Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trifexis

Real Name
    Simon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trifexis

We are not experts by any means, but we have had several dogs over the years, including a Corgie Mix who lived to be almost 20 years old.

Walley-Bubba (7 month old English Bully) and Shadow (8 year old Yorkie) both doing great on
    Trifexis.
    Out vet is extremely cautious, even cautioning us on the use of Desitin which contains zinc, so we trust her opinion.

It's apparently important to maintain the proper dosage of Trifexis for the weight of a particular dog and administer it on a strict, monthly schedule. This is apparently true for many heartworm medication; you can't just skip a month or two and then start administering again without a heartworm test or you may kill your dog.
    We have seen the same cautionary information for several other heartworm prevention meds, not just Trifexis.

The dosage required is also important and depends on the weight of the dog. This is why we only buy a 1 month supply for WB (7 months, still growing EB who was 54.3 lbs today). But for Shadow (Yorkie 8 lbs wringing wet and so fully grown LOL), we get a 6 months supply at a time to save money.

It seems all of these heartworm meds are poisons to some degree or another. But all it takes is one mosquito bite to infect your dog with microscopic heartworm larvae and without something to counteract it they will grow and eventually migrate to the heart and stop it.
    Last edited by Starkie; 05-31-2013 at 05:12 PM.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Ja @Jennifer Clark it's good if as many as possible knows, then at least they can get the chance to make the right decision. Of course people will trust their vet if he prescribes something, he is meant to be your dogs doctor and life saver. I've tried my best getting friends and family to sign the petition, but me not knowing anybody in the USA is making it hard. This drug doesn't exist where I'm from or where I live now and for that I'm thankful. I would go mad, absolutely crazy, if I found out my vet sold something like this. I'm pretty calm but when it comes to my fur kids you better not mess with me The only good thing coming out of all of this is that maybe now people will, just like you did here, ask advice and search the internet for information before treating your dog. I know I'm more paranoid now than before, if that is even possible
    I usually do research before I give my fur baby anything even if the vet prescribes it simply because some things the side effects are worse than the sickness. I have been super lucky with my fur baby he has been so healthy I hardly ever have to take him to the vet and I have a friend that is a vet tech that I get advice from also, but really I like having all the information I can before making a decision I do the same thing with my skin kids.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starkie View Post
    We are not experts by any means, but we have had several dogs over the years, including a Corgie Mix who lived to be almost 20 years old.

Walley-Bubba (7 month old English Bully) and Shadow (8 year old Yorkie) both doing great on
    Trifexis.
    Out vet is extremely cautious, even cautioning us on the use of Desitin which contains zinc, so we trust her opinion.

It's apparently important to maintain the proper dosage of Trifexis for the weight of a particular dog and administer it on a strict, monthly schedule. This is apparently true for many heartworm medication; you can't just skip a month or two and then start administering again without a heartworm test or you may kill your dog.
    We have seen the same cautionary information for several other heartworm prevention meds, not just Trifexis.

The dosage required is also important and depends on the weight of the dog. This is why we only buy a 1 month supply for WB (7 months, still growing EB who was 54.3 lbs today). But for Shadow (Yorkie 8 lbs wringing wet and so fully grown LOL), we get a 6 months supply at a time to save money.

It seems all of these heartworm meds are poisons to some degree or another. But all it takes is one mosquito bite to infect your dog with microscopic heartworm larvae and without something to counteract it they will grow and eventually migrate to the heart and stop it.
    That is awesome they are doing so well but honestly I'm not willing to take the risk with my fur baby. His happy eyes and smiles are just too important for me not to take the warning to heart. Thank you so much for you input also.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Simon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    That is awesome they are doing so well but honestly I'm not willing to take the risk with my fur baby. His happy eyes and smiles are just too important for me not to take the warning to heart. Thank you so much for you input also.
    Well, you asked for feedback and we gave our honest opinions and actual results. We are not inclined to get caught up in any petitions unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Again, it's important to administer the correct dosage in a timely manner for any heartworm medication or risk catastrophe. And as we know, all of the heartworm medications that are available are toxic to some degree or another otherwise they wouldn't kill those nasty heartworm micro larvae. Whatever "brand" you chose, just stick to it and your dog will surely live a long and happy life. We are sticking with Triflexis by the way and our pups mean everything in the world to us without any doubt.
    Last edited by Starkie; 05-31-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well, you asked for feedback and we gave our honest opinions and actual results. We are not inclined to get caught up in any petitions unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Again, it's important to administer the correct dosage in a timely manner for any heartworm medication or risk catastrophe. And as we know, all of the heartworm medications that are available are toxic to some degree or another otherwise they wouldn't kill those nasty heartworm micro larvae. Whatever "brand" you chose, just stick to it and your dog will surely live a long and happy life. We are sticking with Triflexis by the way and our pups mean everything in the world to us without any doubt.
    I will definitely be taking all the information I am learning both on here as well as other feed back such as feed back from our vet. I do trust his judgement he hasn't steered me wrong yet with Sheldon. I am a first time Bully companion so I ask a lot of questions and I certainly do appreciate any and all feedback I get. I have been using Heartguard with him and he likes it ok but it really messes his tummy up. I am still learning every day is a new learning experience for both of us. Again Thank you

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Also incidentally is this medication something they have been taking all along? I am wondering if its the manner in which its delivered. I know with any and all medications for my dog it depends on the weight of the dog, but I am wondering if they are given this medication as puppies they are able to build up an immunity to an ingredient that older dogs don't have. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Simon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    Also incidentally is this medication something they have been taking all along? I am wondering if its the manner in which its delivered. I know with any and all medications for my dog it depends on the weight of the dog, but I am wondering if they are given this medication as puppies they are able to build up an immunity to an ingredient that older dogs don't have. Just a thought.
    Walley-Bubba has been on Triflexis since 8 weeks of age (last December).
    Shadow has been on Triflexis for the past year (Ann tells me she thinks he was on Heartguard for 7 years before that).

I give it to Walley-Bubba the usual way - drop down his throat and holding his "moo" shut until he swallows.
    Ann puts it on the floor and if Shadow doesn't eat it she wraps it in his favorite Baby Belle cheese (he loves Baby Belle cheese BTW).

Again, we are far from experts at this but Google research indicates the active ingredient in Heartgard and Heartgard Plus is ivermectin while the active ingredient in Triflexis is spinosad + milbemycin oxime. So it doesn't seem as though there is any built up immunity to a particular ingredient in these two medications.

Just curious, who is circulating the petition to ban Triflexis? Wondering what their motive might be?

Of course, make sure you are comfortable with whatever you give your doggie to prevent heartworm and don't skip it ever.
    Last edited by Starkie; 06-01-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Walley-Bubba has been on Triflexis since 8 weeks of age (last December).
    Shadow has been on Triflexis for the past year (Ann tells me she thinks he was on Heartguard for 7 years before that).

I give it to Walley-Bubba the usual way - drop down his throat and holding his "moo" shut until he swallows.
    Ann puts it on the floor and if Shadow doesn't eat it she wraps it in his favorite Baby Belle cheese (he loves Baby Belle cheese BTW).

Again, we are far from experts at this but Google research indicates the active ingredient in Heartgard and Heartgard Plus is ivermectin while the active ingredient in Triflexis is spinosad + milbemycin oxime. So it doesn't seem as though there is any built up immunity to a particular ingredient in these two medications.

Just curious, who is circulating the petition to ban Triflexis? Wondering what their motive might be?

Of course, make sure you are comfortable with whatever you give your doggie to prevent heartworm and don't skip it ever.
    It's being circulated pretty widely. The motive is the loss of a very wonderful Bully known to many here..because of this medicine..heartbreaking and its more common than you think.
    @Libra926

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

@Starkie, the petition is posted earlier in this thread, feel free to read it, many others have also commented on there about their issues after giving Trifexis. It was started by people who lost their precious Peaches due to this drug. As I have said before, far from ALL dogs will react badly, if that was the case this drug would have never reached the market in the first place. However, I personally wouldn't, with the facts I have, start this treatment on my dogs. If it works for you that is great And as you pointed out, the dosage is VERY important to follow in any medication. Most treatments have side effects, some just worse and more often than others and if it helps and saves more lives than it takes then it's a good thing. In this case though, there are options of other treatments and I cant say it will work better or worse but dog owners should know the risks as well as the advantages of the medicine prescribed to their beloved dogs.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was merely curious. Sheldon loves cheese that is how I give him his medication if he has to take any at all. I have been super lucky with him he has had little to no health problems at all. If I had the room I'd have a house full of these fur babies

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Our Vet recommends Trifexis, the breeder from which I acquired Ace, her vet recommends it. Vet recommendations are not the end all I know. Ace has taken two or three courses and is now due for his next and I have the tablet here. The last time I was at the Vet, and it was time for heartworm treatment I raised my concerns. The vet tech spoke at length with me about it but said if I was reluctant then of course they could provide something else. Then when the vet came in I again told her of my concerns. She said that some of the initial warnings associated with Trifexis were due to early studies and now that its been out longer and the sample size of dogs being treated with it is larger that it is considered safe, but of course she would have me use what I preferred though she recommended Trifexis. I asked if she had any problems with the drug in her practice and she said no. By the way the active heartworm ingredient in Trifexis and Sentinel are identical, the same chemical. The flea and tick medication in those medications are different. I am still reluctant and in fact Ace is about a week past due because I have been reluctant to give it. But I wonder if you googled any of the heartworm medications and added in the search adverse reactions I would wager you will get a share of horror stories. Ace has shown no ill effects. that I am aware of with Trifexis and although he will eat anything he is reluctant to take the Trifexis which is offered in treat form. That really doesn't prove or disprove anything I know. So Im reluctant to give it and yet many use it and love it but there also the horror stories.
    Last edited by Rural mystic; 06-01-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

As I have mentioned before in this forum heartworm medication in the area I live [North Florida] is a must. My Amstaff that I had in the mid 70's died of heartworms. So its not a question for me to give it or not the only question is which brand to use. You best not live in this area and take the chance you could likely lose your dog. And no there are no natural remedies for it either. You may use a product that purports to boost immunity or some sort of repellent to try and protect your dog but with enough exposure to mosquitoes carrying the larva that causes heartworms and the likelyhood of the dog getting heartworms is too high a risk to take that chance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads