General Question Surgery for long palate...is it necessary?

Kprice

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Ollie is having surgery on his cherry eye next week as well has being neutered. The doctor recommended while he's under anesthesia, we should go ahead and fix his elongated palate. She said this will help him a little more in the summer time as far as heat stroke and just in general with breathing. He does not show any signs of difficulty in breathing....so I'm wondering if this is really necessary. Any thoughts? I feel bad enough that he is getting two things done and adding a 3rd. Everything will be done with laser accept the eye.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can usually tell if they have an elongated palate, as they sometimes have problems swallowing their food, they snore loudly and they have trouble breathing when they are playing or excited, which means they pant for a long time after they get excited or hot from play, or you can hear a slight snoring sound. If he does not have any of these signs then he may be OK, but I'd let another bully vet look at him, for a second opinion.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You should get a second opinion if you are unsure of the need.

My boy, Nitschke had it done at the age of 3 and yes, he needed it. He needed palate reduction and nares widened. He had very bad sleep apnea and would stop breathing. also, how old is Ollie?
My vet is also about to do this procedure on our Frenchie, Chelios, and he would not even think about doing this procedure until after the age of 2 yrs. old, because of the potential of the palate growing back.
The procedure is necessary for some, but not all.... my girl, Banks is 7.5 yrs old and never had any issues.

The procedure does help them with breathing but it does not stop the snoring and I am not sure about the heat stroke piece as I never heard that before.

OP
K

Kprice

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Ollie will be 2 years old in July. He does snore pretty loud at night and seems to choke on food easily. He doesn't play for a long time...he gets exhausted pretty quick. This is my first bully so I don't know how much energy bully's are suppose to have. When he does play hard he ends up throwing up whatever he ate that morning or evening. The only reason why the vet noticed the palate was because she had to put him under anesthesia to stitch up his eye that he cut it open a few months ago. I just hate to do something that might not be necessary or more stress for a speedy recovery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ollie will be 2 years old in July. He does snore pretty loud at night and seems to choke on food easily. He doesn't play for a long time...he gets exhausted pretty quick. This is my first bully so I don't know how much energy bully's are suppose to have. When he does play hard he ends up throwing up whatever he ate that morning or evening. The only reason why the vet noticed the palate was because she had to put him under anesthesia to stitch up his eye that he cut it open a few months ago. I just hate to do something that might not be necessary or more stress for a speedy recovery.

Based on everything you just said.... sounds like he is definitely a candidate and at the right age.

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
My Stoagie just got his palate surgery done this past Tuesday and already I can tell a tremendous amount of difference. He sleeps way better, doesnt feel the need to flip over onto his back to sleep like he used to in order to breathe comfortably. I thought it was adorable and just how he liked to sleep...but I realized it was so his elongated palate would be laid down and not in the way of him breathing while asleep. He now is always on his belly or his side. I feel like if the vet believes your baby needs it, then go for it. It will in the long run help them live healthier lives because they can exercise more due to being able to breathe better which means...healthy dog...longer life[: Just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.