Poo question

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Ok, I dont really know why Im asking, but its just something thats been on my mind.

Colossus normally :poo: 4x a day (twice in morning and twice in evening). The first of the cycle is normally fairly firm and easily scooped up. However, the second of the cycle is more like soft serve. I only feed him 2 - 2 1/2 cups of food (split 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening). I just want to make sure Im not missing something. Another thing -- the first of the cycle (firmer) is normally before he eats and the second (softer) is about an hour after he eats.

And THEN to top it off last night I caught him nibbling on his second of the cycle :poo:. This was after I put yogurt with his kibble. Has anyone had their EBs do this?

Just a concerned dad.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson's a two time pooper, has been since he was 8 weeks. Meaning that he always poops twice. His second poop has always been softer than the first. Wilson is a :poo: eater, loves the stuff. He ate the poo of old dog who passed, Ace, all the time. I always suspected it was because Ace was on a different kibble and that it was something in the food itself that he liked. When Ace passed, Wilson quit eating it so that confirmed it for me. Now we had Jack on a different food not too long ago (same brand as Wilson's just a different flavor) and Wilson started to eat Jack's poo. As soon as we put Jack on the same food as Wilson the problem was solved.

If you were to search Wilson's name here most articles that would come up would have something to do with him and poo! :ashamed:

Hope that helps a bit. As long as it's not runny and Colossus does have consistency in his poo he should be fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi my first question is which brand of kibble do you feed Collossus? I have two EB, a girl and a boy they are siblings. They both were on Royal Canin from the breeder when I first brought them home, and I switched them to Go Natural because I was familiar with the brand and knew it was a good food, and because it was listed on the dog food ratings as a good food as well. Both of my guys started to have soft serve poopies, and Dozer started to chow down on his deposits. UGH. I spoke to my vet about this, and she looked at the ingredients in the food, and she said it was too rich for them and also because It is chicken based My female Blossom couldn't tolerate it. She is allergic to chicken, and Dozer was attracted to the taste of the food because it is so rich, it has a lot of fruits and vegetables in it. So we temporarily went back to the Royal Canin, and when they were 7 months old, I put them on an adult formula kibble Fromms Beef Frittata, which is grain free, and both of them have been fine on this food, they have been on it for 8 months, and they both poo 2 or 3 times a day. I feed them 1 cup of kibble in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. Maybe try to cut down the amount of kibble you give to Collossus to 2 cups a day split into 2 feedings instead of 2 1/2 and see if this improves his poops.
We also give our guys 1 Tbsp of yogurt on their kibble in the morning, and they get salmon oil on their evening kibble. I also put 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water once a day. For treats they get cut up apples, green beans, cooked carrots, a hard boiled egg once a week usually on the weekends, bananas, strawberries, cheese strings once in a while, and when we wantbtomtrain them or get them to do something we use their kibble as a treat.

OP
RazrRila99

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] - Thank you for the advice. I will follow that guidance. I will try to cut his food down some. He likes his food (not unlike his dad). Right now Im feeding him Fromm Chicken Ala Veg, as a switch I will give him SurfnTurf or Beef Frittata. Im actually going to switch him over to Pork and Peas and Beef Frittata fully once the Chicken Ala Veg runs out. I took him off puppy formula Royal Canin to Fromm in April, didnt have any problems with the switch.

As for the poo eating its probably cause of the yogurt I put in his kibble last night, he hadnt had it before and he hadnt eaten his poo til then. I will cut back on the yogurt for next time.

Thank you both for the advice. Im just a paranoid puppy dad.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You're welcome, you can try cutting back to 1 cup twice a day first, or you can try the Fromms Beef Frittata, or Pork and Peas first , as a lot of bullies have problems with chicken and salmon. The Fromm Family of foods are an all stages food, and they are also interchangeable without having to do a slow transition between the different flavours, you can switch back and forth without causing tummy troubles.

I would think the changes in his poop were either from the food change from Royal Canin to the Fromms chicken, as it can take a while for the old food to leave their systems, or it could have been the chicken itself causing the soft poops, as a lot of bullies are sensitive to chicken. I don't think the yogurt would have had anything to do with his tummy problems, as yogurt is very beneficial to digestion and the probiotics are good for their tummies, so would help with diarrhea, not cause it. Good luck with the food switches, and I hope you find one that he tolerates.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online