Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuetering. Pallet and Nose

Wrinkle Wiper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Default Nuetering. Pallet and Nose

Hello everyone. I am about to get my 1 year old male ebd nuetered. I mentioned to the vet that I heard some people do their pallet if needed at the same time and also their nose's nairred I think what it is called to open them slightly... My dog shows not symptoms of neediing his pallet done nor his nose but thought this might be good to do it all at once.. They sent me an estimite which was like $1600.00 but also if they do all these things at once they will need to keep him overnight and now I am double thinking it... I do not want anyone to do any unesessary surgurys on Buddy and surely am concerned that the vet might do this when he really might not need it. Sorry about the spelling I am in a hurry and I don't know how to use the spell checker here.. Thank you and any advice will be appreciated.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nuetering. Pallet and Nose

Okay, your dog shows no symptoms of needing pallet or nose surgery, has Buddy's vet said that he would benefit from them? If not, why have them done? Just get him neutered. 2 of my 6 Bulldogs had pallet reduction surgery. Laser surgery is much easier on the dogs.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Definitely seek a second opinion is my advice, make sure it's necessary. An annual visit is a good excuse, with concerns of neutering him, but then as he's doing the evaluation ask how everything else looks, after getting his opinion, then you may or may not want to share the advice of your first vet. Anasthetic and bully's aren't the most ideal friend. I used a Vet in Brevard County around Melbourne, but I'm thinking that's a bit far for you to travel to get a second opinion, but I can get you his number in case.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hero4u View Post
    Hello everyone. I am about to get my 1 year old male ebd nuetered. I mentioned to the vet that I heard some people do their pallet if needed at the same time and also their nose's nairred I think what it is called to open them slightly... My dog shows not symptoms of neediing his pallet done nor his nose but thought this might be good to do it all at once.. They sent me an estimite which was like $1600.00 but also if they do all these things at once they will need to keep him overnight and now I am double thinking it... I do not want anyone to do any unesessary surgurys on Buddy and surely am concerned that the vet might do this when he really might not need it. Sorry about the spelling I am in a hurry and I don't know how to use the spell checker here.. Thank you and any advice will be appreciated.
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...d.php?p=337944

hello, Lola is my bully and she just had this done.. please read my last entry on this thread which will give you good indications on whether your bully needs palate surgery. your vet won't know for sure until your dog is anesthetized. our total for palate, nose nares and tooth extraction was $3700. we have pet insurance.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I agree, and let a good bully vet look at him and if he doesn't need the palate or nares done then why do it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Wrinkle Wiper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. after giving this considerable thought I do not think I want Buddy going thru that much trauma at once, I think the best thing to do is let them nueter him and ask them to check and see how his pallet looks as well as his nose. Appreciate the input. Thank you

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Good decision. If both are needed they can be done at the same time later. Something else you can have done while being neutered is have his hips x-rayed. that shouldn't be too costly and will give you a heads up about their condition so you'll know if preventive measures need to be taken to avoid or delay surgery later. It's best to do those x-rays while they are under and not wiggling around.

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Agree....it sounds like alot at one time..........another thought.....does anyone ever feel that due to the problems that bullies can have with many things that the veterinarians at times use this to recommend and even do unneeded surgeries?
    Last edited by FORDE'SMOM; 05-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

I agree, why have it done if not necessary. Have him neutered and in the event he needs pallet surgery later then you can do it at that time.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

it's also best to wait until bullies are 2 years old to do the palate surgery in case they are still growing. You definitely do not want to do this twice.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hero4u View Post
    Thanks everyone. after giving this considerable thought I do not think I want Buddy going thru that much trauma at once, I think the best thing to do is let them nueter him and ask them to check and see how his pallet looks as well as his nose. Appreciate the input. Thank you
    Perfect decision! My boy needed all that done and my vet would not even think about it till he was 2 yrs old or more. My Frenchie does need it too, and our vet said the samething to us...'Not going to consider it till he is more than 2 yrs old.... coincidently, we go tonight for an eval.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

So glad that you decided not to have it done!!! Not all bulldogs need palate surgery or their nares done. I would leave it and see if he needs to have it done when he's a little older!!!

- - - Updated - - -

So glad that you decided not to have it done!!! Not all bulldogs need palate surgery or their nares done. I would leave it and see if he needs to have it done when he's a little older!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads