies. :)
White may be sun-sensitive but other than that I cant think of any other down-side of white.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.