Help Needed! Hot Spot Help Needed!!!

Wilsons Mom

Jan 18, 2013
Boston, MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
So Wilson went in for his cherry eye surgery and to be neutered and microchipped last Friday and everything seemed to go well. He was sent home with an econe and I was told not to take it off...no further instructions about the cone. Well 3 days later, Wilson had what turned out to be a hot spot under the collar. I thought it was caused from the cone rubbing against all of his wrinkles under his neck, but when I called the vet they asked me if he had been drooling. Drooling...are you kidding me...he's a bulldog. I guess i was supposed to make sure that this area remained dry. Well, needless to say, they shaved his chest and put him on antibiotics and pain medication. But, 36 hours later he doesn't seem to be getting any better. The spot is still very moist no matter how many times I use the ATS. Should I take him back to the vet tomorrow or wait for my appointment on Friday???? I just feel so bad for him...he seems so uncomfortable.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wash wash wash it. Hot spots need to be dried out and washing with an antibacterial soap, preferably hibiclens, at least 3 times a day should help. Did they prescribe any topical steroid like panalog? If not you can use yellow listerine many say. But personally I would want some type if antibacterial mixed with a steroid. Panalog, malecetic ultra, gen one spray, or even a hydicortizone cream for humans.

Likely it was caused by a combination of the plastic cone touching his skin. Plastic and bullies don't mesh. That combined with the wetness flared off the hot spot. I had this happen before too. The plastic actually colored his white fur green!!!! And I DID wash the cone several times a day. But alas it's plastic and like I said, most bulldogs don't fair well with a constant contact of plastic on their skin.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Wilsons Mom

Wilsons Mom

Jan 18, 2013
Boston, MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...they did not prescribe a steroid. He was sent home with an oral and topical antibiotic. Rilexine to be given twice a day and topical antibiotic to be used 4 times a day. I've been trying to dry it out but it just continues to ooze.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
No experience of this but you've been given great advice by Lisa. Hope he feels better soon!!!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Ohh that poor baby I had the same issue with one of mine. Her poor little neck and chest was so red all you can really do is keep putting the medicine the vet gave you on it and wash, wash, wash it alot I think I must have washed hers 5 or 6 times a day at least and dry it really well. Make sure you dry it every time he gets a drink.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I think [MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION] posted about hot spots yesterday, it was titled " Vetericyn-Rec by Caesar Milan" sounded very good :) I don't know how to get that exact post attached to here....so hopefully you can find it from the info I put here :)

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Try Vetericyn, you can get it anywhere. Works awesome on Bubbas hot spots! It's a bit expensive but works the best of everything I have tried in the past!

So Wilson went in for his cherry eye surgery and to be neutered and microchipped last Friday and everything seemed to go well. He was sent home with an econe and I was told not to take it off...no further instructions about the cone. Well 3 days later, Wilson had what turned out to be a hot spot under the collar. I thought it was caused from the cone rubbing against all of his wrinkles under his neck, but when I called the vet they asked me if he had been drooling. Drooling...are you kidding me...he's a bulldog. I guess i was supposed to make sure that this area remained dry. Well, needless to say, they shaved his chest and put him on antibiotics and pain medication. But, 36 hours later he doesn't seem to be getting any better. The spot is still very moist no matter how many times I use the ATS. Should I take him back to the vet tomorrow or wait for my appointment on Friday???? I just feel so bad for him...he seems so uncomfortable.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Vetericyn Was a miracle worker when used on my Catahoula that got stung
by a red wasp or yellow jacket and his brother licked his cheek raw creating
a wound as big as the palm of my hand...I bawled when I saw it and rushed
Leo to the Vet. If I had not seen the wound then saw how unbelievably fast
and effectively it worked, I wouldn't have believed it possible.

Worth every cent...buy it! GOD bless!!

OP
Wilsons Mom

Wilsons Mom

Jan 18, 2013
Boston, MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
[MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION]...We went back to the vet for his post op appt (cherry eye and neutering) and they looked at the hot spot again. They shaved him for the second time and prescribed a topical spray. Now he's on an antibiotic pill, pain meds, topical ointment and a topical spray. Unfortunately, that spray stung Wilson so I went out and bought the Vetericyn and it seems to be healing. It's just such a large area...his chest and under his neck...that I think it will take a little while to really heal. Having never dealt with this problem before, I'm not exactly sure what its supposed to look like when it's healing but it appears to be drying up and scabbing. For those of you who have experience with this, are we on the road to recovery???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like you are! Oozing is bad, scabbing is good.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Yes! That is good! Also, you might want to bathe him in a chlorhexidine shampoo (antibactierial) every few days. Just make sure you dry him really well. Don't rub off scabs though. I use a hair dryer on warm setting: he doesn't like it but you don't want more moisture around it. Sounds like he is on the road to recovery. Use Vetericyn 3-4 or more times a day. You will be suprised how quickly it gets better! Hot spots are a pain in the rump! Good luck! Keep us informed on how he's doing please.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
but it appears to be drying up and scabbing. For those of you who have experience with this, are we on the road to recovery???

Yes ^^^ this is what you want!

Most Reactions