Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Thinning patches of fur

Barkley is a little over 6 months old now and we just started noticing some of his fur has been thinning on his back close to the base of his tail.

He didnt shed much when we first got him but now that it's gotten hotter (we live in Phoenix, so a LOT hotter), he's been shedding a good amount and I've realized most of it is coming from those thinning spots. It's gotten pretty noticeable over the past week and there are 2 white patches now (he's brindle colored). He hasn't been scratching or acting like anything is bothering him so I'm not sure what it could be from....

Any suggestions??

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thinning patches of fur

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
    Barkley is a little over 6 months old now and we just started noticing some of his fur has been thinning on his back close to the base of his tail.

He didnt shed much when we first got him but now that it's gotten hotter (we live in Phoenix, so a LOT hotter), he's been shedding a good amount and I've realized most of it is coming from those thinning spots. It's gotten pretty noticeable over the past week and there are 2 white patches now (he's brindle colored). He hasn't been scratching or acting like anything is bothering him so I'm not sure what it could be from....

Any suggestions??
    Buster had this same thing going on when he was around the same age as Barkley. Have you tried fish oil? It really helps the skin and made Buster's little patches go away. You add it to his food.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Blue has one baldish patch on his back where we applied Frontline Plus (will never use again). Have you applied any kind of flea/tick medication to the area? If it was already thinner, it could of made it worse.

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    Buster had this same thing going on when he was around the same age as Barkley. Have you tried fish oil? It really helps the skin and made Buster's little patches go away. You add it to his food.
    I haven't tried fish oil but have been thinking that might help so I'll prob pick some up and see if it helps!! Thanks for the advice!

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Blue has one baldish patch on his back where we applied Frontline Plus (will never use again). Have you applied any kind of flea/tick medication to the area? If it was already thinner, it could of made it worse.
    Hmmm we applied K9 Advantix there but that was about 3 weeks ago now, do you think it could have taken that long to cause a reaction?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Any suggestions??
    Could you post a picture of it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

No idea. But we applied it 5/2 and we noticed it for the first time last night. We know it's the Frontline because of the spot. It's supposed to be applied in the middle of the shoulder blades, but my hubs screwed up and it was way more to the side. Hence how we knew what it was, same exact spot.

I'm thinking it could of been thinning for a few weeks until it got bad enough for us to notice.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Any suggestions??
    Lola had a balding spot that continued to grow but didn't look like mange or a hotspot or alopecia. she ended up having a food allergy that presented that way. likely venison protein. she didn't itch or seem to mind, but you may want to consider switching foods, we didn't right away and now i don't think hair will grow back in most of the spot.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    Lola had a balding spot that continued to grow but didn't look like mange or a hotspot or alopecia. she ended up having a food allergy that presented that way. likely venison protein. she didn't itch or seem to mind, but you may want to consider switching foods, we didn't right away and now i don't think hair will grow back in most of the spot.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    I know how much we hate to change our bullies food BUT when I adopted Brutus
    he had many thinning places all over his body including several, small bald spots.

Tried different foods but finally landed on Avoderm's Grain Free kibble (Red Meat
    wk'ed best for him, the Salmon one made him fart!) and his coat filled in, noticably
    thickened and glowed, especially his white areas! Friends that knew him w/former
    owner that saw him after I adopted him couldn't believe the difference. Also cleared
    up several scabby areas under his hair. All this within 2-3 months.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Here is a pic of what it looks like....Hopefully you guys can see it ok!We have been feeding him Fromm Beef Fritatta but he's almost out of it so I'm thinking of trying him on the new pork and peas flavor and seeing if that helps. I'm also going to start him on a salmon oil supplement. I'm not sure if I should put his next K9 advantix application on when it's due though in case that's where it came from....If anyone has any other advice after seeing this pic please let me know!!Thanks so much for all the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo-jpg  

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Hi Everyone, so Barkley's thinning spot was starting to get better but within the last week or 2 it's gotten so much worse.

He's on Fromm Pork & Peas and the only treats he gets are peanut butter and frozen fruits and veggies, so I don't think it has anything to do with the food.

I took him to the vet for something else about a month and a half ago and had the vet look at this too. He said it just looked like his skin was really dry there and to use an oatmeal shampoo. I've been using an oatmeal shampoo and conditioner on him plus found some Burt Bee's skin cream that I've been putting on the spot, hoping it might help with the dryness. Nothing seems to be working though!

We've also been giving him salmon oil everyday in his food for the past month and a half or so. The rest of his coat looks great, so I don't know what's up with these spots!

We do live in Phoenix and it's been extremelyyyy hot (got up to 120 a couple weeks ago, yikes!)....Could that be possibly causing it? Is this something I might need to have the vet check out again?

-photo-29-jpg

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry...hoping she can help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads