Other Energy Level?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok so I am having a hard time figuring this one out. Winston has days that he is OFF the wall hyper and wants to play non stop. Then he gets in spurts like this week where all he wants to do is sleep and doesn't want to be bothered. It is spring time here in RI so I have started him on his benedryl again but he's been on it for a few weeks now and had lots of energy over the weekend when he went to daycare. Anyone else go through this? If so how can I get him excited so he will want to play & exercise because right now when I try all i get is the stink eye and then more snoring lol. He was like this when he had the yeast infection in his tail pocket but we have been very diligent with cleaning it and he is not itching at his bum at all anymore so I was worried something else was starting but I don't think thats it. I like when he has energy and is fun & playful. Sorry I am just rambling now lol.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How's the weather there in RI? if it's getting warmer then that could be why Winston's feeling more sluggish or low energy. Over the wknd here it's been so hot and i noticed a significant drop in energy from my guys. They would go for their morning walk and then for the rest of the day just lay around and sleep b/c of the heat. As long as he's eating and drinking and going potty fine, then it could just be a little phase. Benadryl does cause drowsiness but since you mentioned he's been on it for several wks now, probably not from that.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
The weather has been extremely NUTTY and I am wondering if that is part of it. It was almost 80 on friday and this week it has been in the 40's & low 50's then dropping to 30's at night cold enough that I had to turn the heat on again. Tomorrow back up in the high 70's again. It's crazy! The other strange thing is as soon as he sees another dog hes all ready to go with me hes a bump on a log lol. Everything else is fine as far as eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
How's the weather there in RI? if it's getting warmer then that could be why Winston's feeling more sluggish or low energy. Over the wknd here it's been so hot and i noticed a significant drop in energy from my guys. They would go for their morning walk and then for the rest of the day just lay around and sleep b/c of the heat. As long as he's eating and drinking and going potty fine, then it could just be a little phase. Benadryl does cause drowsiness but since you mentioned he's been on it for several wks now, probably not from that.

Although now that I am thinking about this more, I did notice a small cyst on his toe when I was cutting his nails. I wonder if that is bothering him?? I have been trying the epsom soaks and it shrunk it a little bit but its still there. Tonight I am going to go a different route and try peroxide and prep h.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rocky does this to me sometimes at home, but I get the one toy he can't resist, (2 liter coke bottle) and i squeeze it a few times to make the crinkling sound, and he's all go non stop for hours, only small breaks to get water, then right back to soccer and keep away. He also perks up significantly when my daughter has her Pitt Bull at the house, their something another else with their front paws, like amateur boxers in a ring batting one another. When I'm busy at work, and he decides to play, he becomes a terror, but when I stop and pay him attention he's ready to go. When i am working, sometimes he will go sit in the corner and hang his head like he's pouting, i'm okay with him sleeping on the couch, but hate when he pouts. I have noticed on days he's depressed, I walk him, and he walks directly to my truck, wanting a car ride! you may some of these things with Winston, and seee if he perks up....

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Im noticing with Colossus anytime there is a major temperature swing he either gets "nervous energy" or is sluggish the day of the change. We went from 70s to 90s from Monday to Tuesday - Monday was GREAT, yesterday he was just wandering and "nervous." This morning, he was back to his self chasing his toys (felt bad cause I had to leave for work and we didnt get to play last night). He did this at the beginning of the month when we went from 60s to 30s and snow.

Moral of the story, maybe its the temperature changes?

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Rocky does this to me sometimes at home, but I get the one toy he can't resist, (2 liter coke bottle) and i squeeze it a few times to make the crinkling sound, and he's all go non stop for hours, only small breaks to get water, then right back to soccer and keep away. He also perks up significantly when my daughter has her Pitt Bull at the house, their something another else with their front paws, like amateur boxers in a ring batting one another. When I'm busy at work, and he decides to play, he becomes a terror, but when I stop and pay him attention he's ready to go. When i am working, sometimes he will go sit in the corner and hang his head like he's pouting, i'm okay with him sleeping on the couch, but hate when he pouts. I have noticed on days he's depressed, I walk him, and he walks directly to my truck, wanting a car ride! you may some of these things with Winston, and seee if he perks up....

Thanks so much! I am going to try again with his toys tonight. The second I say car or daycare he runs outside though lol! Hes too funny! I miss his puppy energy, I never thought I would say that but I do. Rocky sounds like a cutie!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Im noticing with Colossus anytime there is a major temperature swing he either gets "nervous energy" or is sluggish the day of the change. We went from 70s to 90s from Monday to Tuesday - Monday was GREAT, yesterday he was just wandering and "nervous." This morning, he was back to his self chasing his toys (felt bad cause I had to leave for work and we didnt get to play last night). He did this at the beginning of the month when we went from 60s to 30s and snow.

Moral of the story, maybe its the temperature changes?

It's very possible! I know he is alwayyys like this in the summer which is 100% understandable but the spring is usually his "hyper" time. Maybe he will perk up a bit tonight!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.