Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Tail Pocket Revisiting topic

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Talking Tail Pocket Revisiting topic

    Hi,

    I posted few months ago about good products to clean Izzy's tail pocket and I followed the group instructions and watch all the videos available! Izzy has a pretty deep one and even her vet handled me the surgery paper when he first met her but unless it would be something 100% necessary I would prefer to stick to a rigid routine of cleaning than having my baby's tail removed.

    Yesterday I decided to get to the bottom of our cleaning routine and not stop until the pad came out 100% clean.... it seems that it takes me a lot of TUCKS and gauze with solution to clean it.... I gave her a bath and with my finger I reached for her tail pocket and was able to remove some hair, then after the shower I went through at least 8-10 pads and 6 gauzes to get it clean. Does it usually take that many for a deep tail pocket???? I dont want to hurt her.... I love the numbed pads because after the second one she relaxes and enjoys it! (it's kind of cute to watch her reaction when I clean it). And I clean it if not daily at least every other day... so it's not like I clean once a week but it is always sooo dirty

    Any thoughts would help.

    Thanks!

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  2. #2
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    It will only be that way until you actually kill the entire colony of bacteria/yeast. There are likely some left behind, which can grow again literally overnight. Tucks medicated pads is what you are using? Those should work but you must be diligent at cleaning it at least once a day, maybe even twice. Reach in and pull out all that hair you can get out, too. Once it's clear you should not have todo it everyday, you just need to keep a close eye on it.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  3. #3
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: Tail Pocket Revisiting topic

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    It will only be that way until you actually kill the entire colony of bacteria/yeast. There are likely some left behind, which can grow again literally overnight. Tucks medicated pads is what you are using? Those should work but you must be diligent at cleaning it at least once a day, maybe even twice. Reach in and pull out all that hair you can get out, too. Once it's clear you should not have todo it everyday, you just need to keep a close eye on it.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Oh, so the dirt that I see is still the bacteria... I get it now! I thought it would only be infected if it was more like a yeast infection which she had once before and the vet put some oinment on her.... so I guess I will do another deep cleaning today. I am just afraid to rub it too many times and give her a rash or something. Yesterday I held her butt up in the air and tried to pull with one finger her tail out of the pocket to see how deep it was and noticed the skim around it a bit pinkish....

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  4. #4
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    That brown goop could be yeast, that would explain the rapid growth. She will likely have some pinkness after cleaning until it heals, her skin is probably raw from the bacteria/fungus but tucks are soothing for that too.

    It may take something abit stronger to really kill the colony, if the tucks don't seem to help I would get some malacetic ultra.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  5. #5
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: Tail Pocket Revisiting topic

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    That brown goop could be yeast, that would explain the rapid growth. She will likely have some pinkness after cleaning until it heals, her skin is probably raw from the bacteria/fungus but tucks are soothing for that too.

    It may take something abit stronger to really kill the colony, if the tucks don't seem to help I would get some malacetic ultra.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Yes! That's the solution that I use with the gauze... so first I use the TUCKS pads followed by the malacetoc ultra solution on the gauze. I guess I will continue my routine but make it daily until it clears.

    - - - Updated - - -
    @desertskybulldogs - Thank you!

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  6. #6
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    Yes! That's the solution that I use with the gauze... so first I use the TUCKS pads followed by the malacetoc ultra solution on the gauze. I guess I will continue my routine but make it daily until it clears.

    - - - Updated - - -
    @desertskybulldogs - Thank you!
    Ok great! You can also put gold bond up in there to keep it dry, using a pointy ketchup bottle or hair dye bottle with a tip


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  7. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,177
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11511

    Default Re: Tail Pocket Revisiting topic

    Lisa has you covered! Perfect information
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •