The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Cherry eye- what would you do?

So Blue's had a mild (meaning small) case of Cherry eye in his left eye for the last few weeks.
    It comes out every 2-3 days but so far we've massaged it back in each time.

I read here that once your bullie gets it in one eye, it's just a matter of time before he gets it in the other. So far though, his right is fine.
    Riisi Mentioned Usko had it when he was younger but it went away on it's own as he grew. @RiiSi how often did Usko get it?

So here's my question, should we get it tucked now or wait?
    My biggest concern is would waiting cause more serious eye issues? Or as long as we can massage it back in, it should be fine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cherry eye- what would you do?

Two questions:

How old is Blue?

And did your vet show you how to put the cherry eye back in?

I ask because my Truman sounds similar. He had a mild cherry eye at a young age and the vet showed us how to put it back in and advised us to let his head fill out to see if it gets better or if the other side comes out. It got better and the other side never came out, thus we did not need surgery. Once in a great while, it'll pop out again but massaging it back in place is fairly straight forward once you get the hang of it.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Two questions:

How old is Blue?

And did your vet show you how to put the cherry eye back in?

I ask because my Truman sounds similar. He had a mild cherry eye at a young age and the vet showed us how to put it back in and advised us to let his head fill out to see if it gets better or if the other side comes out. It got better and the other side never came out, thus we did not need surgery. Once in a great while, it'll pop out again but massaging it back in place is fairly straight forward once you get the hang of it.
    He'll be 6 months next week.
    But no, the vet didn't show us, Youtube did . The vet hasn't seen it yet.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

if your bully will be getting fixed around 6 months then that would be a good time to tack it if it seems to be a chronic issue. anesthesia only once vs waiting and having to endure the stress twice. Lola doesn't have cherry eye, but we doubled down on a tooth extraction and palate surgery.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    He'll be 6 months next week.
    But no, the vet didn't show us, Youtube did . The vet hasn't seen it yet.
    This is when it started happened to Truman as well so it's probably best to give his head a chance to fill out to see if that helps or exacerbates the issue. As I said, in Truman's case, it really helped and he almost never gets a cherry eye.

In the meantime, cherry eye is really a cosmetic issue so if you can work with Blue to get the eyelid back in or perhaps ask your vet to show you (our vet wasn't too keen on this), it can really help. I've also found that a nap will often return the gland back to it's spot within in the eye.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    if your bully will be getting fixed around 6 months then that would be a good time to tack it if it seems to be a chronic issue. anesthesia only once vs waiting and having to endure the stress twice. Lola doesn't have cherry eye, but we doubled down on a tooth extraction and palate surgery.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Well, that's another thing. He's not getting neutered for another year. We're waiting until he's about 18 months.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Oh sorry, I missed the part about you already knowing how to massage it in! I would continue to do that until he's bigger and see how it goes!

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    This is when it started happened to Truman as well so it's probably best to give his head a chance to fill out to see if that helps or exacerbates the issue. As I said, in Truman's case, it really helped and he almost never gets a cherry eye.

In the meantime, cherry eye is really a cosmetic issue so if you can work with Blue to get the eyelid back in or perhaps ask your vet to show you (our vet wasn't too keen on this), it can really help. I've also found that a nap will often return the gland back to it's spot within in the eye.
    Thank you for the advice.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Finn gets this every so often too and I've been successful with massaging it back in. When he was younger it seemed like he got the cherry eye more often. Funny thing, I was just telling myself how he hasn't had it in months and wouldn't you know it, that same night it came out again. I notice it happens when he's very excitable and has been playing hard w/his brother, or if he's very tired. I've not considered surgery for him at this point.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Finn gets this every so often too and I've been successful with massaging it back in. When he was younger it seemed like he got the cherry eye more often. Funny thing, I was just telling myself how he hasn't had it in months and wouldn't you know it, that same night it came out again. I notice it happens when he's very excitable and has been playing hard w/his brother, or if he's very tired. I've not considered surgery for him at this point.
    Thanks.
    It's good to hear from multiple people that there's a chance it may go away. Or at least, come out less.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with everyone else if you can massage it and it stays in I would hold off on the surgery. The only time I have had cherry eye done was when it wouldnt stay in at all and got really red and dry looking. I could tell in opviously was irrating so I had them removed.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Buster and I just hope Blue's eye gets better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads