Help Needed! Nuetering. Pallet and Nose

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I am about to get my 1 year old male ebd nuetered. I mentioned to the vet that I heard some people do their pallet if needed at the same time and also their nose's nairred I think what it is called to open them slightly... My dog shows not symptoms of neediing his pallet done nor his nose but thought this might be good to do it all at once.. They sent me an estimite which was like $1600.00 but also if they do all these things at once they will need to keep him overnight and now I am double thinking it... I do not want anyone to do any unesessary surgurys on Buddy and surely am concerned that the vet might do this when he really might not need it. Sorry about the spelling I am in a hurry and I don't know how to use the spell checker here.. Thank you and any advice will be appreciated.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Okay, your dog shows no symptoms of needing pallet or nose surgery, has Buddy's vet said that he would benefit from them? If not, why have them done? Just get him neutered. 2 of my 6 Bulldogs had pallet reduction surgery. Laser surgery is much easier on the dogs.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Definitely seek a second opinion is my advice, make sure it's necessary. An annual visit is a good excuse, with concerns of neutering him, but then as he's doing the evaluation ask how everything else looks, after getting his opinion, then you may or may not want to share the advice of your first vet. Anasthetic and bully's aren't the most ideal friend. I used a Vet in Brevard County around Melbourne, but I'm thinking that's a bit far for you to travel to get a second opinion, but I can get you his number in case.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hello everyone. I am about to get my 1 year old male ebd nuetered. I mentioned to the vet that I heard some people do their pallet if needed at the same time and also their nose's nairred I think what it is called to open them slightly... My dog shows not symptoms of neediing his pallet done nor his nose but thought this might be good to do it all at once.. They sent me an estimite which was like $1600.00 but also if they do all these things at once they will need to keep him overnight and now I am double thinking it... I do not want anyone to do any unesessary surgurys on Buddy and surely am concerned that the vet might do this when he really might not need it. Sorry about the spelling I am in a hurry and I don't know how to use the spell checker here.. Thank you and any advice will be appreciated.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=337944

hello, Lola is my bully and she just had this done.. please read my last entry on this thread which will give you good indications on whether your bully needs palate surgery. your vet won't know for sure until your dog is anesthetized. our total for palate, nose nares and tooth extraction was $3700. we have pet insurance. :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, and let a good bully vet look at him and if he doesn't need the palate or nares done then why do it.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. after giving this considerable thought I do not think I want Buddy going thru that much trauma at once, I think the best thing to do is let them nueter him and ask them to check and see how his pallet looks as well as his nose. Appreciate the input. Thank you

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Good decision. If both are needed they can be done at the same time later. Something else you can have done while being neutered is have his hips x-rayed. that shouldn't be too costly and will give you a heads up about their condition so you'll know if preventive measures need to be taken to avoid or delay surgery later. It's best to do those x-rays while they are under and not wiggling around.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Agree....it sounds like alot at one time..........another thought.....does anyone ever feel that due to the problems that bullies can have with many things that the veterinarians at times use this to recommend and even do unneeded surgeries?

Last edited:

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I agree, why have it done if not necessary. Have him neutered and in the event he needs pallet surgery later then you can do it at that time.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
it's also best to wait until bullies are 2 years old to do the palate surgery in case they are still growing. You definitely do not want to do this twice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone. after giving this considerable thought I do not think I want Buddy going thru that much trauma at once, I think the best thing to do is let them nueter him and ask them to check and see how his pallet looks as well as his nose. Appreciate the input. Thank you

Perfect decision! My boy needed all that done and my vet would not even think about it till he was 2 yrs old or more. My Frenchie does need it too, and our vet said the samething to us...'Not going to consider it till he is more than 2 yrs old.... coincidently, we go tonight for an eval.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So glad that you decided not to have it done!!! Not all bulldogs need palate surgery or their nares done. I would leave it and see if he needs to have it done when he's a little older!!!

- - - Updated - - -

So glad that you decided not to have it done!!! Not all bulldogs need palate surgery or their nares done. I would leave it and see if he needs to have it done when he's a little older!!!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
It makes me mad that so many vets try to set up a "package deal" for the neuter/nares/palate surgery. The first vet we went to tried to do the same thing. We sought a second opinion and they said he looked good and it wasn't necessary. Tonka will be 2 in July and maybe we will have our vet take a second look but he certainly shows no signs of labored breathing/extreme snoring. I'm glad you are waiting! :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It makes me mad that so many vets try to set up a "package deal" for the neuter/nares/palate surgery. The first vet we went to tried to do the same thing. We sought a second opinion and they said he looked good and it wasn't necessary. Tonka will be 2 in July and maybe we will have our vet take a second look but he certainly shows no signs of labored breathing/extreme snoring. I'm glad you are waiting! :)

I guess that's one way of knowing whether you have a good vet or a bad one!!!

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Want to hear something. Trupanion recommened a vet to me that did their "Rapid claims"" in which I only pay my co-pay and Trupanion pays the vet directly. Well I took Buddy to this vet to have his urinary track infection checked to see if the anti biotics worked and a fecal at the same time.. I told this vet.. He does NOT need a culture and brought all his medical history along with blood work ect and I walked out of this vets office with a $900.00 and something dollar Bill which I was responsible for $136.00 and I called Trupanion and asked if they had an investagations dept and told them that this vet basically raped me or should I say Trupanion. Knowing I had health insurance for Buddy.. Well They said he has been previously flagged for this type of thing and I also reported the man to the BBB which I was not seeking a claim but just wanted other people to be aware that this guy was a thief.. I value Trupanion and after my year was up they only went up $10 percent so instead of paying $100.00 a month I pay $110.00 thats the cap they have now, 10 percent a year. Thanks everyone

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.