Other So upset..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
This thread is more of a vent than anything. I know most of you understand what I'm going through so thanks in advance for reading..

This all started on 5/7- two days after Blues Rabies vaccine. First, he started getting a rash on his belly. It wasn't too bad when it first started, but quickly developed into hives.
I tried treating it by myself. First using Malaket wipes along with Neosporin, but when I realized he wouldn't stop itching, I switched to Benadryl ointment. When that didn't work, I started using Benadryl caplets. Nothing helped. I had to wrap him in a shirt to keep him from scratching open his scabs and contacted his vet. :cry:
In the middle of all this, he developed Cherry Eye in his left eye. The irony here is just a week earlier I took him to an Opthamologist for his right eye..lol.. She checked him out an all was fine. :cursing: We've managed to massage it back in but it's been coming out every 3-4 days. Last time was 3 days ago. Hoping for the best but know that the reality is he'll need to have it fixed eventually.

So, his Vet was here last week. Did a cytology (sp?) and it turned out to be a very bad yeast infection that spread all over. There's some bacteria too but she's hoping we can treat it without antibiotics- and put him on Chlorhexidine PS shampoo and Hydroxyzine tablets. No idea what caused it, but she said it's not food related as he's too young.

Then, last night, while we were giving him his third bath in 6 days, poor baby :( , we noticed a bald spot with a small bump. It's in the exact same place where we applied Frontline on 5/2. WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG??!

Here's a pic of his belly (it's actually way worse than it looks here), and his eye.

View attachment 43941View attachment 43942

I'm so upset, he's only 5 months old and I feel like we're failing him. :*(

Thanks for letting me rant... feel like i'm going.. :crazy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our Bully babies are very sensitive..... breathe!! :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Frontline can do that to bullies and can even get worse, we don't use it. he only thing we use for fleas and for heartworms is Sentinel. Poor boy, hope he gets better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wonder if this is all a reaction to the frontline. By your dates it sure seems like it, I would certainly contact them if I was you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Blue! Please don't feel like you're failing him. If you were failing him you wouldn't have tried to heal him yourself and you wouldn't have taken him to the vet and you wouldn't have made him t-shirts and you wouldn't have taken the time to let us all know what kind of a nightmare Sir Blueberry Muffin is going through. We cant help but get overly worried about our little guys because we love them so much and when everything happens all at once like is happening to him it gets incredibly frustrating and over whelming. Don't doubt for one second that you aren't a FANTASTIC mom that loves her Blue like no one's biz because he sure loves you a lot and would be in a much bigger mess if he didn't have you to watch over him! :assurred:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks all :).
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I thought about it and you're right, it all seems to coincide. Originally I thought it was the rabies vaccine as I know it has side effects, but the hair loss at the application site, well that's Frontline.
I checked their website and would you believe that don't have an email listed??!! WTH? So strange. So I sent an email to 1800petmeds which is were I purchased it from. Will also be sending snail mail to Frontline.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
AAAWWWWW! I wish me and Duke could give you guys a hug! it will all be ok.. we went through so much when Duke was young.. now he is 5 and we have different issues..they are our babies and it is upsetting when they are itchy or not well.. but in all honestly I think THEY handle better than us!!

Let us know what you find out!

:pouting:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks all :).
@desertskybulldogs I thought about it and you're right, it all seems to coincide. Originally I thought it was the rabies vaccine as I know it has side effects, but the hair loss at the application site, well that's Frontline.
I checked their website and would you believe that don't have an email listed??!! WTH? So strange. So I sent an email to 1800petmeds which is were I purchased it from. Will also be sending snail mail to Frontline.

CoCo, my Ragdoll cat who's 13 yo now reacted to Frontline about 6 yrs ago
and nearly died, it took her 5 days of barely hanging on to life before she started
to improve. There should be a 1-800 # on the box (may have to call your Vet) to
report reactions, that is what I used to report CoCo's near death.

Much love & prayers sending you & Blue from me & mine...GOD protect Blue!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@BabyDuke I think you're right. he seems to be handling this waaay better than me. [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] How terrible! I'm going to check the box today for the number just to report the hair loss at least. I'm also going to talk with my Vet later today. I don't want the bald spot getting worse, or the bump getting any bigger.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor baby, but that eye doesn't look bad at all. It's not really a sherry eye and it will most likely get better when his head grows a bit more. If it stays that small I would not put him through surgery. My Usko had that come out sometimes as a pup, but not so much anymore now that his head is big. For the yeast it's really better not to take antibiotics bc they also cause yeast. Buy some pro-and prebiotics they will also help with his immune system.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Dont take me as any kind of an expert but that eye doesn't look bad at all..... and while there is something on his belly it doesnt look serious at this point. Have you tried any aneceptic cream like neosporin or something like that on it.
Anyone that gets a puppy thru puppyhood isn't failing..... I dont know how you all do it... Amy sure is challenging my sanity.. ROFL:crazy:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I contacted Pet Food Direct and Frontline this morning (checked and didn't buy it from 1800pedmeds).
I'm getting a refund for the Frontline after my terrible Customer Service experience.

When I called, I mentioned that they should put warnings on their website for products that may cause reactions. She goes "That's what the manufacturer does, not us. We can't put it on every product".
I was livid, said "YOU SELL IT, IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO WARN PEOPLE OF THE ADVERSE EFFECTS FOR THE PRODUCTS YOU SELL!"
She wasn't getting it no matter what I said. Kept saying they won't do it, implying it's too much work as they sell thousands of products. Unreal. I finally had enough and asked to speak with a Manager. After being on hold forever, I got a very nice lady who understood and said she would be forwarding my feedback to their marketing department. Also gave me a refund.

Then I called Frontline. Spoke with someone who took a partial report, and said a tech is going to call me back within 24 hours.
It looks like they'll refund me my vet bill which I didn't expect.
I also said that their site does NOT mention any adverse effects either and how would a consumer know prior to purchasing their product that it may cause this?
How unfair it was etc. etc.

Anyway, all I did was complain this morning but feeling better for it :)

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Dont take me as any kind of an expert but that eye doesn't look bad at all..... and while there is something on his belly it doesnt look serious at this point. Have you tried any aneceptic cream like neosporin or something like that on it.
Anyone that gets a puppy thru puppyhood isn't failing..... I dont know how you all do it... Amy sure is challenging my sanity.. ROFL:crazy:

Yep, I used Neosporin for a few days. Didn't help. The belly is worse than it looks. When I took that pic, the light balance setting was off on my camera. You can auto adjust it in any program to see what I really looks like. It's pretty bad :(

LOL.. puppyhood is quite the challenge. But you're doing great :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
So sorry to hear of all the problems of late with Blue. If it helps I have gone down the same road with Otis. We had to have the cherry eye surgery in both eyes and we did it while he was being neutured. We also have gone through the hives and in our case it was allergies. Then onto his limping and MRI at the same time along with a spot between his shoulders that turned out to be mange and a very bad ear infection. I at times cried to Otis saying I'm so sorry I'm doing the best I can to help you and feel like nothing I do helps you. Now, knock on wood - I think we have gone through so much that I finally have things under control (knock on wood, please dont jinx myself).

So if you can look at it that way, get all of this stuff out of the way while he's young and you'll be prepared and ready for everything coming next. We even have had allergy test's done (which weren't cheap) and now he gets acupuncture once a week.

Hang in there, it's not easy by a long shot but you'll work it all out.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online