Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Just want to share this article here about Arthritis

Itā€™s no wonder why canine arthritis is a hot topic in canine health. Osteoarthritis (arthritis) affects 20% of adult dogs, and for dogs in the advanced ages of 7+, arthritis affects 40% of dogs. We wondered how such high ratios of dogs with arthritis could be possible. Other than genetics, many of the contributors towards canine arthritis are based in diet and lifestyleā€”so with that in mindā€”the modern dog with canine arthritis can be helped through diet and lifestyle.

Canine Arthritis: 5 Point Plan
1. Protect the Joints
Simply, you can protect your dogā€™s joints by feeding the joint tissue through supplementation of nutraceuticals that contain Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate.Glucosamine/Chondroitin actually works to rebuild cartilage and restore synovial fluid in your dogā€™s body. In medical terms, glucosamine/chondroitin are the precursors to the formation of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), and this is a significant area to address in joint care when it comes to canine arthritis.
2. Reduce Pain and Inflammation
When the joint tissue of your dog is worn and damaged (the arthriticcondition), it can result in a lot of pain and inflammation for your dog. The most powerful and natural nutrients you can provide your dog is omega-3fatty acids (EPA and DHA), and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane).
Ā· Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation by helping to produce hormone-like substances known as eicosonoids, which reduce inflammatory compounds in the body.
Ā· MSM is an organic form of sulfur which assists in natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities in the body. The benefits of MSM are vast, and with continued use, MSM very effective in improving joint and tissue health and reducing the pain that comes with inflammation.
There are certain vitamins, minerals, herbs, enzymes as well that can reduce inflammation and or pain, such as high doses of vitamin C, flavonoids, bromelain, and hops. But EPA-DHA (from fish oil), and MSM are the most effective nutrients for addressing joint pain and inflammation.
3. Monitor the Diet for Foods that Aggravate Arthritis
There are increased correlations between certain foods and arthritis in dogs. The strongest correlation seems to be the feeding of grains in dog food. Many have found, that by simply eliminating grains from their dogā€™s diet, the symptoms of canine arthritis are reduced almost completely. Other items to be aware of for elimination are plants from the nightshade family, eggplant, white potatoes (not sweet potatoes), peppers, and tomatoes.
4. Incorporate Exercise and Weight Control
Keeping excess weight off of the arthritic dog is an important component of the program. Extra weight significantly increases the burden and stress on dog joints. Itā€™s a vicious cycle because the heavier the dog gets, the harder it is to exercise your dog. So keep your dog lean by feeding a health-conscious diet, with appropriate portions and consistent feeding times, with moderate low-impact exercise, such as, walking or swimming.
5. Ensure Proper Bedding
Cold, damp, hard, sleeping quarters can worsen canine arthritis. Conversely, if you can keep your dog warm and cushioned from hard surfaces it can help reduce pain. Be sure to provide bedding that is warm, and that cushions against the floor. Indoor sleeping and blankets can do the trick, but some owners will even invest in orthopedic beds for their dogs.
Follow these five points and your dog will be equipped in the fight againstcanine arthritis and will have improved quality of life.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks Sherry. Didn't know about the omega-3s. Will try to remember to include the fish oil everyday from now on. And if there's a good reason to get a pool, it's to help Punks! lol. Need to keep it gated of course.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My pleasure , I like to research whenever I can, of course you have to sort out what's helpful and what isn't . Lots of questions come up every day, especially with this breed. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:2thumbs: I'm grateful and happy to say I'm doing all those things for creaky little Bea already. (And Bo - but he's not creaky)

Incidentally, the Regenex for dogs has WORKED WONDERS for our Little Bea. I took her to work with me on Wednesday and my work mate summed it up perfectly. She said, "OHMYGOD BEA - YOU ARE A NEW DOG!" I notice a difference, but she only sees Bea periodically and she was bamboozled with the improvement in her movement. You could almost say "agility"; a word that's never been attributed to Bea or her movements around the house!

*muah* [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] THANK YOU.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:2thumbs: I'm grateful and happy to say I'm doing all those things for creaky little Bea already. (And Bo - but he's not creaky)

Incidentally, the Regenex for dogs has WORKED WONDERS for our Little Bea. I took her to work with me on Wednesday and my work mate summed it up perfectly. She said, "OHMYGOD BEA - YOU ARE A NEW DOG!" I notice a difference, but she only sees Bea periodically and she was bamboozled with the improvement in her movement. You could almost say "agility"; a word that's never been attributed to Bea or her movements around the house!

*muah* @Sherry THANK YOU.

:clap2: If you could see the smile on my face right now. I'm so happy for you and Bea, I'm telling ya, never seen anything like it. I searched for a long time to find the right potency , and I use the Regenex for horses, just in a dose with an eye dropper. 32 oz last me a long time. worth every penny to see them take off flying when they want to.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Great stuff Sherry! This really helps me make sure I am doing everything I can to ensure Linus is a happy and mobile senior bully!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:clap2: If you could see the smile on my face right now. I'm so happy for you and Bea, I'm telling ya, never seen anything like it. I searched for a long time to find the right potency , and I use the Regenex for horses, just in a dose with an eye dropper. 32 oz last me a long time. worth every penny to see them take off flying when they want to.

My sister came over yesterday -- RARE occurrence -- she's not seen the dogs since Xmas. She too was wowed by Bea's deft and agile wiggles to get pets and scratches. As Bea sat between her legs and squirmed, twirled and held that paw up for shakes, she marveled, "Ohmygod Bea; what's happened to YOU?" Hee hee. Where I see a big difference is when she gets up out of her (orthopedic) bed in the morning to go outside. There's a LOT less of her "crotchety old lady style movements" to get going up and out of her crate and to the door. I only wished I'd started her sooner on this stuff. My sister's boxer moves like a gazelle; but she's getting on in age so she plans on getting some for her pup too.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
thanks for the info, Sherry! Oliver was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia and mild luxating patella (on opposite back legs) a few months ago but my vet didn't recommend any surgical intervention at this point, just controlling the pain and inflammation. He's a loading dose of myrstin right now and in a couple of weeks go down to maintenance. I've noticed a little difference but they say it can take a couple of months to really notice a difference. I'm also planning on getting him in our pool for swim therapy more often this summer. He's not a big fan of the big pool, would rather splash and sit in the puppy pool but he's gonna have to swim for awhile before I let him out to play. I might have to look into the regenex. Where do you get it from?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
How often do you give it to them, IE: how long does a bottle last. I'm seeing it online that says 192 doses. We are considering starting Amy on something very soon. Warding off arthritis is the number two thing (number one is keeping her trim) we are going for when it comes to trying to avoid hip surgery if it is possible. And of course HRH would have to get some too.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks for the info, Sherry! Oliver was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia and mild luxating patella (on opposite back legs) a few months ago but my vet didn't recommend any surgical intervention at this point, just controlling the pain and inflammation. He's a loading dose of myrstin right now and in a couple of weeks go down to maintenance. I've noticed a little difference but they say it can take a couple of months to really notice a difference. I'm also planning on getting him in our pool for swim therapy more often this summer. He's not a big fan of the big pool, would rather splash and sit in the puppy pool but he's gonna have to swim for awhile before I let him out to play. I might have to look into the regenex. Where do you get it from?

I'll send you the link via PM I order online

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How often do you give it to them, IE: how long does a bottle last. I'm seeing it online that says 192 doses. We are considering starting Amy on something very soon. Warding off arthritis is the number two thing (number one is keeping her trim) we are going for when it comes to trying to avoid hip surgery if it is possible. And of course HRH would have to get some too.

I give my crew one dose a day on their food. with an eye dropper, like I said I use the horse formula since I have so many I get about 6 months out of a 32 oz bottle. 8 drops per dog, once a day. Mine weigh between 50 and 100 lbs. it doesn't have a taste and I keep it refrigerated
I'm not sure what the dose is for the dog formula, my vet ok'd me giving the horse strength. and it's ok if you miss a day since it takes a while to get into the joints a missed dose is fine .
You would do well using the dog formula

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.