What's wrong with his eyes? Help, please

benjibabies3

May 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy and Dozer
image.jpgDozer is our 3 month baby. His left eye has always had a little of the white showing but today he looks like this. Any idea what this could be?
the picture of him in the grass is how he usually looks. I'm worried about my baby :*(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 122

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like cherry eye. There is a video on youtube that shows how you can message it back in. Sometimes they stay in and sometimes they don't. If it doesn't stay in you will need to take him to a good bully vet and have surgery on it to keep it in place. Very common with bullies.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
The one eye looks like it might be cherry eye cant really tell about the other one I cant really tell in the picture .cherry eye looks like a red bubble usually on the bottom of the eye closer to the nose. If it is cherry eye you can take your finger and close the puppys eyes ( which it will probabley do automatically) the then gentley push in and down you need very little pressure to make it go back in. Dont panic if it doesnt go in he will just need a trip to the vet. Most will sedate him and tack it back in so he would have to have surgery. Some will just cut it off, I have one rescue girl and she has heart issue so she cant be sedated so hers were just cut out.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree it looks like cherry eye, but at the same time, it's covering an unusually large portion of his eye - likely limiting his sight. My experience with cherry eye has never seen half or more of the eyeball covered.

I would make an appointment at the vet and make sure you bring in the photo in the case that the eyes self-correct when he goes to sleep.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
04-26-2013, 11:15 PM #3
Vikinggirl
Double Pooper Scooper!!!

Real Name
Monica
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Recent Bully Market Gifts

View All...

Total Awards: 19
Re: Cherry eye?
I copied and pasted this from another person I gave advice to, hope it helps
hi , I also have a female named Blossom who developed Cherry eye at the same age (5 months) , at first I was able to massage it back in, but by the time I had her spayed at 7 months, it was no longer staying in, and was getting bigger from swelling due to being exposed to the air. I had her eye repaired at the same time as her spay surgery when she was 7 months old. unfortunately a week later the other eye poppped out as well, and pretty big right from the beginning, it wouldn't massage back in at all, and so a month later she had a second surgery to fix the eye. Our vet does not remove the tear gland, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and she has her own technique that she has perfected and told us she has a 85 to 90 % success rate for the eye not to pop out again. we are very happy with the job she did, and Blossoms eyes are beautiful. We had no problems post surgery, and its been 3 months since the surgeries, and no problems. I'm so sorry you and Sophie are going through this , and having such a tough time. I am not familiar with the other method of removing the gland, but there are other members who have had it removed with no problems, and others who have had problems with dry eye, I think they can develop dry eye with either method, and there really isn't any right or wrong way to repair the eye. There are risks with both, but the tacking in of the gland with sutures has more risk of recurring cherry eye, than removing the gland altogether. i think you just have to do your research, that's what I did, and ask lots of questions, then talk to your vet, and see which method he has done more and which one he recommends and why, and them make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. In your case since the first surgery was not succesful, and they have already cut a pocket in her eye, i would be wondering if another surgery with sutures might irritate her eye and cause her more problems, and for the price $1800 and no guarantee, i would be leery of doing it again, a better option for you may be to remove the gland altogether to save her having more surgeries, and risking irritation to her eyes, and future problems down the road. If you have it removed, you wouldn't have to worry about it not working, and having to do further surgeries. you may have to give drops after , but I would rather do that than have her go through more. It is something you have to discuss and think about, and then make a decision with your vet. I hope everythng works out for you and you find a way to fix her eyes. sending love , hugs and prayers your way, for a solution, and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on what you decide , and how she is doing.

0 Comment(s)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
View attachment 45096Dozer is our 3 month baby. His left eye has always had a little of the white showing but today he looks like this. Any idea what this could be?
the picture of him in the grass is how he usually looks. I'm worried about my baby :*(

I'm not familiar with cherry eye, Rocky hasn't had this, but let me explain something else I am familiar with, My cocker Spaniels use to sometimes run in tall grass, The long grass stems use to splat them on the face as they run through them, My cocker come back to me one day after playing and running through this tall grass, and her eyes looked a lot like that…… I freaked out and took her to the vet. Vet evaluated her and told me that their is an upper eyelid and a lower eyelid to Dogs, When dogs run through high grass, the lower eye lid sometimes comes up as a protective shield for their eyes, This eyelid is to protect them from harming their eyes, even though it looked very very bad, it wasn't and was only a protective measure. After a nights rest, and relaxing inside, the bottom eyelid went back in place, and it was the first and only time I had ever seen anything like this, I keep wanting to say it was white, and thats why I noticed it so quick, but it may have been clear and I spotted it immediately. Irreguardless it wasn't normal. As i'm saying i'm not familiar with cherry eye, and by the looks of your dogs eyes, I would follow the advice of cherry eye, I can't really see your babies eyes that well, But wanted to throw that scenario out there, as i've only seen it once, My Vet also told me it could have been brought on through severe stress as well, Even though my girl had been in high grass running as fast as she could playing, I thought it was the neatest thing I had ever heard of with my cocker, as a protective nature built in my mother nature, So if your baby has been running in tall grass, or severely stressed, this may make sense to you, if not, please follow the cherry eye advice, as I've never felt with Cherry eye before, and have no input on it. Hopefully one of these scenarios make sense, and trust me, These guys have had bully all their lives, I've had cocker spaniels, and am new to the Bully world, although loving my Bully, I'm Novice to a lot of their problems, and am here to learn all I can to be a better parent to my Rocky.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.