General Question nuetering question

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello I am making an appointment to have my 13 month old male ebd nuetered. I was wondering, is there any cons to this? and how long will he have to wear one of those e collars? The Vet I use- use's propranol then iso gas and I think this what I have heard is best for ebd's I am not that concerned as far as loosing him- I believe this vet has state of the art medical equiptment ect I am just wondering if there is any cons to nuetering an ebd at his age. Thanks everyone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
none that i can think of..... my boys were both done at around 8 months of age

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
No matter the age of neutering/spaying you've made a big step in the health of your animal. You've established that you're vet is prepared and has the necessary tools to conduct the procedure efficiently considering the breed challenges. As for the e-collar, they say about a week. Here's a trick I learned, that if you don't want the bother of an e-collary you can get a Onesie out the baby section and put it on your dog. It will help the dog stop licking the area. To find one big enough for a 50 pound dog will be the trick. But It's worked. :)

Try not to worry about this procedure, try to limit the amount of gray hairs you get.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Your dog is a good age for neutering. I've had 2 bullies neutered. Neither was given an e collar. EBs can't generally bend well enough to reach the incision area and lick it. LOL

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
the only con for me, not really Chunk, was that he was up and running the day after....while I panicked about him ripping the stiches! His vet sent him home with pain meds... but perhaps a tranq would have been a wiser choice! ;)

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. He is going on Monday at 8am. She did tell me she will oxegenize? him somehow first and that they def take extra precautions with english bulldogs.. I am going to wait to see if he needs he pallet done later as well as the nares in his nose. I didn't want to put him thru too much trauma all at once. Appreciate it everyone. Thanks again

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good for you and Buddy. Yes..Iso is the very best gas for Bully's. It's very nerve wracking for all of us...most Bully's don't need to wear a cone for neutering...because they just can't reach! :)

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Although you may not want to have additional surgeries done while he's under this time I suggest you have the doctor evaluate the need for said proceedure. He'll be able to see what's going on while the dog is under way better than while he's mobile. Also, I would suggest having his hips x-rayed while he's under. This way you can have an idea of if there are any potential issues for the future and start taking action to minimize the problems wonkey bulldog joints can cause. My vet charged less that 100 bucks to add the xrays to what was going on.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Great I will ask about the X rays. I am a bit nervous. if anything happened to Buddy I would be extremely upset. I mean not just the cost of a bulldog and all the past vet bills but the bonding and time I have put in with him.. My neighbor has a bulldog. female. She is 1 and a half years old and only 35 pounds.. She plays with Buddy when we meet outdoors at the condos we live in. Poor things thou.. The owner is never home except at night and goes off to spain for a week. One of the first things I read before making a decision to get a bulldog was they crave human attention and this is sooo true with Buddy. He follows me everyone.. Wants to run to my truck each time we are outdoors because we always take him for rides in the truck he LOVES it.. Anyways sorry to ramble and Thanks everyone

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Great work neutering!

My bullies (all male) did fine during their neuter and none needed a collar. There was some "spinning" afterward with one of my bullies who was neutered a bit later (9 months) as he knew he was missing something! :) But other than that, everything was very straight forward. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.