Hives? But she's not itchy- Please help

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Hey ya'll.
Yesterday around 6pm I gave Momo 50mg of Benadryl, hoping that 1 dose would fix this problem. Unlike me when I'm given Benadryl, she stayed us and bounced around until bedtime. She was looking a little better, the swelling of the hives was going down. Today however, its gotten a bit worse.

I just gave her another dose of benadryl and this time I'll give it to her TID. She is having no problems breathing, theres just a tiny bit on her face, mostly on there belly, chest and back legs. She isn't itchy, either, which is why I'm totally perplexed.

I usually bag the grass when I cut it but about 2ce a summer I mulch it. Yesterday was one of those mulch days. She has never had hives since we got her at 1 1/2 years old, she's now 5. (p.s. you might say, well, let her do her business in the front yard...I did the front yard the same way)

Pictures from yesterday pre medicine:

Today pre medicine (right after I took her outside):

Attachments

• IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 123

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... OUCH! if the Benedryl is having a hyper effect and no results... it might be she needs a cortisone shot. Do you have any cortisone you can put on her to see if that helps?

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Great advise and idea. I honestly don't know what cortisone is... you know what I mean? Like meds that have different names. Let me look it up and I'll get back to you if it helps.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yikes. I hope she looks better now. The problem with hives is that while they look horrible on the outside they can be present on the INSIDE as well; blocking breathing or who knows what all -- as you know. That's the scary part of hives.

P7200007.jpgP7200004.jpg

This was Bea's worst ever case of hives. Still have NO idea what it was specifically. It happened when we were on an outing, far from home - which also freaked me out even more. Benedryl is kept on hand at all times here. Bo must take it regularly since he seems to be profoundly allergic to grass.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Yep, that's pretty bad! Do you remember how many times you had to give Bea the medicine before it started to clear up? And yes, that was the first thing in my mind, Monitor her breathing. I was cooking dinner last night and made sure Linnet's eyes were on Momo to make sure she was breathing at all times. I also checked her breathing several times last night. She (knock on wood) has had no trouble in that department. She's laying on the floor at my feet, sleeping.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor baby...when Brutus had his hive episode, it was so scary so I know
you are >HUGS< his got progressively worse too, bigger & more for 3-4
days despite Benedryl, afterwards smaller & less hives but still around
another 3-4 days. I will be praying that the meds work AND the cause is
found asap.

How can Momo look so danged cute during this?

I know they can suddenly develop allergies/sensitivities where none existed
before, hives are hateful, scary & dangerous, hate that this is happening!!!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Some time it may take 24 to 48 hours for benedryl to get through there whole system. Prednisone is what my vet usually gives my fur kids if the benedryl doesnt help. Bulldogs are so weird when it comes to allergy reactions you may never figure out what caused it :( . If they itch real bad you can try dabbing the spots especially if it is some place they cant scratch with a littl alcohol it will take the itch out or put a little benedryl cream on the ichy spots. As long as they dont appear to have breathing issue or itch so bad that the hurt themselves I just keep giving the benedryl for several days till the hives go away :(

cccavet

Aug 2, 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Mollie and Harley AKA Fat Girl #1 and Fat Girl # 2
watch her closely... I had to rush Mollie to the vet Friday.... she had hives and her eyes were swollen... gave her bendryl.... by the time I had gotten her to the vet (45 mins later)... she was going into shock...... had to give her steroids intravenously......vet sent me home with oral steroid daily and was told to give benedryl every 8 hours though Monday and instructed to watch her closely.... she's still not right.... and still do not know what caused/is causing this...........

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=5608]cccavet[/MENTION] I'm sorry to hear about what happened with Mollie but so glad ya'll were able to act so quickly to help her! Believe me, we were watching her breathing like a hawk.
I'm happy to report that after a solid day of Benadryl and cortisone lotion on her stomach and chest she's doing better. Thanks for all the thoughts and advise!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
watch her closely... I had to rush Mollie to the vet Friday.... she had hives and her eyes were swollen... gave her bendryl.... by the time I had gotten her to the vet (45 mins later)... she was going into shock...... had to give her steroids intravenously......vet sent me home with oral steroid daily and was told to give benedryl every 8 hours though Monday and instructed to watch her closely.... she's still not right.... and still do not know what caused/is causing this...........

Please keep us posted on this and let us know if you ever find out what the agent was that caused this reaction in your sweet Mollie. I'm glad she's doing better. That must have been just so frightening for you! (and Mollie, I'm sure)

cccavet

Aug 2, 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Mollie and Harley AKA Fat Girl #1 and Fat Girl # 2
yes very scary!! My vet gave me his personal cell Friday "just in case" and unfortunately, I had to call him... Mollie began swelling again yesterday morning....... still not sure what the cause.... vet seems to think some sort of bite/sting..... and of course this all has to happen on a holiday weekend!!!!anyway... doubled the steroid and 2 benedryl around the clock every 8 hours and bring her in first thing tomorrow morning... fingers crossed!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Both of my boys have had this, but I have to admit that this looks a bit worse. In both cases it just came and after about two days it was gone. We never found out what caused it. I used Cortisone too, that is the working ingredient and it comes with a lot of differend names.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Benadryl and cortisone cream rub downs (as well as some Stolli for my nerves) and she's much better! I still have no confirmation as to what it was, but I have my suspicions as to the grass. Thanks everyone for the advise and help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Benadryl and cortisone cream rub downs (as well as some Stolli for my nerves) and she's much better! I still have no confirmation as to what it was, but I have my suspicions as to the grass. Thanks everyone for the advise and help!

So glad she is doing better! As others have shared... i had this twice with Banks and never found out what caused it

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh thats good to hear. you can also give them a bath to help wash the irritating agent away if its something they came in contact with. im glad she is better. sarah used to get hives often though not that bad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online