Thread: Allergic Reaction - No know cause??

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Default Allergic Reaction - No know cause??

Hello, my Ollie had surgery last Friday for cherry eye and palate. Things were a little rough the first couple of days. Once he started feeling better Sunday night he developed hives. Took him to the vet first thing Monday morning and they gave him a steriod shot and a shot of benadryl. He was 100% better by evening. We were told to continue the benadryl for 3 days. I gave him his dose this morning but when I got home from work he broke out in hives again! I have not changed his diet or anything in the house. The vet could not give him anymore shots because they told me that it can be damaging to his intestians. The hives went away for about 4 hours and now their back again. He is SOOOOO miserable! HELP...does anyone know what might be causing this or have had the same problem. He is off his meds from surgery. Help!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh no poor Ollie!!!

Is there anything new he's been given? New bed, toys, treats, laundry soap?

When my Yuna had the obstruction she was snotty and sneezed non stop, she even had boogers....but immediately following surgery it stopped. Apparently she was allergic to the rubber thing that was in her!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Allergic Reaction - No know cause??

What a mess for the poor boy! Outside of the hives is he OK?

My girl, Banks, has had severe hives a few times and we were never able to determine what was the cause... all we were able to do was narrow it down to something outside that she was bite by or rubbed up against.

As Lisa suggested... think of anything in the house or outside the house that has changed since the procedure.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Christina
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kprice View Post
    Hello, my Ollie had surgery last Friday for cherry eye and palate. Things were a little rough the first couple of days. Once he started feeling better Sunday night he developed hives. Took him to the vet first thing Monday morning and they gave him a steriod shot and a shot of benadryl. He was 100% better by evening. We were told to continue the benadryl for 3 days. I gave him his dose this morning but when I got home from work he broke out in hives again! I have not changed his diet or anything in the house. The vet could not give him anymore shots because they told me that it can be damaging to his intestians. The hives went away for about 4 hours and now their back again. He is SOOOOO miserable! HELP...does anyone know what might be causing this or have had the same problem. He is off his meds from surgery. Help!

Is he on a new antibiotic?? Or any prescribed pain medicine? I wonder if he's got an allergy to that?
    Xtina & Chunk

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

When Jake was neutered, he also had an Umbilical Hernia repaired. They used 2 different suture materials. Jake had an allergic reaction to one of the materials ...but the other was fine. I hope you can get him so he's comfortable. I read on another post that a steeped tea bag will help the itching of the hives. Just put steeped bag right on hive. Worth a try to at least relieve the discomfort?

Remove Ads