URGENT!!! Spikey ate a bottle cap!!!

SpikeyTheMeatball

Jun 3, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
My Spikey swallowed a water bottle top and I'm wondering if I need to take him to the emergency vet tonight? He's acting like his usual playful self. My little Spikey tries to eat everything!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have a bully goat , my Dozer eats everything and anything , he has eaten socks twice, grass, pinecones, rocks, a dish cloth, and who knows what else is in his stomach. 2 nights ago he ate a part of a plastic grocery shopping bag, my husband put the bag down near his cage, and he managed to pull it to his crate and I heard rustling, I jumped up to check and he had already eaten the pieces around the handles. Now we watch and wait and play CSI with his poop again.

Everything that he's swallowed he's managed to pass with no problems. The first two times we took him to the vet immediately and had X-rays done. She gave him a laxative and fibre food to help move the bowels, and within a week the objects and sock passed.

You are probably okay because the object is small, round and smooth. If it was a pointy or sharp object you would have to worry about it puncturing or cutting him on the inside, but since its smooth, it most likely will pass through.

The signs you want to look for are vomiting, diarrhea, or drooling which are signs of an obstruction. Just keep an eye on him, and check his poop everyday until it passes. This could take a week or more. If he seems to be choking, coughing, vomiting, or has excessive diarrhea, I say excessive because Dozer always has a day of either diarrhea, or soft poops before he passes something, so this is normal, but if he has excessive diarrhea or vomiting, then take him to the vet.
Good luck, and I hope he passes the water cap soon. Keep us posted

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..they eat EVERYTHING! Jake has eaten so many things. Luckily they have all passed with vomiting and strings oming out the rear..the brunt of it all! I think he I'll be ok..Just make ure he eats..sinks and :poo: normally. It will take a week or so..sometimes much longer..

OP
SpikeyTheMeatball

SpikeyTheMeatball

Jun 3, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to see Spike isn't the only one who eats everything he can find except of course medicines :) I think he's going to be fine I'm just keeping an eye on his poo.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to see Spike isn't the only one who eats everything he can find except of course medicines :) I think he's going to be fine I'm just keeping an eye on his poo.

Just keep a very good eye on him. If for any reason he starts throwing up and not eating, take him to the vet asap. Emma loves to eat napkins/paper towels and whatever else she may chew off. Here's a good article I prepped showing what Emma ate and pooped out 5 days later. I was stunned she passed it. :eek:

The Dangers When Dogs Swallow Foreign Objects!

Our member's stories are at the end.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My Spikey swallowed a water bottle top and I'm wondering if I need to take him to the emergency vet tonight? He's acting like his usual playful self. My little Spikey tries to eat everything!!

How is Spikey doing? Mine have swallowed all sorts of things too and it's always so worrisome but let's hope he passes that bottle cap w/out any problems. I'm sure it'll be fine, just continue keeping a close eye on him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Good plan.... they eat anything that is not nailed down... well, most times.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online