Other ACV experiment.

L

Lucy-licious

Billy has intermittently had bad tearstains....and because he has a white face they can look really nasty.

These last few weeks while he has had his cone on his tear stains had pretty much gone and his nose rope was white and clean.
However, his cones been off for a few days now and they are back...not as bad yet, but back none the less.

Hmmm?? me thinks!! What was different?? Drops maybe??...but his bad eye was the other eye, on his brown side so if it were them then the tear stain wouldnt have gone on the white side.
Then Chris mentioned that Billy was infact drinking less while his cone was on....hmmmm maybe its the water??

Filter jug bought and ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) to put in the water...just a capful in a large bowl.

So I will for now change nothing else, stick to my basic face cleaning routine and see if this works..if not I will try something else.

Here are some before shots to compare with...I'll update the pics next week.
Wish us luck xx

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Billy's stains look so much better than baby Os and ......just recently Vegas's. Me thinks trying filtered water is a must for us too.

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Billy's stains look so much better than baby Os and ......just recently Vegas's. Me thinks trying filtered water is a must for us too.

last time they went deep purple in just a week. so hopefully they wont get that bad this time x

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am curious to see if the ACV helps. I have heard filtered water does help, but we have filtered water and here lately Hazels tear stains have gotten worse, so her's must be from allergies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
interesting..... can't waiti to see the results

OP
L

Lucy-licious

I am curious to see if the ACV helps. I have heard filtered water does help, but we have filtered water and here lately Hazels tear stains have gotten worse, so her's must be from allergies.

We have a filter in the faucet....but I still bought a filter jug just to be sure :D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
was wondering how it was going @Lucy-licious i have been using filtered water for my dogs but dont seem to be making a difference. sarah never ever had tears till she got spayed last year now she does if i feed her the wrong thing or her outside allergies act up. i may try some distilled water see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Watching this one with interest!

I think as long as I have pups with allergies, I'm going to have some degree of tear staining. Since it's been super duper allergy season and we've been spending a bunch of time outside, Bo is on a regular benedryl regimen -- and it's really helped. He gets 3 25mg tablets once a day with supper. If he doesn't have them, he'll have dots all over his tummy from laying in the grass! Bea doesn't get benedry often -- but after the "low tide itchies" the other day, I dosed her up real good after the bath she had. She was scratching her tummy raw. :pouting:

:shout: It does drive me mad. It makes my dogs look like they're not kept well....and you know they are!

OP
L

Lucy-licious

was wondering how it was going @Lucy-licious i have been using filtered water for my dogs but dont seem to be making a difference. sarah never ever had tears till she got spayed last year now she does if i feed her the wrong thing or her outside allergies act up. i may try some distilled water see if that makes a difference.

Watching this one with interest!

I think as long as I have pups with allergies, I'm going to have some degree of tear staining. Since it's been super duper allergy season and we've been spending a bunch of time outside, Bo is on a regular benedryl regimen -- and it's really helped. He gets 3 25mg tablets once a day with supper. If he doesn't have them, he'll have dots all over his tummy from laying in the grass! Bea doesn't get benedry often -- but after the "low tide itchies" the other day, I dosed her up real good after the bath she had. She was scratching her tummy raw. :pouting:

:shout: It does drive me mad. It makes my dogs look like they're not kept well....and you know they are!

Well tbh guys...so far there isnt much improvement...however I realised this morning that Billy is not drinking water from his dish that often...the little tinker is waiting to go outside then drinking the water from their little paddling pool. Of course this is unfiltered and has no ACV in.

Little tyke :ROFL:

So now what??

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well either take away the pool or i guess there is not much you can do right now. just keep it handy. you could pour some acv in the pool :ROFL:

OP
L

Lucy-licious

well either take away the pool or i guess there is not much you can do right now. just keep it handy. you could pour some acv in the pool :ROFL:

seriously thought about that tbh :D
I think emptying the pool when not in use is the best idea though. Then he'll have no choice but to drink his water from the bowl x

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
what is the correct dosage of benedryl to give to our bullies, i am guessing so much per pound?

OP
L

Lucy-licious

what is the correct dosage of benedryl to give to our bullies, i am guessing so much per pound?

I think its 1mg/lb but [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] will confirm that :D

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] thanks much :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Otis has lost most of his hair where his tear stains are so bad.....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.