General Question Trifexis

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well if I lived in an area that the mosquitoes were not that bad I would consider other options perhaps. But here we have mosquitoes year round and during the spring and summer months they are horrific. It's the perfect climate for mosquitoes, warm, often wet, multitude of lakes, rivers and ponds and high humidity. From what I have researched even if you keep your dog inside most of the time in Florida they are not safe from the possibility of infection cause mosquitoes even get in your home to a degree. They are worse of course at night here and it doesn't take long to get bitten multiple times. And when its really wet or if near a body of water it doesn't matter what time of the day it is in summer and spring they are manifest. There are standing jokes round here about the size and voraciousness of the mosquitoes such as the one where two mosquitoes are overheard talking about a human they have their eyes on so one says " should we eat him here or carry him back home?"

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This discussion makes me very proud of ALL of you. No pettiness or My way or the Highway. I just want all our Bully's to live long healthy lives. With you all as pawents...it's going to happen. Great informative discussion...:)

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
This discussion makes me very proud of ALL of you. No pettiness or My way or the Highway. I just want all our Bully's to live long healthy lives. With you all as pawents...it's going to happen. Great informative discussion...:)

I think so I learned a lot from this discussion I will proceed with caution after a nice long discussion with my vet about medications and I sincerely appreciate all the information thrown my way!!:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well if I lived in an area that the mosquitoes were not that bad I would consider other options perhaps. But here we have mosquitoes year round and during the spring and summer months they are horrific. It's the perfect climate for mosquitoes, warm, often wet, multitude of lakes, rivers and ponds and high humidity. From what I have researched even if you keep your dog inside most of the time in Florida they are not safe from the possibility of infection cause mosquitoes even get in your home to a degree. They are worse of course at night here and it doesn't take long to get bitten multiple times. And when its really wet or if near a body of water it doesn't matter what time of the day it is in summer and spring they are manifest. There are standing jokes round here about the size and voraciousness of the mosquitoes such as the one where two mosquitoes are overheard talking about a human they have their eyes on so one says " should we eat him here or carry him back home?"
We live in Arkansas but the area we are in seems to have its share of mosquitoes. They are bad here all ready another reason I wanted to know about the Trifexis. Sheldon tolerates the Comfortis ok I found a few fleas on him and my mother in laws tea cup yorkie which is why I gave him the Comfortis. He is also on Heartguard and seems to tolerate it ok but it makes him have diarrhea and Gigi doesn't tolerate it very well at all when we give it to her she has blood in her stool so we had to discontinue use with her. This is why I was researching Trifexis. Again this discussion has enlightened me greatly and I will be discussing things over with my vet. Thank you so much everyone!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Here is a suggestion if you you think it may help.
Most of the common and most widely used heartworm preventative medications have either Milbemycin oxime or ivermectin as the active ingredient for heartworm prevention.
So you may do a web search such as "Milbemycin oxime vs ivermectin"
The other criterion is if its a medication that serves as a preventative for a variety of parasites. Such as flea and tick.
So you could do a search on the active medication for those drugs and make a comparison as to the effectiveness and risk.
I did both and it was one of the things that helped me make an informed decision. I have found for me there are no easy answers for this dilemma because their are proponents and horror stories on both of these heartworm preventative medications. But it may help to decide

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Active Ingredients in Popular Heartworm Medications Brand Ingredient(s)
Heartguard- Ivermectin
Heartguard Plus- Ivermectin, Pyrantel pamoate
Interceptor- Milbemycin oxime
Iverhart Plus- Ivermectin, Pyrantel pamoate
Iverhart Max- Ivermectin, Payantel pamoate, Praziquantel
Sentinel- Milbemycin Oxime
Trifexis- Milbemycin oxime

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Active Ingredients in Popular Heartworm Medications Brand Ingredient(s)
Heartguard- Ivermectin
Heartguard Plus- Ivermectin, Pyrantel pamoate
Interceptor- Milbemycin oxime
Iverhart Plus- Ivermectin, Pyrantel pamoate
Iverhart Max- Ivermectin, Payantel pamoate, Praziquantel
Sentinel- Milbemycin Oxime
Trifexis- Milbemycin oxime

Thank you so much I will do that!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 45112

This is my thoughts on Trifexis. I created this after Steve died. He was only 2 years old. There are a few websites, petitions and fb pages all geared towards getting Trifexis off the market.
Read this today: Those in UK, Canada and Australia--one member reports that the name TRIFEXIS has been changed to PANORAMIS. Same poison I assume by another name. Great marketing strategy, eh?

Sheli

May 18, 2013
San Antonio,TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NiKlauz
Yes,:yes: I have been giving my now 6 month old bully Trifexis for three months now and he seems to be doing fine on it. It must only be given on a full stomach though because it will cause vomiting other wise. The second time I had given it to him it was between breakfast and lunch and he did throw up once only 3-4 hrs after i had given it. I called vet to see if that meant I needed to give something else or another one but they said no that it would of already gotten in his system and that he'd be fine. Sure enough he was but this month I made sure to give it to him immediately after I saw him finish all his food and he didn't throw up so that's how i will continue to give him his Trifexis.

Hope this helps,
Michelle & NiKlauz

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Read this today: Those in UK, Canada and Australia--one member reports that the name TRIFEXIS has been changed to PANORAMIS. Same poison I assume by another name. Great marketing strategy, eh?

I just got word of this also. Thanks for sharing this!

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just got word of this also. Thanks for sharing this!
I wanted to get the word out there! Someone else and I was talking the other night and I see a trend in the type of dogs this medication is affecting mainly small to medium dogs as well as boxers (some consider boxers large dogs) I am wondering if its something in the genetic make up of these small to medium dogs that make them susceptible to whatever it is in this stuff that affects them. I believe they released this to soon before all the studies could be conducted.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
I gave Walley-Bubba his Trifexis with some cheese yesterday and after playing it with for a while, as he always does with everything, it disappeared down his dark maw ;)
Honestly, I was more worried about the possibility of all the mosquitos at my Bro-In-Law's cabin last weekend giving us both heartworm or West Nile Virus or whatever malfeasance fleas and mosquito's carry.
Oh and WB's poops this morning were still perfect (thanks to the Fromm Pork and Peas).

Last edited:
OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I gave Walley-Bubba his Trifexis with some cheese yesterday and after playing it with for a while, as he always does with everything, it disappeared down his dark maw ;)
Honestly, I was more worried about the possibility of all the mosquitos at my Bro-In-Law's cabin last weekend giving us both heartworm or West Nile Virus or whatever malfeasance fleas and mosquito's carry.
Oh and WB's poops this morning were still perfect (thanks to the Fromm Pork and Peas).

Mosquitoes are bad this year. I have been using Comfortis. My mother in laws dog can't use Heartguard it causes blood in her stool! Even breaking it up and giving it to her all day still does it!!!

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.