General Question Trifexis

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Also incidentally is this medication something they have been taking all along? I am wondering if its the manner in which its delivered. I know with any and all medications for my dog it depends on the weight of the dog, but I am wondering if they are given this medication as puppies they are able to build up an immunity to an ingredient that older dogs don't have. Just a thought.

Walley-Bubba has been on Triflexis since 8 weeks of age (last December).
Shadow has been on Triflexis for the past year (Ann tells me she thinks he was on Heartguard for 7 years before that).

I give it to Walley-Bubba the usual way - drop down his throat and holding his "moo" shut until he swallows.
Ann puts it on the floor and if Shadow doesn't eat it she wraps it in his favorite Baby Belle cheese (he loves Baby Belle cheese BTW).

Again, we are far from experts at this but Google research indicates the active ingredient in Heartgard and Heartgard Plus is ivermectin while the active ingredient in Triflexis is spinosad + milbemycin oxime. So it doesn't seem as though there is any built up immunity to a particular ingredient in these two medications.

Just curious, who is circulating the petition to ban Triflexis? Wondering what their motive might be?

Of course, make sure you are comfortable with whatever you give your doggie to prevent heartworm and don't skip it ever.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Walley-Bubba has been on Triflexis since 8 weeks of age (last December).
Shadow has been on Triflexis for the past year (Ann tells me she thinks he was on Heartguard for 7 years before that).

I give it to Walley-Bubba the usual way - drop down his throat and holding his "moo" shut until he swallows.
Ann puts it on the floor and if Shadow doesn't eat it she wraps it in his favorite Baby Belle cheese (he loves Baby Belle cheese BTW).

Again, we are far from experts at this but Google research indicates the active ingredient in Heartgard and Heartgard Plus is ivermectin while the active ingredient in Triflexis is spinosad + milbemycin oxime. So it doesn't seem as though there is any built up immunity to a particular ingredient in these two medications.

Just curious, who is circulating the petition to ban Triflexis? Wondering what their motive might be?

Of course, make sure you are comfortable with whatever you give your doggie to prevent heartworm and don't skip it ever.

It's being circulated pretty widely. The motive is the loss of a very wonderful Bully known to many here..because of this medicine..heartbreaking and its more common than you think.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
[MENTION=7311]Starkie[/MENTION], the petition is posted earlier in this thread, feel free to read it, many others have also commented on there about their issues after giving Trifexis. It was started by people who lost their precious Peaches due to this drug. As I have said before, far from ALL dogs will react badly, if that was the case this drug would have never reached the market in the first place. However, I personally wouldn't, with the facts I have, start this treatment on my dogs. If it works for you that is great:) And as you pointed out, the dosage is VERY important to follow in any medication. Most treatments have side effects, some just worse and more often than others and if it helps and saves more lives than it takes then it's a good thing. In this case though, there are options of other treatments and I cant say it will work better or worse but dog owners should know the risks as well as the advantages of the medicine prescribed to their beloved dogs.

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I was merely curious. Sheldon loves cheese that is how I give him his medication if he has to take any at all. I have been super lucky with him he has had little to no health problems at all. If I had the room I'd have a house full of these fur babies :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Our Vet recommends Trifexis, the breeder from which I acquired Ace, her vet recommends it. Vet recommendations are not the end all I know. Ace has taken two or three courses and is now due for his next and I have the tablet here. The last time I was at the Vet, and it was time for heartworm treatment I raised my concerns. The vet tech spoke at length with me about it but said if I was reluctant then of course they could provide something else. Then when the vet came in I again told her of my concerns. She said that some of the initial warnings associated with Trifexis were due to early studies and now that its been out longer and the sample size of dogs being treated with it is larger that it is considered safe, but of course she would have me use what I preferred though she recommended Trifexis. I asked if she had any problems with the drug in her practice and she said no. By the way the active heartworm ingredient in Trifexis and Sentinel are identical, the same chemical. The flea and tick medication in those medications are different. I am still reluctant and in fact Ace is about a week past due because I have been reluctant to give it. But I wonder if you googled any of the heartworm medications and added in the search adverse reactions I would wager you will get a share of horror stories. Ace has shown no ill effects. that I am aware of with Trifexis and although he will eat anything he is reluctant to take the Trifexis which is offered in treat form. That really doesn't prove or disprove anything I know. So Im reluctant to give it and yet many use it and love it but there also the horror stories.

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
As I have mentioned before in this forum heartworm medication in the area I live [North Florida] is a must. My Amstaff that I had in the mid 70's died of heartworms. So its not a question for me to give it or not the only question is which brand to use. You best not live in this area and take the chance you could likely lose your dog. And no there are no natural remedies for it either. You may use a product that purports to boost immunity or some sort of repellent to try and protect your dog but with enough exposure to mosquitoes carrying the larva that causes heartworms and the likelyhood of the dog getting heartworms is too high a risk to take that chance.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I just want to add to this conversation that while the active ingredient (or even all ingredients) in different treatments can be the same, the way they are made probably differ. I know this because I was myself on a pill a couple of years ago and I was offered to try another brand that was cheaper but had EXACTLY the same ingredients in it. It resulted in me getting sick from it and I couldn't understand why. My doctor explained to me that while the pills contains the EXACT same things they are put together differently. There are cheaper and more expensive ways of producing pills and obviously the latest one I got wasn't made the same way as my original medicine. Why this makes a different I don't know:blink: I just know that for me it made a huge difference and it probably will for dogs too. IF Trifexis changed their pill as your vet said [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] then the petition and all the negative response they've gotten worked, and that would be great:) I would still be cautious though...

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
This is a really good discussion. Thank you so much for the historic reasons why some folks here have such a strong opinion against Trifexis. And yet there are other points of view which are opposite. I guess all we can do is trust in God that nothing bad will happen to our beloved doggies. Our dogs must be given some protection against heartworm as we live in the heart of the Sacramento Delta in Northern California and mosquito's are not uncommon, spreading heartworm larvae to dogs and West Nile Disease to humans. So I'll give WB is Triflexis now and say a prayer to the Lord.

Thanks for all the good information. Via con Dios.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree @Petra. There are many variances that can make a difference. The amount of medication in each dose, the combinations of medications in the product, the source of the chemical, other ingredients, set and setting of the individual animal and etc. By way of disclaimer my Vet didn't say they changed the medication, but they may have. I don't know. What she was relating was that because the medication had been on the market longer and the sample size of animals on it larger that basically they now know by experience and time of usage its relatively safety. Not her exact words but my interpretation of what she meant. So I am very reluctant, but really what are my choices? All heartworm and parasite medications are poisons to one degree or another, all of them. Much like medications that humans take. People like animals respond differently. But let me phrase this in a different way for the sake of clarity. Let's say someone, myself or others, in this forum or elsewhere have been treating their pets with Trifexis for example without any known adverse reactions but then they are frightened by the horror stories, and let me add that I don't discount or dismiss any that have gone through an experience with their beloved pet and a negative outcome from a medication, it may well have been the medication that caused the problem. But suppose someone has been treating with Trifexis without adverse effects and they change to a different medication because of their fear and reluctance. So they give a different medication and then their pet has a negative reaction and outcome to the new drug? We can all imagine their feelings then, they were giving a medication that seemed to cause no ill effects, they changed medications and now their pet is sick or worse. Its a double edged sword. There is probably no heartworm medication on the market that someone hasn't experienced adverse effects from giving to their pet. So what do we do. We do the best we can, we inform ourselves and take our chances, what other choices do we have. We all desire the wellbeing of our beloved dogs. I could medicate Ace tomorrow with Trifexis and he could possibly have an adverse affect and I would feel awful, I could change the medication and he could do well or could have an adverse affect and I would feel terrible that I had switched when he seemed to tolerate the previous medication well. I'm reluctant but as I have said so far Ace has "appeared" to tolerate the drug. Another thing with Trifexis, and this is stated on the medication information that it is to be given with food. In other words don't give this medication on an empty stomach. I wish the choices in this matter were different and there was no concerns but that's not the reality.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION].....I absolutely adore you! I'm so glad we found each other!

Each and everyone of us will have an opinion that differs from the next. Some people have more open minds than others. I am very closed minded about Trifexis. It makes me sick that they are now advertising it on tv. But...when you are in love with a bulldog and he dies a tragic death, suffers horribly and the bulldog community suffer right along with you...when you are told by the neurologist that your 2 year old bulldog was completely healthy and the ONLY thing that has differed in his life is the drug Trifexis (who's testimonial claims 'can cause seizures') you form your opinion and you fight. That is what we are doing. All of us who followed Steve Slocum on facebook [MENTION=4188]diane[/MENTION] Brizendine Slocum, fell in love with him. A part of our hearts died with him.

Not everyones pets will suffer from the poison...but a lot have. Some have died. Steve died. Some vets recommend it....mine refuses to and really hates the drug. He has reasons for his opinions. Other vets have reasons for theirs. All I know is this. I will never use Trifexis, I will always tell Steve's story about Trifexis, I've signed the petition and I stand behind the people who are fighting to get the drug removed. I would never try the stuff on myself. It's poison. If I don't have the backbone to apply the poison to myself....I'd never put it on my pet. I'm only 1 person. I live in the PNW. In the time that I've lived in this house (12 years) I've seen 1 flea. I'm lucky...I'm not forced to make the decision on which flea/tick/heartworm medicine to use.

Are those of us that are against the drug, right vs those who choose to use it? No. But our experience with the drug have us going down a different path than those who choose the drug. All we can do is tell our story. You ask what our motive is behind the petition? Exactly what it states. To get the drug off the market.

Every drug has side effects and every animal will react differently. I accept that. It's the same with human drugs. But I tell you one thing...when drugs like Phen-fen, Vioxx, Darvon, Meridia, Avandia....etc kill people/cause heart attacks.....the drug is pulled from the market. The FDA is responsible for protecting people....but do they have the same responsibilities of protecting our fur kids?

Last edited:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Ja [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] it's exactly as you say. To change the medication if your dog is doing well on it is difficult because you can never predict how another treatment will effect your dog... it's really no right or wrong here. If it has worked for you in the past and your dog shows no signs of sickness... I don't know... if you hadn't read all the negative stuff about it you would have been continuing on using it without worries. It is really really hard:*( and I'm sorry that this thread is causing worry and confusion for those who use Trifexis with no problems but we can also not keep quiet when knowing...:nope: I'm SO lucky, heartworm does not exist here in South Africa, and I hope it stays that way.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]. I understand your feelings and commitment entirely. I would no doubt feel and do the same in your situation. But as I stated in an earlier post in the area I live its not a question of if to give a medication but which. Do I take the chance of giving a different medication when my dog appears to tolerate this one. You see the dilemma I'm sure. I know full well that if I treat Ace with the drug and he gets sick I will blame myself and say to myself "see you should have listened" but of course there is the reverse side of this coin as I have already stated. All of these medications are poisons. But what is a well meaning and well intentioned person to do? If I change drugs now and my dog does well then fine, but if he gets sick from a different medication then I will feel terrible and chastise myself for switching. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. Is one way of looking at it which I don't like. I still haven't given another dosage but most likely will. Was just waiting till he overed the diarrhea. I have to do something and either seems risky now.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Aww [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] thank you:heart:

I totally understand where you are coming from when it comes to Trifexis, if I knew Steve the way you did I would go mad, know that I have been crying more than once reading his story and seeing his pictures. Such a beautiful boy:cry: I'm trying to stay neutral as best as I can, cos I do know for some this drug will work. I would never use it or recommend it since there are other brands that seems to not give as aggressive side effects. However I do also understand those who use it without problems and will continue to use it therefor. I hope for a treatment that is completely safe and if I could do miracles I would wipe heartworm off this planet.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION]. Would that we didn't have a choice as this to make or that there were fail safe medications. Another bit of information to add to this is that our Maltese was on Trifexis as well. With no ill effects. He just wouldn't eat it without hidding small amounts in peanut butter or something and we were never sure he was getting the proper dosage and etc. But he very finicky anyway there are alot of things he turns his nose up to so unlike Ace that will eat anything and a bunch of it. So now the Maltese is on a 6 months heartworm vaccine and comfortis. With no apparent ill effects. So you see if it were not for the horror stories there would be no question for me, two pets both which appear to tolerate the drug. The drug in Comfortis, minus the heartworm medication is the same tick and flea medication in Trifexis. My heart goes out to all in this forum or elsewhere whose beloved pet suffered from this drug or any drug for that matter and like them if I was convinced the drug was the culprit I would be kicking *** and taking names

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
As I have mentioned before in this forum heartworm medication in the area I live [North Florida] is a must. My Amstaff that I had in the mid 70's died of heartworms. So its not a question for me to give it or not the only question is which brand to use. You best not live in this area and take the chance you could likely lose your dog. And no there are no natural remedies for it either. You may use a product that purports to boost immunity or some sort of repellent to try and protect your dog but with enough exposure to mosquitoes carrying the larva that causes heartworms and the likelyhood of the dog getting heartworms is too high a risk to take that chance.
That is a very well spoken point! I spoke to my vet this morning about it as well but not at length. I will be giving Sheldon the flea pill but not trifexis it called something else and its just for fleas. We had a small problem last year not bad though we managed to get it under control pretty quickly with the use of the medication you put on the back of their neck. The threat of heartworms to my fur baby scares me to death. It makes me want to put him in a bubble. LOL.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.