Suffering from allergies ....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This time it's ME who is suffering from allergies. They are just so very very bad this year that the Claritin and then the Zyrtec just has not really had any effect.

I made the mistake of rubbing my eyes .. and as I'm sure all of you with allergies know ... that is a big NO NO!!!

Once you start rubbing and itching you just can't stop!!! :nope:

So my eyes have been so puffy and scratchy that I tried anything .. I put ice cubes on my eyes even to try and ease them a bit. On Friday when I got home I decided to try the cucumber slices option. So had my shower, went and got my cucumber slices and lay on the bed with them on my eyes. It felt REALLY good ..... then all of a sudden I hear a gentle snuffling noise ... and BANG my cucumber slices had disappeared!!

Bella likes cucumber slices it appears!! ;)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Boy can I ever sympathize with you. I suffered for years with enviromental allergies associated with pollen, dust etc. I don't have as much problem as I did when I was younger. If you are suffering from air born pollen and etc the silver lining in this dark cloud is that you probably have a strong immune system that gets irritated easily so your body is doing what its suppose to do but gets over stimulated. I use a nasal steriod on occassions and the older antihistimines such as benadryl once in a while at night about half an adult dose. The newer once a day medications I have tried over the last several years but don't really help me enough to warrant the odd feelings I get when taking them. One practice that greatly helped me when I started doing it years ago is nasal irrigation. Of all the methods I have tried this has done more to alleviate my problem with air born allergies than anything. I use a saline solution or a product named Alkalol that you can get without a prescription from the pharmacist behind the counter. If you decide to ever give the Alkalol I try let me know and I will relate how I mix it and my method of irrigation. If you try and use the Alkalol undiluted or too strong it can really burn your nasal passages and inflam them. But otherwise it is a safe product. Please if anyone is following this thread and desires to try Alkalol don't mistake this product with Alcohol. It's ALKALOL not ALCOHOL. I use Alcohol too but not for nasal irrigation. I prefer it imbibed. Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks please or some red wine or beer. It greatly relieves my symptoms as well

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Oh I love it!!! :clap2: Yea Bella!

I used to have absolutely HORRID allergies. The main culprits for me were 1. Ragweed 2. Cat Dander 3. Molds 4. other pollens 5. dust
My eyes would get so bad my tear ducts would bleed a bit. And when I got really bad in the fall from the Ragweed, or got around a cat with the dander I'm allergic to I would have asthma attacks.

But I got tested and then had desensitization shots for 5 years back in my late 30's and now I NEVER get the environmental allergies issues beyond an occasional sneeze. I've been at least 15 years virtually allergy free. Except I still have a problem with cat dander (We will just never have a cat). Don't know why it didn't help that the way it did the other stuff.
But I'd still recommend investigating getting the shots if you can to anyone who has bad allergies. (I will quantify that when I had my shots I also had really good insurance and it didn't really cost me anything. The way my insurance is now with deductibles and copays and things they just don't cover I don't believe I could afford it)

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh I love it!!! :clap2: Yea Bella!

I used to have absolutely HORRID allergies. The main culprits for me were 1. Ragweed 2. Cat Dander 3. Molds 4. other pollens 5. dust
My eyes would get so bad my tear ducts would bleed a bit. And when I got really bad in the fall from the Ragweed, or got around a cat with the dander I'm allergic to I would have asthma attacks.

But I got tested and then had desensitization shots for 5 years back in my late 30's and now I NEVER get the environmental allergies issues beyond an occasional sneeze. I've been at least 15 years virtually allergy free. Except I still have a problem with cat dander (We will just never have a cat). Don't know why it didn't help that the way it did the other stuff.
But I'd still recommend investigating getting the shots if you can to anyone who has bad allergies. (I will quantify that when I had my shots I also had really good insurance and it didn't really cost me anything. The way my insurance is now with deductibles and copays and things they just don't cover I don't believe I could afford it)

I'm never normally as bad as this. A Zyrtek generally takes away the sneezing a few days during the summer when the pollen count is really high, but other than that I'm good to go.

For some reason the way the weather has been here in NE Ohio it has caused the pollen count to go through the roof and there are people suffering who have never had allergies before!!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I am sorry to heart that you are suffering from allergies, as I have severe issues with them myself and can totally relate to how miserable they can make you!

However, Bella scarfing your cucumber slices is priceless :lol:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I sympathize too! I have horrible sinus issues (I've had 4 sinus surgeries since 2009 because I get nasal polyps) I use a nasal steroid spray, I also use a saline solution, the nielmed stuff with a squeeze bottle, not the neti-pot, and when zyrtec stopped working I switched to xyzal, its a prescription and I think a sister drug to zyrtec. I hope you get to feeling better!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.