Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Hi,

I posted few months ago about good products to clean Izzy's tail pocket and I followed the group instructions and watch all the videos available! Izzy has a pretty deep one and even her vet handled me the surgery paper when he first met her but unless it would be something 100% necessary I would prefer to stick to a rigid routine of cleaning than having my baby's tail removed.

Yesterday I decided to get to the bottom of our cleaning routine and not stop until the pad came out 100% clean.... it seems that it takes me a lot of TUCKS and gauze with solution to clean it.... I gave her a bath and with my finger I reached for her tail pocket and was able to remove some hair, then after the shower I went through at least 8-10 pads and 6 gauzes to get it clean. Does it usually take that many for a deep tail pocket???? I dont want to hurt her.... I love the numbed pads because after the second one she relaxes and enjoys it! (it's kind of cute to watch her reaction when I clean it). And I clean it if not daily at least every other day... so it's not like I clean once a week but it is always sooo dirty :(

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks!
577558_10151647045384254_1058428476_n.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It will only be that way until you actually kill the entire colony of bacteria/yeast. There are likely some left behind, which can grow again literally overnight. Tucks medicated pads is what you are using? Those should work but you must be diligent at cleaning it at least once a day, maybe even twice. Reach in and pull out all that hair you can get out, too. Once it's clear you should not have todo it everyday, you just need to keep a close eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
It will only be that way until you actually kill the entire colony of bacteria/yeast. There are likely some left behind, which can grow again literally overnight. Tucks medicated pads is what you are using? Those should work but you must be diligent at cleaning it at least once a day, maybe even twice. Reach in and pull out all that hair you can get out, too. Once it's clear you should not have todo it everyday, you just need to keep a close eye on it.

Oh, so the dirt that I see is still the bacteria... I get it now! I thought it would only be infected if it was more like a yeast infection which she had once before and the vet put some oinment on her.... so I guess I will do another deep cleaning today. I am just afraid to rub it too many times and give her a rash or something. Yesterday I held her butt up in the air and tried to pull with one finger her tail out of the pocket to see how deep it was and noticed the skim around it a bit pinkish....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That brown goop could be yeast, that would explain the rapid growth. She will likely have some pinkness after cleaning until it heals, her skin is probably raw from the bacteria/fungus but tucks are soothing for that too.

It may take something abit stronger to really kill the colony, if the tucks don't seem to help I would get some malacetic ultra.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
That brown goop could be yeast, that would explain the rapid growth. She will likely have some pinkness after cleaning until it heals, her skin is probably raw from the bacteria/fungus but tucks are soothing for that too.

It may take something abit stronger to really kill the colony, if the tucks don't seem to help I would get some malacetic ultra.

Yes! That's the solution that I use with the gauze... so first I use the TUCKS pads followed by the malacetoc ultra solution on the gauze. I guess I will continue my routine but make it daily until it clears.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - Thank you! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes! That's the solution that I use with the gauze... so first I use the TUCKS pads followed by the malacetoc ultra solution on the gauze. I guess I will continue my routine but make it daily until it clears.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - Thank you! :)

Ok great! You can also put gold bond up in there to keep it dry, using a pointy ketchup bottle or hair dye bottle with a tip

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lisa has you covered! Perfect information

Members online

No members online now.