Help Needed! Allergies!!?? I hate you!!

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
So Linus is in a full blown allergic itchy scratchy red yeasty mode. I feel so bad for him. I have him on TOTW BISON GRAIN FREE. I switched from blue buffalo lamb and rice as he was chewing at his feet. It has been hot and muggy here in ohio and I didn't have air conditioning until this am.... I am frustrated as I promised myself I wouldn't have one of those bulldogs with the red stinky yeasty faces..... That I would stay on top of this and not let my poor handsome Linus succumb to allergies..... But I am losing... And I feel horrible for Linus! :-(. I am going to Walmart for Benedryl and oatmeal shampoo tonite after work. I am hoping it calms his skin and stops the itching...... Is this just the season for this? Is it food? There are so many variables I don't even know where to start!! :-(

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
The same thing is going on in Kansas. I did see somewhere on here not to use oatmeal shampoo, that the sugar in the oatmeal (starch) feeds the yeast and can make it worse. I know someone with more knowledge than I will come along shortly. I've seen mention of a good shampoo, but can't remember the name.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I can feel your sadness and frustration! Benedryl, the plain kind, 1mg per pound twice daily. Best to go a little over than too far under, if that makes sense, because they come in 25 mg capsules. Example 40+ lb I would give two, but 39 and under I would only give one. This will likely make him sleepy so be prepared for that.

You will likely need a antibacterial antifungal shampoo. I use pharmaseb but I can only get it online. There are many other different ones too.

Go to forum tab, then look for the great products for English bulldogs forum. These will really help you in your searches.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Food makes all the difference. Bea and Bo did fine for a long, long time on Bison/Sweet Potato Limited Ingredient stuff and then POOF - one day, it bothered Bo. It wasn't really "One Day" but it seemed like it. A talk with my Gastroenterologist (@cowsmom) and she suggested going with another protein and sticking with the limited ingredient thing -- to keep things simple. Grain free / corn free, of course. Finding the right food really makes all the difference. Bo is allergic to grass and simply by giving him benedryl regularly (once a day with supper, he gets 3 25mg tabs hidden in cheese) his eyes aren't watery and his tummy isn't covered in little hives after we've spent some quality time in nature.

You'll find the right gig for Linus. Hang in there!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
the food that gave Big Zam his nightmarish allergic reaction had bison ias the protein source. Try Pacific Stream of the Lamb version of TOTW. They are single source protein versions and I've had success with both of those.

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Hmmm I tried the pacific stream and he looked aweful on it. They were out of the lamb version so I went with the bison....... How long does it take to clear him up once you switch proteins? So frustrating!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hmmm I tried the pacific stream and he looked aweful on it. They were out of the lamb version so I went with the bison....... How long does it take to clear him up once you switch proteins? So frustrating!

Can take about a month to see the change. Also, if you can, avoid white potato or make sure it is not in the top 5 ingredients

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online