Vomiting + diarrhea = trip to vet!

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
We had a real health scare with Mia the other night! She was throwing up all night - and it smelled like diarrhea. Plus she was straining to go - it was diarrhrea/mucusy with a little blood! She was shivering and had a fever. She kept throwing up and by early morning it was bile. I took her to the vet and they kept her for the day - got fluids into her and gave her something for anti-vomiting.
She was tested her for Parvo - thank God it came back negative :pray:! X-rayed her - there was no blockaged found, but her intestines looked puffy. She was very lethargic and depressed too :( The vet said it was gastro inflammation (or something more technical perhaps?). Still not really sure what caused it. She sent us home with a high energy, soft food (for intestinal issues - Royal Canin of course - as that's the only food my Vet recommends! :blink: )to feed her small portions, which is supposed to help her intestines heal - (until the diarrhea is gone and her stool is formed).
I am happy to say she has improved within 24 hours and after about 2 days is back to herself :clap2:

Now - the vet said dogs should not be fed bones - ever! She loves her bones, and the chew toys just do not keep her interest long enough. What do your vets say about bones?

PS - I will definitly be getting pet insurance. Thank heavens I had a 6 week complimentary trial from her inital vaccination appointment!

Love my baby girl :)
20130520_135902_resized.jpg

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I buy elk antlers, I have 5 bully's and these things are tough and all natural, I'm going to PM you the site that I use.

Bossy Boots

Feb 5, 2012
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
People have told me both about bones.Cooked is bad because it could cause doggie to choke on.And rare is bad because its fresh.Of blood and Bacteria.But okay if you boil it.So really I'm not sure? I feel like its best not to give any kind of Bone,just in case!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
raw bones are fine, raw feeders need bone in the diet. You must be careful of choking though

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Keep in mind if she has a soft tissue blockage, like a sock or some type of fabric, it will not show up on a standard xray that does not include a contrast agent. We went through a similar issue with Bacon and that was the problem, eventually he passed it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online