Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
As the weather starts getting warmer, don't forget that dogs and cats face increased risk of heat stroke during the summer. Unlike people, they have few sweat glands, which are found primarily on their paws and noses. Though many people believe that dogs sweat through their tongues, panting is not an effective method of heat loss.

If your pet exhibits frantic breathing, a bright red tongue, vomits, or staggers, it is likely suffering from heat stroke. In severe cases you will notice your pet’s lips begin to turn pale blue or gray. Pets most susceptible to heat stroke are animals with shortened muzzles such as Bulldogs, Pugs or Persian cats; old and overweight pets; and those with respiratory problems. The Humane Society advises that immediately after you notice symptoms of heat stroke, move the pet into the shade or indoors with air conditioning. Apply cool – not cold – water to your animal to gradually lower their body temperature. Finally, seek veterinary care, which can best save your pet’s life.

Here are 11 tips to cool your pet down in the heat:

1) Always supply your pet with water and make sure the dish is out of the sun. Put ice in to keep it cooler, longer.

2) Take your dog swimming or hose them with water on hot days.

3) Walk dogs in the early morning or late hours of the day when the sun is least harsh. Carry water during these walks.

4) Check your pets for ticks and fleas. Look into purchasing a pet-safe bug spray if they spend a great deal of time outdoors.

5) Don’t take your pets to crowded summer events. “I can never comprehend why people insist on having their dogs with them at events such as parades and carnivals,” said Wisconsin veterinarian Dr. T.J. Dunn. “Dogs don't care about arts and crafts, parades or carnivals. So why subject the animals to the heat and excitement of these human activities?”

6) Walk your dog on grass or dirt to avoid burning their paws on hot pavement.

7) Groom your pet properly and ensure they are free of mats.

8) Provide access to shade at all times.

9) Sunscreen can be used on pets depending on the location of the sensitive skin. Use care in picking the product as cats and dogs are prone to licking themselves and should not ingest most lotions.

10) If you have a rabbit, keep the hutch in the shade. In the wild, rabbits spend the hottest part of the day in their underground burrows where it's cool.

11) Above all, never leave your dog in the car, even with the windows open. Despite massive exposure regarding this topic, the No. 1 cause of heat stroke in dogs remains being left in a hot locked car. “Always be conscious of the effects of heat buildup in a vehicle, because it takes only a few minutes for the internal heat to increase forty degrees or more above the outside air temperature... especially in direct sunlight,” Dunn said.

Summer weather can be extremely dangerous to your pets. It’s your job to keep them safe and
healthy

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Always great reminders about the heat and our bullies/pets.

It's been getting a tad bit warmer every day here in So Cal this week and I've had to cut back on the walking a little bit. Today we only did 1/2 block b/c the boys were showing signs of sluggishness. Even tho I may feel like it's cool enough for me, it may not be for our bullies. Plus, the sun shining on them seems to poop them out even more. Thanks for posting this [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION].

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Your welcome, we all know the signs, but this is an iffy time of year, where it's sometimes hot, and sometimes feels like spring still, and we may think it's not so hot, but our bully babies are much more sensitive to the heat than other breeds. We took our guys over to my daughters house tonight, because her boyfriend had barbecued and invited us over for dinner. My husband had just picked me up from work, and she called to ask if we wanted to come for dinner. I had to go home and change out of my scrubs, and I said I had to go let the pups out and feed them, she said to bring them over to her house. We ate dinner and then took them for a walk around the block, it was after 8 pm, and they came back panting and pooched. I think it was still to humid and sticky outside for them, we gave them some water, and they lay down in the air conditioning, and were fine, but it still made me think they probably walked too far, even though it was the evening, but we had a pretty hot and humid day today.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great reminder!!!

It is in the 90's here in PA and the pups are limited to potty break only... no walk, play or extended 'sun bathing' time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.