Opinions anyone?

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Hi...after speaking with another ebn member, about flea control, and mentioning that this year for the first time i am going to try natural prevention instead of the sentinel that i've used in the past............
one of the things i have started doing is giving Forde about a half clove of fresh garlic every morning with his food.....i have been doing this for about 2 weeks now..........i know garlic can be dangerous for our pets if given in huge amounts...i read somewhere they would have to eat something like 50 cloves a day.....i want to know the opinions of others about this.......does anyone else give their bully garicl, if so how much..... does anyone think it can be dangerous in the amounts i am giving him...... by all means i want to do nothing that will harm my baby! :nope:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
This is from the ASPCA dot Org site (I copied and pasted):
[h=1]Is Garlic Toxic to Pets?[/h]
[h=3][/h]You listed garlic and garlic powder among people foods that should not be given to dogs, but I've always heard garlic is a natural wormer and antibiotic, and very good for dogs. Also, most recipes for homemade dog treats include garlic. Why the contradiction?

Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic, Jaspar. Unfortunately, we do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity. What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic.

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
thanks for the reply :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Welcome.
I read the same thing on other sites, ASPCA just seemed the most legitimate.
Honestly, considering how many issues our Bullies have and their sensitive bellies, I wouldn't chance it.

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
yeah....sort of what i am thinking now.....:( thank you again!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree, bullies are sensitive & react so easily to so many things but I know
many who give their dogs (cats too) garlic every day and never a problem.

I gave my cat Frontline (safe for nursing mothers & kittens, it said) and almost
lost her. Since then, the company is admitting to more adverse effects and DEATH
because so many people, including me, reported what happened to our pets.

Since then, I refuse to put poisons on my animals and regret I did for so many years.

I use food grade diatimaceous earth (do not breath in or let the pet either when applying
to skin, can add to their food too) can sprinkle on their bedding and around the house, etc.

Outside, can mix it with boric acid and treat yard.

Neem oil, lemon oil works...you can buy nematodes and put on yard (they kill fleas, etc).

There are just too many alternative methods that work than putting poisons on or in our
beloved pets.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I probably wouldn't want to take a chance w/the raw garlic either. I've heard of folks using Brewer's yeast and garlic tablet for flea prevention but i haven't had any personal experience w/it myself.
[MENTION=2572]FORDE'S MOM[/MENTION] ,I recently bought some herbal flea and tick spray. Here's a description of it:
"A natural combination of Rosemary and Cedar Oil which repels fleas and flies while deodorizing with a fresh herbal fragrance. Herbal Flea Spray can be used on pets and pet bedding."

Just something to use as an adjunctive agent.

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I agree, bullies are sensitive & react so easily to so many things but I know
many who give their dogs (cats too) garlic every day and never a problem.

I gave my cat Frontline (safe for nursing mothers & kittens, it said) and almost
lost her. Since then, the company is admitting to more adverse effects and DEATH
because so many people, including me, reported what happened to our pets.

Since then, I refuse to put poisons on my animals and regret I did for so many years.

I use food grade diatimaceous earth (do not breath in or let the pet either when applying
to skin, can add to their food too) can sprinkle on their bedding and around the house, etc.

Outside, can mix it with boric acid and treat yard.

Neem oil, lemon oil works...you can buy nematodes and put on yard (they kill fleas, etc).

There are just too many alternative methods that work than putting poisons on or in our
beloved pets.

I probably wouldn't want to take a chance w/the raw garlic either. I've heard of folks using Brewer's yeast and garlic tablet for flea prevention but i haven't had any personal experience w/it myself.
@FORDE'S MOM ,I recently bought some herbal flea and tick spray. Here's a description of it:
"A natural combination of Rosemary and Cedar Oil which repels fleas and flies while deodorizing with a fresh herbal fragrance. Herbal Flea Spray can be used on pets and pet bedding."

Just something to use as an adjunctive agent.

thank you all very much..it means so much to get other opinions....... @texascarol ....agree..it scares me to use the medications for fleas and ticks etc....i've heard so many scary things..... thanks for the tips on what to do @calibaker i already use a spray of rosemary and cedar oil......along with a few more that are suppose to help.....I was doing the garlic to provide him more protection....but it's looking like it's not in his favor to do so :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When I was feeding a raw diet made specificlly by a vet/nutrionist for Banks/Nitschke... it had garlic in it and I never had to use the flea/tick meds on them, but after Nitschke passed and Banks developed Colitis, I had to stop the raw diet and go back to the meds - hot happy about it so I am going to look into what you guys are saying.... since moving into the new house and this is our first spring/summer there... I have already pulled two ticks off Banks and three off of Cheli. :angry:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.