Help Needed! tips of ears very dry in 10 month old english bulldog

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
Hey guys,

Im concerned about my Sammy because I've noticed in the last month the inside of the tips of his ears are dry and just noticed lastweek they looked worse (more dry and flaky) so i took him to the vet and she gave me an ointment to use for 28days (sorry i forgot the name), but it seems like it is not doing anything for it but its also only been only 8 days so far....so i tried mineral oil one day and they looked a better not as dry a but i didnt want to continue without finishing the other ointment first and consulting my vet which i will be giving her call soon... not only is the inside of the tips of his ears dry and flaky but he also has a bold spot developing on the outside of both ears i think from the dryness bec if i look close enough where the hair is missing it is very dry also. The inside of his ears, including canals are fantastic no infections and clean. Just the tips inside very dry and loss of hair starting on the outside of ears in one spot. Has anyone experienced this before with their bully? should i just wait out the 28 days and then take him back to the vet or go sooner? He seems not to be bothered by it but it bothers me because it looks like it can be uncomfortable and not way no how will i put up with my bully feeling uncomfortable. Any suggestions would be helpful!!! Thank You!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
What are you feeding him? With EBs the first thing that comes to mind as a cause of problems is food allergies, especially when the vet can't name a cause.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have not come across this before, so unfortunately I am of no help, but hope he gets better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I frequently babysit an older dog named Hannah, but not a bully, that the tips were getting eaten away it looked like. I gave them my vets number because they had been to the vet numerous times about it. My vet prescribed panalog ointment to them to put on twice daily. It worked for her but it took some time to heal as hers was a pretty bad case.

What is the ointment your vet gave you ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
Ty for the feedback guys and all the views; LINWHITE- the food i feed my bully is "taste of the wild" salmon and his treats are also salmon or fish based. Once in while my husband and i will give him a piece of bacon or chicken but no often at all, really once and a while bec im against the table food for animals.... DESERTSKYBULLDOGS- i will get back to you about the name of the ointment! TY guys again for caring!!

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
Hi and ty for your reply and the food he is eating is taste of the wild salmon an his treats are also salmon and fish based, I give him fruits and veggies sometimes too! And he has a great coat no ear problems an between paws are fine also. This just started A about two weeks getting really bad and thats when I brought it up to my vet an she prescribed an ointment called mupirocin usp 2 percent for 28 days...so im not sure if I should just wait it out or use something different?? Ty for listening and sharing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: wonder if there is a sensitivity to the salmon/fish? does he have any other skin issues or just the ears?

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
hi, he has no other skin issues and this just started not too long ago when spring started coming in......ty for the reply!

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
hey ty for replying, no just the tips of his ears thank god! just not sure what it could be but i have been using mineral oil for the last 3 days and its getting better so not sure it i should continue or not since i didnt consult my vet.....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.