Has anyone had to have hip dysplasia surgery on both hips at the same time?

RipleyandBentley

May 13, 2013
Brighton, Colorado
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Ripley Jaxon & Bentley Winston
My little Ripley Jaxon is at the vet as I type this in surgery. He is only 14 months old but has had problems with his back legs since we got him at 11 weeks old and had done the bunny hop up the stairs with his back legs from day one. The vet said that we couldn't of done the surgery earlier due to his bones were still growing. Anyone out there with any advice after having this type of surgery?? :rolleyes:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
What surgery are you having? There are several treatments available for hip dyplasia.

Also, does he have other symptoms other than bunny hopping up the stairs?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH MY.... I have no experience, but wanted to send prayers and positive thoughts to you and Bentley for a safe procedure and quick, successful recovery.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Sorry, I don't have any advice but wanted to wish Ripley Jaxon a swift recovery!

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
My little Ripley Jaxon is at the vet as I type this in surgery. He is only 14 months old but has had problems with his back legs since we got him at 11 weeks old and had done the bunny hop up the stairs with his back legs from day one. The vet said that we couldn't of done the surgery earlier due to his bones were still growing. Anyone out there with any advice after having this type of surgery?? :rolleyes:

Hello Julie,

Sorry to hear about Ripley.

I thought I would write to you to tell you about our Bruno. He has had luxating patella surgery then a total hip replacement surgery and now has just undergone a surgery for a partial tear in his cruciate ligament. We're currently managing his post op care. He needs to be crated for 6 weeks. It's no fun but we are hoping this is the end of his issues.

We got Bruno at 6 months of age. He limped slightly on and off. It wasn't getting any better so we had him looked at. That's when we were told he had a luxating patella. We had the surgery for that then about 1 year later he starting hoping like your Ripley. We had him x-ray'd and found that both his hips were very bad. We decided to go with the hip replacement on the side that was the problem side but the surgeon recommended both sides needed to be replaced. We have since decided to leave the other hip as he has not presented with any hops or issues and if it aint broke dont' fix it right? Poor guy needs a break!

And here we are today, a limp developed over the last 6 weeks (on the same side). The above surgeries btw are both on the same side. Once again, off to the vet surgeon, xrays, blah blah surgery for a partial tear in his cruciate ligament (as stated above). We have no idea how the tear happened???

Now for Ripley......I don't think they (vet surgeon) would do a total hip replacement on both sides at once. I think you'll find they recommend one at a time. Bruno has a titanium hip replacement and the surgery and recovery went very well. My only advice would be to take him to a surgeon who has done this type of procedure on bulldogs before.

Good luck with everything and keep us in the loop.

Gloria

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending prayers for your beloved bully and finding a trusted, qualified & excellent Vet.

As Gloria said, please keep us posted. GOD bless you & yours!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi Julie, my rescue bulldog Joey has had surgery on both hips due to hip dysplasia, but not both at once so I don't really have any experience in that:unsure: She had hers with about a year and a half in between. She was pretty overweight when we got her and she's not very active so in her case I think to do one at a time was better. Both operations went well and she is still lazy and prefers to walk from space to space to sleep but at least she can do it without pain:)

As far as I know there are different ways to do this surgery, in Joey's case she could be up walking immediately, however I had to carry her around a lot anyway. It was a few hard weeks but gradually she became more and more active:) We've managed to keep her weight down with special food which was important in her case.

Wish you best of luck with little Ripley, he is adorable and I'm sure he will do great:D It will probably help that he is still young, our Joey was 4-5 years when she had her surgeries and had already developed a lazy habbit:ashamed::)

OP
RipleyandBentley

RipleyandBentley

May 13, 2013
Brighton, Colorado
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi everyone,

Ripley is doing well this morning. He ended up having a FHO (Femoral head ostectomy) on both sides. He is sitting up this morning but still drowsy. We will probably be able to bring him home this afternoon. Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. Now will be the fun part of trying to get him to use those legs to get around. He weighs 49 lbs. and is heavy to lift for me to carry, but his dad can carry him.

OP
RipleyandBentley

RipleyandBentley

May 13, 2013
Brighton, Colorado
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
FHO surgery. The bunny hop wasn't the only symptom, he kept hurting his back legs and then would limp or just not get up. Thanks for your reply.

OP
RipleyandBentley

RipleyandBentley

May 13, 2013
Brighton, Colorado
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Gloria,
Sorry to hear about the issues with Bruno. It sounds like you have been through it all with your guy. I hope they get him fixed up soon and he is on his way to a speedy recovery. They had to do a FHO on Ripley, yes both at the same time because they were both injured and he wouldn't be able to stand or pull himself up with the other leg anyways. So they just did them both so he wouldn't have to do another surgery or risk another injury to his legs. Makes sense, uh? They normally will not do this and we originally were not looking to do it this way, but some how he injured his better leg over the weekend and just was shutting down due to the pain he was in. So they decided to do both at the same time. Thanks for your story and I hope you get some relief with Bruno as well and hang in there.. Julie

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Glad to hear that Ripley is doing well this morning! Sending positive vibes for a speedy recovery!

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Gloria,
Sorry to hear about the issues with Bruno. It sounds like you have been through it all with your guy. I hope they get him fixed up soon and he is on his way to a speedy recovery. They had to do a FHO on Ripley, yes both at the same time because they were both injured and he wouldn't be able to stand or pull himself up with the other leg anyways. So they just did them both so he wouldn't have to do another surgery or risk another injury to his legs. Makes sense, uh? They normally will not do this and we originally were not looking to do it this way, but some how he injured his better leg over the weekend and just was shutting down due to the pain he was in. So they decided to do both at the same time. Thanks for your story and I hope you get some relief with Bruno as well and hang in there.. Julie

No problem Julie. You hang in there too. We all want the best for our babies.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The FHO is what Amelia's Orthopedic Vet is anticipating she will need for her luxated hips. She's only 11 weeks old right now though and he is thinking it will probably be done when she is about a year old, depending on how she acts. Right now she really doesn't act like she has any issues or pain. Sometimes she seems to be a tiny bit stiff when she first gets up out of her crate after sleeping, but it doesn't last long.

So I'll be interested in hearing how Ripley does. Please keep us posted. :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Get well soon Ripley - and yes, let us know how he progresses!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online