OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions.
Going to speak with our vet next week, but I think we're going to wait and see how it develops.

Last edited:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I have no experience with this and nothing to add, but I just wanted to say that I do hope that Blue is one of the lucky that has this occur rarely and will not need surgery to repair :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven has been getting Cherry Eye since she was about four months. I normally massage it back in. At first it was only one eye, now here and there (not all that frequent) she will get it in the other eye as well. I think for as long as I can keep massaging it in then that is what I will do. If and when we have to have it done I will do both sides. I have read that more or less if they get it in one side it tends to happen in the other. I would suggest holding out as long as you can and just massaging it back in.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It seems to come out when he's scratching his face. I Guess his paw is hitting his eye somehow.

I'm amazed how common it is and how many people are able to just put it back in. This is good news. Hoping it won't get any worse.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
It seems to come out when he's scratching his face. I Guess his paw is hitting his eye somehow.

I'm amazed how common it is and how many people are able to just put it back in. This is good news. Hoping it won't get any worse.

I definitely think it's an allergen response. Sometimes when Raven is outside and the pollen count is high, I notice that she will start itching her face and then it will pop out. I also notice sometimes if she is playing tug for a really long time with my husband or son it will also pop.

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
Minnie just had her eye done, she is nine months old. We had a lengthy discussion without vet and we did not want her to have any damage to her eye. Like you, it would go back in after a while. Initially, it would only pop out once a week, then more frequently. Vet said to expect the other to so the same.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Cherry Eye Advice Needed!!
I copied and pasted this from another person I gave advice to, hope it helps
hi , I also have a female named Blossom who developed Cherry eye at the same age (5 months) , at first I was able to massage it back in, but by the time I had her spayed at 7 months, it was no longer staying in, and was getting bigger from swelling due to being exposed to the air. I had her eye repaired at the same time as her spay surgery when she was 7 months old. unfortunately a week later the other eye poppped out as well, and pretty big right from the beginning, it wouldn't massage back in at all, and so a month later she had a second surgery to fix the eye. Our vet does not remove the tear gland, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and she has her own technique that she has perfected and told us she has a 85 to 90 % success rate for the eye not to pop out again. we are very happy with the job she did, and Blossoms eyes are beautiful. We had no problems post surgery, and its been 3 months since the surgeries, and no problems. I'm so sorry you and Sophie are going through this , and having such a tough time. I am not familiar with the other method of removing the gland, but there are other members who have had it removed with no problems, and others who have had problems with dry eye, I think they can develop dry eye with either method, and there really isn't any right or wrong way to repair the eye. There are risks with both, but the tacking in of the gland with sutures has more risk of recurring cherry eye, than removing the gland altogether. i think you just have to do your research, that's what I did, and ask lots of questions, then talk to your vet, and see which method he has done more and which one he recommends and why, and them make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. In your case since the first surgery was not succesful, and they have already cut a pocket in her eye, i would be wondering if another surgery with sutures might irritate her eye and cause her more problems, and for the price $1800 and no guarantee, i would be leery of doing it again, a better option for you may be to remove the gland altogether to save her having more surgeries, and risking irritation to her eyes, and future problems down the road. If you have it removed, you wouldn't have to worry about it not working, and having to do further surgeries. you may have to give drops after , but I would rather do that than have her go through more. It is something you have to discuss and think about, and then make a decision with your vet. I hope everythng works out for Sophie and you find a way to fix her eyes. sending love , hugs and prayers your way, for a solution, and a speedy recovery for Sophie. Keep us posted on what you decide , and how she is doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions.
Going to speak with our vet next week, but I think we're going to wait and see how it develops.

I never had to deal with it, but if you can massage it in and is ok with you doing it. see if you can hold off like sheshistory did with Truman. Best of luck and keep us posted

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hiya [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thanks for asking.

We were able to massage it back in until two days ago. We're now using a steroid gel in his eye twice a day.
I'm making an appointment with the opthamologist for next week. We'll go from there..

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I took my Tyson to the vet yesterday . He gave me the same gel for his eye twice a day . Hopefully his cherry eye goes down so i can massage it back in. He is 17 weeks old to young for the surgery for his eye . Is this gel going to get it down

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon got it a few times when he was a puppy and we were able to massage it back in, it probably hasn't happened in the last 6 months too.

sezylou

May 31, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Great help with cherry eye. My gorgeous bulldog is 5 months and his popped out this evening and I thought it would be another trip to the vet tomorrow, however after looking at you tube and a little massage it popped right back in. Was a bit scarey looking at first! Hope he doesn't get them too often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 43

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.