How active is your senior bully?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My oldest bully, Linus, is 7.5 years old and, as can be expected, he is slowing down a bit. I have noticed a gradual slowing but lately, it really seems like he's always resting or thinking about resting. I don't mind - I want him to be happy in his golden years and enjoy his time snoozing in his bed in front of the box fan - but sometimes I worry he's too inactive.

Does anyone have experience with a senior bully, over the age of 7? What was the activity level? Was there anything you did to stimulate more activity or did you just let your bully be? Linus was never much of a walker or exerciser but he does like playing with his toys, which he does for probably 10 minutes or so every night.

For background, Linus is in pretty good health and takes a daily joint supplement, oil supplement for his skin, and allergy medicine, but that's it...which doesn't seem so bad for a bully his age!

Any insights are appreciated!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Princess is 10 and doesn't care for walks but she still doesn't really settle down and nap all day. She follows me around everywhere so she is always moving from room to room. She does still get silly and plays with toys, and she will also sometimes after going to the bathroom sprint back to the door (more of a gallop and less of sprint I guess :ROFL:). We do have a stroller for her to take her on walks when we take Gio and Diva.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wow [MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] - it makes me so happy to hear your bullies are going strong at 10 years old! I would say Linus sounds a lot like your Princess, [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] - he'll get silly for a bit, he definitely runs after going potty, but he's just not a walker or anything.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is 7.5 yrs old.... she his a great energy level, loves to walk, play and occupy herself with toys/bones. They last about 20 - 30 mins, but she has not lost any of her energy level since being a puppy. Even with her back issues, she is still always willing to move about and play or walk.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bre was 7 and her active times pretty much consisted of following me around the house. If I was moving from room to room she was following me but other than that she was sleeping or sitting watching the kids play or getting pets from us. She didn't like walks and she definitely didn't want to play with the other dogs. Just wanted to rest :)

KathyFlores

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Our bulldog Roxy is 10 and 1/2 years old . She don't go outside like she use too. Its had gotten to were I have to put newspaper down for her. her sleep pattern is sleeping all day and she barks late at night then she wants to go outside but that's when she wants too. She also has dry eyes which the vet gives her eyes meds and has me washing her eyes and said to use Gen_Teal . but , she still gets that eye mucus , I hope she's not losing her eye sight , she faces the walls and barks, and at times she seems be also okay , its hard at times for me because I just don't know what to do , I refuse to put her down and she eats just fine.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
curious as to what age our babies become seniors?

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Our bulldog Roxy is 10 and 1/2 years old . She don't go outside like she use too. Its had gotten to were I have to put newspaper down for her. her sleep pattern is sleeping all day and she barks late at night then she wants to go outside but that's when she wants too. She also has dry eyes which the vet gives her eyes meds and has me washing her eyes and said to use Gen_Teal . but , she still gets that eye mucus , I hope she's not losing her eye sight , she faces the walls and barks, and at times she seems be also okay , its hard at times for me because I just don't know what to do , I refuse to put her down and she eats just fine.

has to be a tough situation to be in :(

Most Reactions

Members online