URGENT!!! AC is broken! Help!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Sorry to scare the crap out of you guys this morning, but I'm desperate for some advice. It's going to be 90 again today and yesterday my AC unit crapped out. We're not talking about some shoddy window unit - we're talking about my main central air system. We have a home warranty, but obviously we're going to be mostly without ac all weekend. We can run the AC only for an hour or two at a time before it starts leaking all over the place.

Downstairs is much cooler than upstairs, but I'm considering making him sleep downstairs where it's not so warm until this is resolved.

At what temperature should I begin to get concerned? If Remi is overly panting just laying around? Or do I need to be pre-preemptive even before that?

THANK YOU.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
If you were closer to michigan I would give you one of my window units I keep in the garage for just such a emergency. I would check craigslist for a cheap window unit if you can or see if a family member or friend has one you can borrow for a couple of days. If that is not a option or you can find one I would move him to the basement and keep a close eye on him. Unfortunatley it might mean someone has to spend the day hanging out with him in down there so he doesnt get stressed being by himself. If you have a fan of any kind I would turn it on where he can lay in front of it. You could also take him for a car ride in the heat of the day and have the air blasting in the car. I would think he should be fine just watch for excessive panting and make sure he drinks water he isnt out in direct sun. If he likes bath you could give him a bath in the heat of the day and dont dry him excessively he will get cool by laying in front of the fan. I hope it helps these are just things I have done when we have had AC problems over the years. Good Luck :)

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
It's over 90 most of the time already down here. My living room gets up to about 78 in the afternoon with the AC set at 73. I keep the fans going and the dogs are fine since they mostly lay around and do nothing. I've never had a problem with the heat and my dogs inside.

Also, they sell units that can go in a room without being put in a window. They cost 300 - 400 bucks, more for bigger units. Some have hoses, some an evaporation bucket that needs to be emptied. Target sells some. Probably Lowes and Home Depot too. Here's one from Amazon as an example.

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FR...70091264&sr=1-2&keywords=room+air+conditioner

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You are such an alarmist, Lady. LOL

Here in WA we probably need air conditioning one week out of an entire year. One week last year, it got DAMNED HOT -- for like a week straight - so the house never did cool off at night. The dogs were panting -- not horribly -- but you could tell they were warm. I got every fan possible in the house and cranked up on high -- just to move air around. I kept them in the coolest room in the house -- dining room/kitchen -- where their beds are anyway --- and positioned a fan with a cake pan (big one) full of ice behind the fan. Redneck air conditioning? Maybe but it worked. The key is to not try to keep a giant house cool -- just a room or two. With windows open for cross ventilation at night, fans cranked up to high -- we managed!

If you feel Remi's getting overheated - don't wait -- pop him in a bathtub with cool water to his chest. That'll cool him down pronto.

Bossy Boots

Feb 5, 2012
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
I live in a upstairs place with no AC.On those very hot nights.I slept downstairs with Boss with me.He usually found the coolest place in the house.On the tiles.But I always keep a good eye on Boss as I know the sun and heat is the Bulldogs worst enemy.Even without AC.You can still find ways to keep your baby bully cool in the summer!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If you have a 220 line in your house and don't mind taking a drive, I have a big 25,000 BTU sucker in my basement collecting dust. I got it last year so it was only used for a couple of months. My house doesn't have a 220 line and even if it did my windows aren't big enough for it. I was going to put it on Craigslist but if you need it you can absolutely have it.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
If you have a 220 line in your house and don't mind taking a drive, I have a big 25,000 BTU sucker in my basement collecting dust. I got it last year so it was only used for a couple of months. My house doesn't have a 220 line and even if it did my windows aren't big enough for it. I was going to put it on Craigslist but if you need it you can absolutely have it.

So sweet of you. We have tall windows that horizontally slide open. No idea how that would work, but your offer is very generous. (also I have no idea about the 220 line?! We just bought the house. You'd think we'd know something like that) Our AC is still working, but soaking through towels pretty quickly. We're keeping downstairs at 77 with a constant fan blowing on Remi. Thank you for the offer and it's nice to have a backup plan.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sweet of you. We have tall windows that horizontally slide open. No idea how that would work, but your offer is very generous. (also I have no idea about the 220 line?! We just bought the house. You'd think we'd know something like that) Our AC is still working, but soaking through towels pretty quickly. We're keeping downstairs at 77 with a constant fan blowing on Remi. Thank you for the offer and it's nice to have a backup plan.

UGH... always seems these thing go when you need them most. You seem to be on top of this and I think the temperature is going to go back into the 70's on Monday

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION], if you don't have already, check out some of the cooling collars and vests they have available. But fans, cool towels, ice cubes available for Remi to lick, keeping him calm and low key til you get your ac unit fixed. Good luck, girl!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
A trick I learned at the daycare I ran when our ac crapped out was to get bandanas soak and freeze them then wrap them around the dogs necks. You may want a couple so you can alternate
You can also roll up the bandana and stuff it with ice so it slowly melts over a bullys chest helping to cool them. Keep cool collars awesome but it doesn't sound like you have time to order one if you can't find them locally

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.