Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=958]Alpha[/MENTION] I think it is okay as long as you make sure you dry him off well, especially in the wrinkled areas. water trapped in wrinkles will produce yeast.

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]: he's skin seem ok. If I don't rinse him, u will feel like greasy (with dirt) on ur hand when u pet him. That's why I have to rinse him regularly. Sometimes he stinks too even I just bathe him a day before. Is that supposedly normal?

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
@bullmama: thank u. Yup, I dry him off well particularly on those part (face folds, tails & paws).

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]: yes, I'll post some pictures of my baby. I'm using Internet through my iPhone right now. Thanks for advice ;)

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I give my bullies a bath every weekend. I use baby shampoo .....Tea tree oil shampoo if their skin is dry. Selsum Blue is great for their dry flaky skin, but if they are white it can cause a "orangish" tint to their hair.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]: he's skin seem ok. If I don't rinse him, u will feel like greasy (with dirt) on ur hand when u pet him. That's why I have to rinse him regularly. Sometimes he stinks too even I just bathe him a day before. Is that supposedly normal?

Not sure about him smelling if you washed him the day before. Maybe it depends on what you use for shampoo? I use baby shampoo with human pantene conditioner and they smell like the pantene for days, which is why I love it so much. Also depends on if your bully is outside a lot or what I am sure. My boys are inside 99% of the time unless sunbathing or something so they stay clean for the most part. My boys also dont get that greasy feeling unless they have gone a month or so without a bath.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
OMG!!! you =might use this if you were trying to sluff off old skin. But ANY ADULT SHAMPOO will dry out your dogs skin badly -let alone this dandruff shampoo.
according to my accredited Vet, you can use baby shampoo(the PH balance is the same as dogs shampoo)
or you can use EARTH BATH FOR DOGS, IT IS NOT SOAP AT ALL, BUT CLEANS 100 % CLEAN AND SAFE TO USE DAILY.
and no you do NOT want to bath as little as possible with English Bulldogs, that is any other breed--
bulldogs need to be CLEAN to keep bacteria off the skin and out of the folds of skin. the vet doesn't know bulldogs--find a new one please--ALL THINGS ABOUT BULLDOGS(ENGLISH AND FRENCH) are differant than any other breed, from xrays to daily needs. I think that any more often than once a week may be a little to much, but , those who have been here a while know -that when they go out and get muddy,or full of sand, they are going to get more water than once a week. or if your dog has growing allergies, they will need those feet dipped in water each time they come in . IT IS THE TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER THAT CAUSES SKIN TO DRY OUT the hotter the worse it is for your skin.
my question is why is the vet having you use medicated shampoo? if it is for a fungal infection, once he is on antibiotics, you can rinse him off all over thoroughly with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water,try white. this can be squirted in the ears .tail area,face folds(with a cloth or paper towel) twice a week and they will never have a yeast infection(fungal)again.
let me know! most of us at the beginning have bought shampoo by the gallons @ $100.00 a pop. now we know how to prevent this in the first place. however having a good shampoo for bacterial infections is a great idea. just for emergencies. that Gallon lasted myself and my daughter and our 8 to 10 bulldogs almost a year.so a little goes a long way.
keep in touch, you can always call me.

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
Is it really safe to use human hair conditioner on bullies? I've watched one video from YouTube about grooming the bully. Groomer said that, it's important to put conditioner on our bullies bcuz it helps to lock the moisture in their skin/fur. He also mentioned, we can use either the rinse or leave-on conditioner. Any ideas guys? I kinda wanna try the Pantene conditioner & also the johnson's baby shampoo...

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
baby shampoo is not natural, BUT it is safe to use freguently!!! it is the same PH balance as any dog shampoo. But any adult dandruff shampoo is way to harsh to ever use . the underlying reason to the problem needs to be found, not just covered up.I highly recommend EARTH BATH it is not soap-- but will ;eave your dog clean, I mix mango tango, orange peel,oatmeal,and aloe vera, it will then be good for soothing the skin, and fleas,and smell great. and is good for a week between baths.at least sometimes two.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
try Grizzly salmon oil to the daily diet, it will stop the dry skin, help a lot with shedding, boost the immune system,and provide omega 3 and 6 . Grizzly brand is wild caught Alaskan Salmon. over time the shampoo will dry out your hair as well as the dogs , much more quickly. it may clean well but at what cost.?

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I would ask what food you are feeding? that sounds as if the food is not right for a Bulldog. I wont go into it , but it is indicative to what the meat content is . please try Fromm, or natures variety,or great4 life. and yes rinse well. bulldogs must have clean skin to be able to stay cool they do not cool off by panting. so skin pores being kept clean and open at all times is a must. that is why I would never put a conditioner on the skin, and not rinse off well.

Most Reactions