Help Needed! Allergic Reaction - No know cause??

Kprice

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Hello, my Ollie had surgery last Friday for cherry eye and palate. Things were a little rough the first couple of days. Once he started feeling better Sunday night he developed hives. Took him to the vet first thing Monday morning and they gave him a steriod shot and a shot of benadryl. He was 100% better by evening. We were told to continue the benadryl for 3 days. I gave him his dose this morning but when I got home from work he broke out in hives again! I have not changed his diet or anything in the house. The vet could not give him anymore shots because they told me that it can be damaging to his intestians. The hives went away for about 4 hours and now their back again. He is SOOOOO miserable! HELP...does anyone know what might be causing this or have had the same problem. He is off his meds from surgery. Help!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no poor Ollie!!!

Is there anything new he's been given? New bed, toys, treats, laundry soap?

When my Yuna had the obstruction she was snotty and sneezed non stop, she even had boogers....but immediately following surgery it stopped. Apparently she was allergic to the rubber thing that was in her!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a mess for the poor boy! Outside of the hives is he OK?

My girl, Banks, has had severe hives a few times and we were never able to determine what was the cause... all we were able to do was narrow it down to something outside that she was bite by or rubbed up against.

As Lisa suggested... think of anything in the house or outside the house that has changed since the procedure.

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
Hello, my Ollie had surgery last Friday for cherry eye and palate. Things were a little rough the first couple of days. Once he started feeling better Sunday night he developed hives. Took him to the vet first thing Monday morning and they gave him a steriod shot and a shot of benadryl. He was 100% better by evening. We were told to continue the benadryl for 3 days. I gave him his dose this morning but when I got home from work he broke out in hives again! I have not changed his diet or anything in the house. The vet could not give him anymore shots because they told me that it can be damaging to his intestians. The hives went away for about 4 hours and now their back again. He is SOOOOO miserable! HELP...does anyone know what might be causing this or have had the same problem. He is off his meds from surgery. Help!

Is he on a new antibiotic?? Or any prescribed pain medicine? I wonder if he's got an allergy to that?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
When Jake was neutered, he also had an Umbilical Hernia repaired. They used 2 different suture materials. Jake had an allergic reaction to one of the materials ...but the other was fine. I hope you can get him so he's comfortable. I read on another post that a steeped tea bag will help the itching of the hives. Just put steeped bag right on hive. Worth a try to at least relieve the discomfort?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.