Help Needed! First time Bully Mom needs Skin help ASAP

Walters mom

May 15, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
I am a first time bully mom and we are from the heart of TX aka Allergy central. My little guys name is Walter and he is almost 5 months old. middle of last Monday I had noticed red raw areas in the photos below so we started a .05% Hydrocortisone Spray twice a day, it seemed to dry it out and it started to get scabby. Then we went to the vet on Friday and he gave use a wash routine with condition soap and then a leave in lotion called ResiCORT and let him air dry after the bath. I noticed that the area became red and raw again the next morning. This Monday we started him on Fish Oil and doing half a Zyrtec for the 24hr relief vs 8hr benadryl.

Now this afternoon I noticed the red areas are super dry but one of his leg areas are creating a slight swollen area.

From the photos does anyone know what is going on? Is this a hot spot or rash? Allergic reaction?

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 155
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 143
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 143

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all :welcome:... I'm not too good with skin problems..but I will tag some members that are! So glad you joined up! :)
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
This looks like the same thing Doughnut gets. I wipe the area with listerine twice a day for a few days and it goes away. His allergis are awful and he is on benadryl as well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like a rash you me. I would think the hydrocortisone cream would help. I'm not that good with skin issues as mine don't have that many. I hope the others tagged can help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yea... rash/irritation from an allergy. Banks gets something like this from being in the grass/weeds -- I clean the area with unscented baby wipes or witch hazel... then gold bond powder.

PABULLDOG

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gemma
I'm also having the same issue and don't know what to do. The rash is on her neck and she is constantly scratching. .jpeg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue has what looks like the exact same thing. Vet was here today and she did a culture? (think she called it something else). Anyway, she called tonight and said it was yeast with a little bacteria. She put him on "Duoxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo" 3x a week for the next week, and hydroxyzine 25mg tabs 1 1/2 tablets twice a day. She said it should work. Don't know if you need a script for the Hydroxzine, but you can get the shampoo on amazon.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am a first time bully mom and we are from the heart of TX aka Allergy central. My little guys name is Walter and he is almost 5 months old. middle of last Monday I had noticed red raw areas in the photos below so we started a .05% Hydrocortisone Spray twice a day, it seemed to dry it out and it started to get scabby. Then we went to the vet on Friday and he gave use a wash routine with condition soap and then a leave in lotion called ResiCORT and let him air dry after the bath. I noticed that the area became red and raw again the next morning. This Monday we started him on Fish Oil and doing half a Zyrtec for the 24hr relief vs 8hr benadryl.

Now this afternoon I noticed the red areas are super dry but one of his leg areas are creating a slight swollen area.

From the photos does anyone know what is going on? Is this a hot spot or rash? Allergic reaction?

Oh my, your poor baby, I can certainly see where the changes have irritated the healing process, raw dry then scabby and now dry again. This is just my take on the pictures I see. I believe the combination of everything is overkill on tender young pup skin. Lets try washing the belly with antibacterial soap and then allow to dry out for a day before you take the next step. question , what type of food are you feeding, this could be a good time to change to a good adult food. grain free and perhaps something without chicken as the protein. Just thinking about it.

A nice diaper cream might help with this rash. Desitine is our favorite. A thin layer every other day goes a long way. It's just a place to start and narrow down the rash. another question, did this start out as a small local spot or a large area getting bigger?

OP
Walters mom

Walters mom

May 15, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
photo-4.JPG Is this a Yeast infection? Could it be from the tummy leg area?

We are currently feeding him Merricks's Sweet Potato and Duck. Would this cause issues?

OP
Walters mom

Walters mom

May 15, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Oh my, your poor baby, I can certainly see where the changes have irritated the healing process, raw dry then scabby and now dry again. This is just my take on the pictures I see. I believe the combination of everything is overkill on tender young pup skin. Lets try washing the belly with antibacterial soap and then allow to dry out for a day before you take the next step. question , what type of food are you feeding, this could be a good time to change to a good adult food. grain free and perhaps something without chicken as the protein. Just thinking about it.

A nice diaper cream might help with this rash. Desitine is our favorite. A thin layer every other day goes a long way. It's just a place to start and narrow down the rash. another question, did this start out as a small local spot or a large area getting bigger?

It just started as a over all discoloring in that area and then the red rash.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 43067 Is this a Yeast infection? Could it be from the tummy leg area?

We are currently feeding him Merricks's Sweet Potato and Duck. Would this cause issues?

It doesn't really look like yeast, more like irritation for cleaning or scratching , gentle cleaning is in order and again a small dab of Desitin on the skin roll, not to close to the eyeball. this will keep the strong salty tears and itchiness away think cool , not hot. benadryl is my choice buy I believe your vet said zertick

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to say good night here, I get up at 3 am, we ll chat tomorrow. :2thumbs:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
we use Zyrtec all the time per our dermatologist.. it is twice the adult dose. so we give Duke two once a day..Hope the vet can get to the bottom of this. we went through so much with Duke's allergies.. keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.