Demodex mange.

May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Hi there!
Last month, bolota was losing his hairs in a weird way, i mean, he was losing hairs only in a single point (near chest).
After some tests, the vet said he got demodex.
We did the treatment, and now he is ok, but the vet advice us to neuter (not sure if this is the correct word in english) him, because this mange its like herpes, it will come stronger when he got the hormones peaks.
Well, I never really heard about that, and to be honest, i'll neuter him in case of last option, i dont rlly wanna do that.
I've got two questions.
1) I read something saying that this could be caused by use of cortisone, he was sting by a bee, and almost died, and then the vet gave him one or two cortisones shots, could this hair loss been caused by this shots (weak immune system)?
2) This is passed from mother to puppy, but the father can also transmit it? I mean, if one day he have puppies, will they have this mange becuse of bolota?

Thankz!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ah crap... I have no experience with this, but there are a few here that do... they will be along

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
From what I understand, most dogs have the demodex mites, but when their immune systems are attacked, the mites get out of control and cause problems. Aubie had demodex after her first heat and they told us that it was probably due to her immune system after her first heat. She had her second heat recently and has had no problems.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It does come from a weakened immune system. I will send you a link to check out

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I believe the puppies fathers carry their genes more than the moms. Some may dispute this but good breeders know this to be true.

OP
Stephan Gomes Higuti
May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Thankz, i was just wondering if neutering really worth, because bolota is gonna make it next Wednesday, and i was a little confused.
Now I see that neutering will bring much more benefits than i tought, and i'm felling quite better.
Sherry, i have no intention to breed him, specially after your information, it was kind a matter of "bolota become less male", yes, I know, dumb tought.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback! You guys are helping me so much, since here in Brazil we dont have such a big community for bulldogs owners.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh boy, stung by a bee is bad enough. Interesting that the cortisone shot could be the cause of weakened immune system to cause the demodex mange.

Stephan, I'm going to move this over to the health section now. Should get more responses and will help others when they do a search :).

Keep us posted. I'm curious on the shot connection.

OP
Stephan Gomes Higuti
May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Thanks Jeannie. Sorry for posting on the wrong place.
Well, im not sure if there is a connection between those two events(cortisone, weak immune system), i read an article where was saying that this could happen by a continuous use of courtisone, but bolota was 4 months old when this happened, tought 2shots may be enough for weaking his immune system.

Enviado de meu Galaxy Nexus usando o Tapatalk 2

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh gosh no worries at all....don't even give it a second thought. :up: Heck I've even moved my own posts before, lol.

After Sally had an adverse reaction to her rabies shot last week, stuff like this has me curious to the connections of the side effects. She's our 7 year old senior we just rescued. Keep us updated.

It's so wonderful to see other's from around the world. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:2thumbs: Indeed [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] I too love meeting peeps from all around the world. Bully's have become so popular here in the states that I forget that many countries are without info on the breed

OP
Stephan Gomes Higuti
May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Lol, Thanks. You guys are making me feel really confortable here.
The english bulldog breed is growing fast in brazil, i believe soon we should have a good and big online community here as well.
Anyway, bolota will get neutered next wed, thu is gonna be bank Holiday, so ill not work from weds night to monday :D and ill be able to watch his recovery, hope everything goes well.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol, Thanks. You guys are making me feel really confortable here.
The english bulldog breed is growing fast in brazil, i believe soon we should have a good and big online community here as well.
Anyway, bolota will get neutered next wed, thu is gonna be bank Holiday, so ill not work from weds night to monday :D and ill be able to watch his recovery, hope everything goes well.

We hope so too, these bully's have a way of stealing our hearts

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.