Oh man.....Giardia AND Lyme.....any advice outside the norm?

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Long story short....Brembo was acting lethargic and wasn't eating in the morning...he'd only eat if I mixed his food with cottage cheese....

After 3 straight days of diarrhea I took him into the vet and got a stool sample AND Lyme test.

--Stool came back positive for Giardia
--Lyme test came back positive (which the vet said was odd because he wasn't experiencing any symptoms (he was only lethargic for a day and was otherwise acting normal)).

Any advice outside the norm?

I've been feeding him boiled chicken and rice for 3 days and JUST switched back to his Fromm. He has not pooped much since having diarrhea (only 1 time in 3 days) but just now he finally went and it was a yellow color. Is that normal?

His current meds are:

• Flagil (for the stool?)
  • Panacur (antibiotic)
  • Fortiflora (probiotic)

Once he's done with the meds for the Giardia, he has a 30-day supply of meds for the Lyme.

Have your dogs ever gotten Lyme? I am horrified!! I hope he'll be okay!! I hear the Giardia is common.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh boy, I sure hope Bremo recovers well. That's a lot to go through. I don't have any experience with either but I will tag a few members and hopefully they may be able to help out more than me. Emma got sick all last summer due to lake water. She ended up having to go on meds for that. That was the first time then that I had ever heard of Giardia. Lyme's from a tick right?

I'm going to move this over to the health section too. Should get more attention there. :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Wish I could offer you some help, unfortuantely I don't know anything about either, hang tight someone will come around and help. Wishing the best for you and Brembo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Giardia is common.... they can get it easily from eating or somehow taking in :poo: from other animals (rabbits, deer, birds) or contacting it from another dogs :poo: that they may have stepped in then lter licked their paw. Giardia is very contagious via :poo: so it is besst to keep Brembo away from other pets till it is totally gone.

Lymes.. that is from derr ticks, normally. Only symptoms I know of is being lethargic -- what others did the vet memtion?

As for the poo color.... yes, it is normal with giardia for the color to be odd and mucusy, almost gel like (ugh, I just gaged thinking of it)

Hope Brembo feels better soon....

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I have no experience with Giardia but I know when we put Bacon on a chicken and rice diet his stool turns that color. As far as they lymes disease goes fortunately for you they caught it early because left untreated it causes joint issues and it comes from tics. I would recommend getting Brembo the shot for lymes disease after he has finished his regimine of antibiotics. I would also check with the vet to make sure that it makes sense to get the shot. We've taken many tics off of Bacon since he was a puppy so he gets the lymes shot every year as part of his annual shots.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
We have lots of cases of lyme disease in my area, every month the county posts a count. If Brembo has had a lyme vaccine the disease will not be as severe. It can be long lasting with many doses of antibiotics . WE stay out of the woods around here just because its so common. Giardia is contagious yes, so it's necessary to keep everything clean as possible, crates, pick up poop immediately wash bowls, keep butts wiped and bedding clean lots of work to be done. If you can you might want to feed him smaller meals throughout the day.

just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online