Help Needed! Bulldog Losing Hair and Black Scaly Circles Forming***Advice Needed***

OOTWBULLDOGS

May 27, 2013
Winchester, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey Rose
Good afternoon, My name is Joseph and my family has an 8 month old EB who has recently begin losing hair in patches and has raised scaly black circles forming where the hair loss is experienced. I have done a little research and have been enlightened to the Seasonal Flank Alopecia but that seems to be more widespread than this issue. I have attached some pictures and am praying that some more seasoned EB owners will recognize this ailment and can point us in the right direction for resolution. Thanks in advance for all input and May God Bless your family all-ways. IMAG0174.jpgIMAG0173.jpgIMAG0172.jpgIMAG0130.jpg IMAG0175.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a couple members that are real good with skin issues.... due to the black area being raise, i am thinking it MIGHT be a form of mange

OP
OOTWBULLDOGS

OOTWBULLDOGS

May 27, 2013
Winchester, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey Rose
Thank you very much for the assistance. Looking forward to the replies and finding a resolution ASAP. God Bless.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
SFA (Season Flank Alopecia) is thinking of the hair, and in our case you see black skin underneath the thinking hair. From the pictures you took, it doesnt look like SFA to me, as with Gizmo, its LARGE areas of hair, it can be on both sides, and she thins right along the rib cage in a pretty distinctive pattern. I would definitely get to the vet to rule out Mange (let them do a skin scraping) take a look at my Flickr pictures of Gizmo, and you will see her SFA Patterns (some are at her absolute worse) www.flickr.com/rettinger

If its not mange, they will suggest a thyroid tests (blood test) but this is to rule OUT things, not diagnose SFA

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yeast_infection_s1.jpg
here's a picture of a yeast problem. It's inside the body and shows on the outside of the body, through skin, ears and feet. I notice you are using a plastic food/water dish, that's not the best thing to do for a bulldog. Set up stainless steel bowls for water and food. Next try giving a grain free diet and potato free if possible, add some Apple cider vinegar with water as solution to cleaning the ears and skin areas. Next give your bully a dollop of yogurt every day. This should improve your bully's ears, feet and skin if it is indeed a yeast problem, give it a month to work, if you don't see any improvement, or it worsens you should call your vet. please keep us posted

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've had something like this on my younger bully, Truman. Does your bully do any itching or licking on these spots? It looks like it's time for a trip to the vet because it looks like a skin infection. Truman had a skin infection that looked very similar to this one and we needed a topical antibiotic/antifungal to clear it up. That said, thinking about the root cause is also important because your bully might be allergic to something in his food or environment.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh, and the vet told me that Truman's skin condition, that looked very similar to this was called "pyoderma." So you might want to mention that.

I don't think it's mange...I say that because I've had THREE bullies with mange and it always manifested itself as red spots, not black.

OP
OOTWBULLDOGS

OOTWBULLDOGS

May 27, 2013
Winchester, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey Rose
No itching, she just seemed to be in a bit of discomfort while she was walking around. I have taken the advice of Sherry and switched her food/water bowls to all stainless steel. Switched her food to Solid Gold Sun Dancer which is grain and gluten free and began administering a dollop of Greek Yogurt each morning as well as applying Olive Oil and Honey directly on the location and it is working wonderfully. The black spot is beginning to be less scaly and raised and her energy has picked up immensely. Praying that it is only the yeast problem Sherry has enlightened us too and we are taking it day by day with constant prayer and vigilance in administering the holistic treatment. I always prefer to save the chemical and medical options as an absolute last resort and it seems that this case is being handled with some TLC and focus in the right area. Thank you all for the suggestions and insight and we will keep you updated on her progress throughout the coming weeks. May God Bless All-Ways.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Your pictures look like how the flank alopecia started for Petunia now it looks like this:
Lissy flank view.jpg

Started when she was a little over 2 years old.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
RaRett, had to look at some of your other pics....AWESOMENESS!

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi Joseph.
I had the same problem with coco for months !!! Finally in jan we found out what it was. It was mange it didn't show up on a skin scrap and was only showing after a biopsy!! needed 5 special baths we call them sheep dips. She has been right as rain since :)

OP
OOTWBULLDOGS

OOTWBULLDOGS

May 27, 2013
Winchester, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey Rose
Good morning EB friends. We have switched her diet to Sundancer from Solid Golf and changed her treats to all meat and no fillers as well as using some holistic methods of cleansing and dressing the area. The area has become less scaly and raised and some of her color is returning. If we see it spike back up again we will take her to the vet for a skin scraping and biopsy but her energy has returned and we are hoping to avoid having to use any chemical dips or baths God willing. Thank you all for the wonderful insight and methods of treatment. Praying we all avoid these same occurrences in our EB in the future. God Bless All-ways.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Good morning EB friends. We have switched her diet to Sundancer from Solid Golf and changed her treats to all meat and no fillers as well as using some holistic methods of cleansing and dressing the area. The area has become less scaly and raised and some of her color is returning. If we see it spike back up again we will take her to the vet for a skin scraping and biopsy but her energy has returned and we are hoping to avoid having to use any chemical dips or baths God willing. Thank you all for the wonderful insight and methods of treatment. Praying we all avoid these same occurrences in our EB in the future. God Bless All-ways.

SO glad changing her food is helping! :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.